Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gouvea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2019
São Paulo, Brazil
Hello,

I'm getting this error message "disk not ejected properly" on my new MacMini. I'm using two external HD's. I've used these same external HD's for years on my MBP with zero problems. Now, on this MacMini running OSMojave I get this error message.

Any ideas why?

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Hello,

I'm getting this error message "disk not ejected properly" on my new MacMini. I'm using two external HD's. I've used these same external HD's for years on my MBP with zero problems. Now, on this MacMini running OSMojave I get this error message.

Any ideas why?
Disable “put hard disk to sleep” in power preference.

I had the same problem with my Mac mini. After unchecking put HD to sleep, I no longer have that problem.

Gouvea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2019
São Paulo, Brazil
I´m not sure if it´s related, but I tried to install a font that had some validation problem and Font Book became unresponsive. This font is on one of this external HD´s.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Sometimes a "weak" drive connecting cable can cause problems like this...

Gouvea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2019
São Paulo, Brazil
Sometimes a "weak" drive connecting cable can cause problems like this...

I just tested this cable on my MBP and.. zero problems. But I think the problem is not on the hardware. I just noticed that one of the docking station lights (that indicates my Time Machine HD's activity) blinks continuously. On Time Machine Preferences I see the "Encrypting" message. Picture below:
https://imgur.com/gnasksK

There's an "i" icon on right side. When I click on it I see this message. Picture below:
https://imgur.com/2cxYYCq

Why's Time Machine encrypting my backups?

Gouvea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2019
São Paulo, Brazil
Today, I decided to erase my Time Machine partition, because I couldn't find a solution for the "Encrypting" message, and I suspected that it could be the cause of the problem related to this thread. But it didn't work. It happened again.

Now I have no idea what could possibly be causing this ejection problem.

Gouvea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2019
São Paulo, Brazil
Hi,
I am using the same thread to address the issue because I believe it is easier to understand the problem by looking at the thread history.

The problem is back. I turn on the docking station and after a few minutes the "disk not ejected properly" message appears again.

Today I tried to copy some videos from my mac mini to one of the hard drives and two things happened. The first is that the files started to take too long to transfer and after a few minutes the message "disk not ejected properly" appeared.

When I turned the docking station back on, I noticed that the files I was trying to transfer appeared on the external hard drive with a light gray description. While trying to access the file I saw the message below.

Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 10.33.02.png

When I tried to eject the hard drives, another message popped up.

Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 10.27.17.png

Should I buy another docking station??

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I would:
a. first try changing the connecting cable.
b. if that doesn't work, perhaps try another docking station.

zoltm

macrumors member
May 9, 2017
I have the same issue with a WD MyBook 8T usb3 external HD connecting with a cMP 2009. A paid small utility get my issue solved.

I think it well worth the money.

Thanks.

E

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I turn on the docking station and after a few minutes the "disk not ejected properly" message appears again.

I have had unexpected ejects with both a docking station and with drive enclosures from some vendors. Units from other vendors had no problems.

Tammy Murphy

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2020
I found out that disk corruption can cause this too.
I have two internal 3tb drives in a raid 1 on a 2009 mac pro and a sudden power outage corrupted one of the drives and had it showing that it had failed and the RAID was in a degraded state.

After trying a bunch of things to fix it, I eventually just threw in a swap drive and transferred over what I could, then broke the RAID, rebuilt it and transferred it all back over.
When I saw that the one drive had failed, I assumed a surge from the power outage fried it, but it passed a S.M.A.R.T check which meant it was still alive! lol

Find a spare drive, boot your mac into SAFE BOOT and transfer folder by folder.
I found that the drive stayed mounted MUCH longer in safe boot for some reason. But there was one folder (coincidentally the one with my time machine backups too) that just wouldn't transfer, every time I tried, the disk would eject and I would have to reboot and start over.
Once you have transferred everything you can, format the drive and transfer back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.