Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
After trying out a different setup with Springtomize 2, going back to the regular 20 icon made me feel cluttered and cramped :(

photo-2.png

photo.png

Anyone else feel this way?

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
I never felt cramped, but, even if I did, I'd still go with the 20 icons to keep as much on one page as possible. Having to turn pages to get to anything would quickly become far more bothersome to me.

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
you know you don't have to fill up the entire page, right?

Obviously :rolleyes:

The main problem is the cramped spacing of icons on the screen. It's not like taking out a couple of icons would suddenly make it feel less cramped since the remaining ones are still very cramped.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
When you first turned on the iPhone and it looked like the 3GS picture below. With only 18 App Icons (Counting the Dock). I set up every other page to match the first one... Never putting an App in the last two spots, so each page had exactly 18.

Yes, I am that picky.

iphone.png

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
A prime example of the human brain's adaptive powers at work. Stare at a 5" screen for a couple of weeks and a normal sized phone starts to look 'tiny'. Wear one of them ridiculously big watches for to long, and a gents sized watch is suddenly for girls. Listen to your way too bassy HT setup for a while, and your buddy's tight sounding stereo appears bright and tinny. Use anything long enough and it will become 'right'.

Even fitting twelve icons in a space that could comfortably accommodate twenty.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
On my iPhone, I have the first row only. That way I can enjoy my wallpaper :) page 2 and 3 are the same way.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
A prime example of the human brain's adaptive powers at work. Stare at a 5" screen for a couple of weeks and a normal sized phone starts to look 'tiny'. Wear one of them ridiculously big watches for to long, and a gents sized watch is suddenly for girls. Listen to your way too bassy HT setup for a while, and your buddy's tight sounding stereo appears bright and tinny. Use anything long enough and it will become 'right'.

Even fitting twelve icons in a space that could comfortably accommodate twenty.

All too true... Especially with speakers

Thats what happened to me with Home Theater Systems, I bought my first surround set up (a HTIB) when I was 16 by saving up money from my first job. Then I upgraded the receiver, then the speakers, then the sub, then the receiver again, then the speakers again, then I sold it and went all out... Spent way too much money... I would be happy, then it slowly become less impressive, and i would crave better sound.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I love the "then don't fill the page" responses. It's not like if the page isn't filled the icons are any more spaced out. They are just as cramped, aligned to the top left. I don't have an issue with "crampedness", but simply recommending the user not fill the page isn't going to do the trick, at all.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I don't think it's cramped, but I only keep 8 main apps that I access most frequently on the home screen. Everything else is in folders on screen 2 and 3.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
I put everything into folders. Two rows with 4 folders each makes a very clean home screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.