Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

addictive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
As the title suggests - I'm interested in exploring the possibility of buying an iPad and using it as my replacement for my iPhone. I'd like advice on whether people think it is possible or from people that have done it and it worked for them or if it didn't work for them.

I love my iPhone - love it. But a few things that make me think about an ipad.

I very rarely use it as a phone. I do not often call people, i get a huge amount of minutes and texts bundled each month in my tariff and i'd have thought i use only about 10%. However, it is data which I use a lot of.

I'm a voracious reader of all types of news and content and while its fabulous being able to pull out my iphone and consume this content anywhere if i have spare minute reading on the smallish iphone 4S screen is a little cumbersome. Even if it is Retina!

I do not play games on my iPhone. I don't play computer games at all on any system or console.

The battery life on the iphone is a problem to me. As a heavy user of the touch display i find i get a lot less than a whole days usage and need to plug it in and charge during the day.

I've never owned an ipad before although family members have them and i have used them. I think/imagine from my needs and habits would be suited to an ipad and as soon as the new models come out likely in 3Q i'll make a purchase.

Money isn't an issue on this. Of course their is the cost of the product iPhone or/and iPad. But i'm not looking to give up my iphone because of the cost which is extremely manageable.

Am i naive in thinking an ipad could replace my iPhone? Is the ipad (mini) a truly portable device?

For staying in touch with people on the go I guess I would have iMessage and Skype. On the iphone i use Whats App for staying in touch with friends overseas (as its free). Is there a messaging app like this for the iPad?

I guess i would have to also have a mobile phone too but i'm thinking i could have a phone which simply makes calls and sends texts which also has battery life for days. However, does this idea negate the usefulness of the iPhone as i would have to carry more than one/multiple products in my pocket/with me. The iphone solved that problem, would I feel like i was going back in time having to carry multiple products on me?

I'm really keen to hear from other board members on this topic. If this question has been asked before please post links so i can check out what was asked. Or move this topic if its not in the correct category on the board. Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I recently got an iPad mini, in addition to my iPhone. Other than phone calls, it has pretty much replaced my iPhone for most functions. I wouldn't get rid of my iPhone, as I need the phone function, but it may work for your situation.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I would think it may be tough to ditch the iPhone.

Think about the times when you go somewhere and don't want to drag around your iPad. You'll either end up with a dumb phone and not have access to data and all the other fun stuff the iPhone has or you'll have a semi-smart phone.

I don't think you mentioned what you were planning to replace your iPhone with.

addictive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
I would think it may be tough to ditch the iPhone.

Think about the times when you go somewhere and don't want to drag around your iPad. You'll either end up with a dumb phone and not have access to data and all the other fun stuff the iPhone has or you'll have a semi-smart phone.

I don't think you mentioned what you were planning to replace your iPhone with.

I didn't mention what (phone) I would replace my iphone with but I guess it would be a very basic old style phone probably with a keypad:eek: like a decade old nokia or something which has incredible battery life but is simple enough just to make calls and texts.

I do think it may not be possible to ditch the iphone for an ipad but i do want to explore the option and hear from people about their experiences or thoughts on the matter.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I bike, so it would be tough to carry an iPad, even an mini, on my 10-speed. :)

But OK, you don't bike, but do you date? Would it be just uber-geek to carry an iPad to your date?

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I didn't mention what (phone) I would replace my iphone with but I guess it would be a very basic old style phone probably with a keypad:eek: like a decade old nokia or something which has incredible battery life but is simple enough just to make calls and texts.

I do think it may not be possible to ditch the iphone for an ipad but i do want to explore the option and hear from people about their experiences or thoughts on the matter.

I was thinking of dropping my iPhone and getting an iPod touch earlier today actually. I'd save on data, but not really being on a family plan. It's also a lot easier to just have one device rather than dealing with two.

The iPhone is the 2nd time since my first cell phone in 2000 that I was actually satisfied with. I don't see myself ever going without it, but I would consider picking up an iPad.

addictive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
Would an ipod touch suffice?

I've been thinking whether i could do this iphone to ipad transition. I'm still not certain.

But i've been thinking maybe I could buy an ipod touch which would keep my apps with me but clearly i would still need the phone part. So yes, i would have two products on me the whole time.

Does anyone use both an ipod touch and a mobile phone on a daily basis and if so does it work well or is it not worth recommending?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.