Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you still use iTunes to manage your iDevices

• Yes

Votes: 54 68.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 9 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Im wondering if after iCloud people still use itunes to manage their devices.

iPusch

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Manhattan, New York
Im wondering if after iCloud people still use itunes to manage their devices.

No free iCloud storage, I used my 5 gigs and then I disabled the iCloud cause I only got notifications that I have no free iCloud storage anymore but now I have free 5 gigs cause I deleted the iCloud data & I can't backup my iPad, I only use iPad on this iCloud account. I don't know what to do soi sometimes back up over iTunes on my mac

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
No free iCloud storage, I used my 5 gigs and then I disabled the iCloud cause I only got notifications that I have no free iCloud storage anymore but now I have free 5 gigs cause I deleted the iCloud data & I can't backup my iPad, I only use iPad on this iCloud account. I don't know what to do soi sometimes back up over iTunes on my mac

You can upgrade to 15gb for $20/year

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
For someone with my kind of internet service (3Mbs DSL), iTunes is still the practical approach. I do appreciate being able to download a previously purchased item. Sometimes I will offload something to archives and then decide I want it back, etc. So now I don't have to scrounge around for finding the offload on an external drive. I never index any of that stuff so it's like a scavenger hunt if I actually need to fish something out of archives.

As far as iTunes Match goes, it's not worth it to me to risk finding out that a lot of my classical stuff would end up as uploads. It's not the storage cost. It's the bandwidth consumption getting it there, or down again. I have the CDs still, in most cases. I have the rips all backed up, sometimes in multiple formats.

So what do I really need of an opera in the cloud, would I ever actually download it from there? I tend to think not. Maybe if I wanted someting in nicer format than my original rip and I couldn't find the CD without spending two days looking for it.

But there doesn't seem to be a way to do extremely selective iTunes Matches like that unless setting up a separate library on a laptop and matching just what I elected to put into that library. That's a time consuming setup. A lot of weighing costs v. benefits involved here.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
The infrastructure isn't there yet for iCloud to be the end all be all of storage. And I've got all my movies and shows in iTunes, even the ones that weren't purchased from the iTunes store.

So far, I've had zero issues with iTunes. It's pretty reliable, syncs well with all my devices and with iPhoto. No complaints at all. Now if I could full on control iTunes directly from my iPad, that would be even better.

jomirrivera

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
For someone with my kind of internet service (3Mbs DSL), iTunes is still the practical approach. I do appreciate being able to download a previously purchased item. Sometimes I will offload something to archives and then decide I want it back, etc. So now I don't have to scrounge around for finding the offload on an external drive. I never index any of that stuff so it's like a scavenger hunt if I actually need to fish something out of archives.

As far as iTunes Match goes, it's not worth it to me to risk finding out that a lot of my classical stuff would end up as uploads. It's not the storage cost. It's the bandwidth consumption getting it there, or down again. I have the CDs still, in most cases. I have the rips all backed up, sometimes in multiple formats.

So what do I really need of an opera in the cloud, would I ever actually download it from there? I tend to think not. Maybe if I wanted someting in nicer format than my original rip and I couldn't find the CD without spending two days looking for it.

But there doesn't seem to be a way to do extremely selective iTunes Matches like that unless setting up a separate library on a laptop and matching just what I elected to put into that library. That's a time consuming setup. A lot of weighing costs v. benefits involved here.

I'm trying to get rid of every single file in my computer and moving completly to the cloud, but the internet connection is the limiting factor, I have a 4Mbps connection and IMO you need at least 10 to have a pleasant experience working with everything in the cloud. Currently I'm experimenting and I decided to go completly itunes free to see what icloud is capable of doing, but I've been doing this for just about two weeks so it is to early to jump into any conclusions.

I think icloud is very capable of providing an itunes free experience but I definitely believe it can improve a lot more!

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I use iTunes. I already pay quite a lot for additional Drop Box space and data packages and so on, so not interested in paying more at the moment for cloud sync of iPad. Syncing to iTunes at regular intervals works well for me, I spend hours working on both my Air and my iPad every day, so I just plug it in and keep doing what I'm otherwise doing.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
No, I don't plug my devices into iTunes anymore. Not since iOS5 was released.

Between Dropbox, Rdio and iCloud, there's very little need.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Still using iTunes, for one when purchasing through the app store on iOS it annoyingly throws you back to the home page after every purchase. Who ever thought that was a good idea and should not be optional should be canned.

Music is much more manageable under iTunes vs iOS. Under iCloud it's all or none mentality where as I can customize what I want to sync to what device through iTunes via playlists.

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
I tend to use the wireless sync more than the wired sync, but I definitely use iTunes. I like my iDevice backups on my computer and backed up locally.

My music library fits on my devices w/o any issues, so I haven't even messed around with iTunes match. Once in a while it would be nice to eliminate the 5 computer limit, or remove the rest of the DRM, but it's just not that big of a deal...

To me iTunes isn't the issue - it's physically plugging my devices in I don't like. I wish iPhoto had a wireless import also. I don't use PhotoStream, but I would like to be able to offload my iPhone pics with my wireless iTunes sync...

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
All of my musics can't be streamed because not all of them are available through iTunes. I do use my iTunes for backup & syncing movies and stuff.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I use iTunes for everything. I have way too much stuff for iCloud to handle so that's not really an option. iTunes works for me though so no complaints. I have all my music on my iPod Classic. I have select tunes for travel/workout on my iPod nano. My MBP is my desktop, so to speak, so it has everything on it. 2TB backup drive to back everything up. And my iPad has a little bit of everything on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.