Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moshiiii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Sarasota, FL
free shipping on orders exceeding a certian value? I can't justify spending $400 then spending $175 dollars on shipping.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Moshiiii said:
Theres not one in my state :(

The nearest one is only about 8 hours away, isn't it? Half the fun of Ikea is walking through it and finding all the things that don't make it into the online or paper catalogue.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
when I bought my bed at Ikea I had to shell out another 20 or 40 bucks to have it trucked to my house and that was in the same city as the store.

So as far as I know, you pay for shipping with ikea.

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
ikea's buisness model is based on them making flat packages of cheap furniture, and you going to get it yourself, take it home yourself, and put it together yourself. they do not want to ship you stuff which is why the web site never has all the product they make, and why shipping is expensive and takes a long time.

danielbriggs

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2006
Manchester, UK
bousozoku said:
Half the fun of Ikea is walking through it and finding all the things that don't make it into the online or paper catalogue.

Hee hee... take ALL (I mean ALL) of the free pencils and paper rulers, and run round switching all the lights on and off! THEN at the end, buying oodles of dime bars, a curly bamboo shoot I don't even need and a 10p icecream.

Well that's usualy how it goes! :D

Glen Quagmire

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
danielbriggs said:
Hee hee... take ALL (I mean ALL) of the free pencils and paper rulers, and run round switching all the lights on and off! THEN at the end, buying oodles of dime bars, a curly bamboo shoot I don't even need and a 10p icecream.

Well that's usualy how it goes! :D

What a valuable member of society you are. :rolleyes:

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
bousozoku said:
The nearest one is only about 8 hours away, isn't it? Half the fun of Ikea is walking through it and finding all the things that don't make it into the online or paper catalogue.

I love Ikea!

I agree, the shopping experience is worth the trip if you are close enough. But not on weekends, it's like being on an assembly line, wall to wall people. Can't even move. My friend from Rhode Island would drive just to NJ just to go there. That's like a 4-6 hours trip!

You do pay shipping. I was buying my furniture set and I think they have a discounted rate within 50 miles or something like that. But otherwise they charge you shipping. And for what i was ordering it would have cost almost $200 to ship everything, so it isn't cheap. That was almost half the price of my order. I didn't think it would fit in the car, they suggested I rent a uhaul since I am only an hour away from the store. But I took a chance and it ended up all fiting in my car after all. Some smaller items they don't even ship.

And those Lingonberry drinks are delicious. I buy one every time I'm there. Actually their food isn't bad in general and cheap too.

Moshiiii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Sarasota, FL
I double checked the site to see if there was one in Florida. They are making a Ikea store in "Sunrise" Florida Summer 2007.. I don't even think there is a "Sunrise" Florida so thats probably the project name. I might have to go with a regular desk :(

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Foxglove9 said:
I love Ikea!
And those Lingonberry drinks are delicious. I buy one every time I'm there. Actually their food isn't bad in general and cheap too.

I used to shop at the Plymouth Meeting store outside Philly but the Elizabeth, NJ store went up while I was still in the area. I think that was the 2nd store in the U.S.A. at the time. Now, there are around 10, maybe more.

I think that I ate at the store every time I visited just because it was good and inexpensive. Where else can you get Swedish food at a decent price?

Moshiiii said:
I double checked the site to see if there was one in Florida. They are making a Ikea store in "Sunrise" Florida Summer 2007.. I don't even think there is a "Sunrise" Florida so thats probably the project name. I might have to go with a regular desk :(

Sunrise is just off U.S. 1 and I-95 near Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. I believe there is an Apple store near there.

Of course, that's not much nearer than Atlanta, 6 hours vs. 8 hours.

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
If you are looking for a stylish Ikea like desk (my opinion) - I would check out
http://www.legarefurniture.com

The shipping is not to bad and you can catch some deals in the clearance section, not to mention they are "fun 2 assemble"(there words :p)

I have one of the corner desks with the add on peninsula & a book case
4.jpg

mattjgalloway

macrumors member
May 21, 2006
bousozoku said:

Wowza. You guys in the states sure don't mind travelling! My nearest one in the UK is about 1 hour away and there's a small store opening where I live and that's come as a delight to cut down the times!

It makes you realise just how small the UK is compared to other countries!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
mattjgalloway said:
Wowza. You guys in the states sure don't mind travelling! My nearest one in the UK is about 1 hour away and there's a small store opening where I live and that's come as a delight to cut down the times!

It makes you realise just how small the UK is compared to other countries!

Yes, some of the individual states are bigger than England; perhaps, bigger than the whole U.K. Considering that we've got nice, wide roads in most places, it's a pleasure to go places. I'd rather use public transportation but there isn't any where I live now. When I lived around Philadelphia, I used public transportation 90 % of the time.

When there was no Apple store here, I used to drive to the store in Tampa, which is about 90 minutes away, but I'd go a little further to get Skyline Chili and I'd also visit some other stores and fill the whole day.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
bousozoku said:
Yes, some of the individual states are bigger than England; perhaps, bigger than the whole U.K. Considering that we've got nice, wide roads in most places, it's a pleasure to go places. I'd rather use public transportation but there isn't any where I live now. When I lived around Philadelphia, I used public transportation 90 % of the time.

When there was no Apple store here, I used to drive to the store in Tampa, which is about 90 minutes away, but I'd go a little further to get Skyline Chili and I'd also visit some other stores and fill the whole day.

I've got two Ikeas within an hour's drive (Edinburgh and Glasgow), but the nearest apple store is Manchester - 230 miles away. With Manchester city traffic it's probably 5hrs to get there. Not to mention halfway across the UK. The most annoying thing is the nearest Bang & Olufsen store is less than a 2min walk from my flat. Yet there's no Apple store in Scotland. Four B&O stores, and no Apple store. Grr. :rolleyes:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
bigandy said:
I've got two Ikeas within an hour's drive (Edinburgh and Glasgow), but the nearest apple store is Manchester - 230 miles away. With Manchester city traffic it's probably 5hrs to get there. Not to mention halfway across the UK. The most annoying thing is the nearest Bang & Olufsen store is less than a 2min walk from my flat. Yet there's no Apple store in Scotland. Four B&O stores, and no Apple store. Grr. :rolleyes:

Scotland is a little closer to Scandinavia than to California. :)

If the B&O store in that close, is it closer than take away food?

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
bousozoku said:
Scotland is a little closer to Scandinavia than to California. :)

If the B&O store in that close, is it closer than take away food?
no, the nearest chinese is 30 seconds from my front door. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.