Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
If all this learning is local to the device and not tied to an Apple ID can there be cross device support? And what happens when I get a new phone? Does the new phone have to relearn all this stuff or does it come over if I restore from iCloud? But I'm not sure how it would if it's all local to the device. Why is Apple so opposed to having this machine learning in the cloud?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
If all this learning is local to the device and not tied to an Apple ID can there be cross device support? And what happens when I get a new phone? Does the new phone have to relearn all this stuff or does it come over if I restore from iCloud? But I'm not sure how it would if it's all local to the device. Why is Apple so opposed to having this machine learning in the cloud?
My guess is that you can do a full device backup and the settings should be carried over when you restore over to a new device.

Apple seems quite dedicated to this new pro-privacy shift. The cynic in me thinks that Apple knows they are weakest in cloud and online services, so why not spin that into a benefit and get to knock Google while you are at it?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
My guess is that you can do a full device backup and the settings should be carried over when you restore over to a new device.

Apple seems quite dedicated to this new pro-privacy shift. The cynic in me thinks that Apple knows they are weakest in cloud and online services, so why not spin that into a benefit and get to knock Google while you are at it?
I suppose but you can't fool consumers. Plus I find their stance a bit confusing. Privacy and security are not the same thing. I have no problem if Apple knows things about me as long as they keep that secure and don't share it with anyone.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Based on what they said I would be surprised if cross device support was possible. As it looks, if you have an iPhone and an iPad your Proactive experience would likely be different.

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010

On the backup/new device thing...
Last night I did my usual iTunes backup. Installed iOS as a new device, then restored the iTunes backup.
All my health data and watch activity info was gone. I then learned that all that info is only backed up if you enable the option to encrypt backups... to be honest, not sure why I've never had that enabled anyway.
So I'm assuming that Proactive will be the same, backed up only if you have encrypted backups enabled in iTunes.

Saving point for me, was restoring from my last iCloud backup (2 days ago), which does retain heath info and watch activity info. It just takes so much longer to restore on a 4Mb connection..

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
On the backup/new device thing...
Last night I did my usual iTunes backup. Installed iOS as a new device, then restored the iTunes backup.
All my health data and watch activity info was gone. I then learned that all that info is only backed up if you enable the option to encrypt backups... to be honest, not sure why I've never had that enabled anyway.
So I'm assuming that Proactive will be the same, backed up only if you have encrypted backups enabled in iTunes.

Saving point for me, was restoring from my last iCloud backup (2 days ago), which does retain heath info and watch activity info. It just takes so much longer to restore on a 4Mb connection..
Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully, Apple will take note of this and ask users to encrypt their data while backing up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.