Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

so

• Yes

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • No

Votes: 62 71.3%
  • Not sure

Votes: 5 5.7%

• Total voters

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
don't really miss the curved edge, but I do think this design would have benefited from ther chamfered edge.

anthony13

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2012
I wish there were color options, but I love the squared edges. I haven’t liked the iOS device designs since the 5 to be honest.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Nope. I loved the curves when I had em. But I totally embrace the new design. More industrial. I dig that. Change is good.

Treebark

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
Yep and I also I miss the Rose Gold :( Silver and Grey is boring.

I find it a bid odd Apple has lost color in several product lines. Gold in iPads and a very darkish current band market for the Apple Watch. I get that it is winter and they change the watch bands, but I doubt they throw out a gold iPad Pro until next year (if even then).

And the cases only have two colors too. Seems odd.

I never liked the curves, so I’m glad it is back to a more boxy edge.

mlemonds

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
Lexington, KY
I find it a bid odd Apple has lost color in several product lines. Gold in iPads and a very darkish current band market for the Apple Watch. I get that it is winter and they change the watch bands, but I doubt they throw out a gold iPad Pro until next year (if even then).

The color seems to be mostly lost in the “pro” line. iPads and MacBooks anyway.

Treebark

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
The color seems to be mostly lost in the “pro” line. iPads and MacBooks anyway.

I suppose that makes sense if they market those lines to professionals, but just like in the camera world there are a lot of prosumers out there too, and some would want more color choices. ;)

But you are probably correct, it may be a conscious decision by Apple to separate the lines.

Reactions: mlemonds

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver

I think that's how Apple has always been with product design. Remember the first iMacs? At first everyone (the baby internet of the time) was making fun of them even though they were popular with Apple fans. I worked at Target at the time and soon after you could buy almost anything in that translucent style plastic. I mean anything. Disposable cameras. Phones. Caller ID boxes (remember when those were separate?). Curling irons. I kid you not. Curling irons.

Once retail was on the bandwagon with this design, though, Apple started it's shift to their snow-white theme. Then, after everyone was copying that, they moved to their industrial aluminum phase. Same thing happened with the phones. They don't sit still for too long.

Upcoming products will start to follow the current iPad Pro's design cues in the next year probably.

Reactions: Aston441

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I said the chamfered edges sucked and were so played out and I got flamed all to hell for it ("why do you want change for the sake of change??") and look at that, barely anyone wants them back now.

Reactions: profets

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
I do, curved edges were more comfortable to hold than the sharp square edges. But people care more about new fashion and visual design changes than objectivity, so this year is square, maybe in a few years we'll go back to round. And the fashion cycle continues.

Reactions: Aston441

Nanotyrns

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2012
Denver
I said the chamfered edges sucked and were so played out and I got flamed all to hell for it ("why do you want change for the sake of change??") and look at that, barely anyone wants them back now.
I didn't notice them so much on the iPad though the iPhone 5/5s with it's chamfered edges and slate black back cover is, to me at least, the best looking phone they've ever made. I liked the iPhone 4 too and the new iPad Pro really reminds me of that design more than anything.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I do, curved edges were more comfortable to hold than the sharp square edges. But people care more about new fashion and visual design changes than objectivity, so this year is square, maybe in a few years we'll go back to round. And the fashion cycle continues.

I hear ya, in my opinion the new iPad is more comfortable to hold, but to each his own. I also thought the 4 and 4s were the most comfortable iPhones.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I actually hold my iPads in a way that the edges would cut into my fingers (over time) to the point of discumfort. I enjoy longer sessions with this design over the 10.5.

Lots of things I like on the 10.5, but the curved edges weren’t really ever a feature for me.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I didn't mind the chamfered edges at first but after a few years I really didn't care much for that design.

I also got quite tired of it as it had been around for 6 years (first launched with the iPhone 5, iPod touch 5th gen and iPad mini in 2012).

fm_carv

Suspended
Aug 3, 2015
with these boxy non chamfered 2018s?

Nope

The chamfered edges really cut into my hand while holding the iPad.

Not to mention the nightmare with dents.

These straight edges with no sharp corners make it perfect to hold the iPad with one hand

Perfect!

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I didn't notice them so much on the iPad though the iPhone 5/5s with it's chamfered edges and slate black back cover is, to me at least, the best looking phone they've ever made. I liked the iPhone 4 too and the new iPad Pro really reminds me of that design more than anything.

Yeah, the chamfered edges were great in 2012 when they came out. In 2017 on the Xth iPad in a row, not so much.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I actually didnt like what they did with the iPad 2. The original iPad design always wow'd me when I saw it. Im glad they went back to it. I do hope the iPhones eventually do too. I loved resting my iPhone on its side for some bizarre reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.