Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelgettys

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
With the iPad coming out and having a bigger screen mess up our chances for seeing a little bigger screen on the iPhone? I would love the see the 4.3 inch screen like the new htc going to sprint but anyone think this will happen now? or at least 3.7 to match the "standard" of the new phones out now?

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2010
New York
It's so good to hear that HTC raised the bar for Apple. The iPhone will either sink or catch up to HTC. IMO Apple is too closed minded to give the customer what they want and will in no way come out ahead come June/July.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
Urgh, I hadn't thought of that angle.

It's so good to hear that HTC raised the bar for Apple. The iPhone will either sink or catch up to HTC. IMO Apple is too closed minded to give the customer what they want and will in no way come out ahead come June/July.

I've been wanting a bigger screen for over a year now but I have the same fear as you. It'd be an easy way to show some change in the design, appeal to people that want to look like they've got the latest and greatest.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I have a HD2. The phone is very uncomfortable to hold and operate in one hand at certain times (lying down or reclining, it's very awkward to hold without two hands). It's just too big for a phone. Get that Dell tablet if you want a giant phone.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Wow, how did you even formulate this thought when Apple is clearly the consumer favorite in just about everything they make.

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2010
Boston
I believe everything is always nice and dandy AFTER apple has a major phone release. For example, competitors see the new iPhone and try to best it, like the Evo and Nexus right now. But, come this summer, Apple will trump competition again, probably not by specs, but just because it is Apple.

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow

what an utterly wrong statement on so many levels..:rolleyes:

EDIT
please tell me that this was an ironic attempt at humor and not a serious statement....

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
If I had to chose I'd go for a thinner iPhone over a larger screen. I think we may get both.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I'm sure Apple purposely didn't change the iPhone dimensions last year because they'd just announced the accessory APIs improvements a few months earlier. If they announced in March that people could start making stuff and then in June changed the size of the phone people would be pissed. Doing so over a year later though is quite acceptable, so might very well see an improvement in size over the 3GS equal to two years advancement.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Got any kind of source for this quote? :rolleyes:

I remember Jobs saying years ago that people didn't want video iPods right before they released one.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
Got any kind of source for this quote? :rolleyes:

I remember Jobs saying years ago that people didn't want video iPods right before they released one.

He never did say that. What I expect is that Apple will include multitasking in the next big update. When they do, I'll also expect them to have a better way of doing it than the existing phone competitors.

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
Just please give us a new screen with higher resolution.

Size is pretty comfortable in my opinion.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
He never did say that.

Jobs took some time to discuss video on personal devices, like the much-rumored Video iPod. While some companies are making moves in the video market, Jobs said that the market isn’t yet right for personal video devices.

“You can already download movies on the iTunes Music Store, and some albums offer video as an incentive to buy the music,” said Jobs. “We also offer video podcasts, but will people buy a video device just to watch this video? So far they haven’t. No one has been successful with that yet.”

http://www.macworld.com/article/47053/2005/09/jobsparis.html

Sept. 20th, 2005.

iPod with video introduced Oct. 12th.

I can't find the exact quote I'm remembering.

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2010
New York
YEP! Apple sure caters to it's customers!

"the iPhone doesn't need Flash, HTML5 is the way to go"- Steve Jobs :rolleyes:

HTML 5 is going to be a big flop, but Steve and his sheepish following doesn't seem to think so :rolleyes:

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008

HTML 5 is going to be a big flop, but Steve and his sheepish following doesn't seem to think so :rolleyes:
Quit trolling. If you want to, at least respond with some sort of intelligence.

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2010
New York
He never did say that. What I expect is that Apple will include multitasking in the next big update. When they do, I'll also expect them to have a better way of doing it than the existing phone competitors.

Don't hold your breath, iPhone has been taking baby steps instead of radically improving. The best Apple could come up with on the last iPhone was to tack on an "S" after 3G :rolleyes:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

CSS! Java! PHP! Uhh....internet!

(Hmm, if I just keep typing random tech words maybe someone will think I know what I'm talking about!)

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Have faith.

The development cycle for the past year it coming to an end in a few months. It starts when the next iPhone is released.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
The iPhone should definitely have a 3.7" screen with high resolution. That should be standard. .2" isn't much, but its a nice improvement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.