Dual CPU and HDMI output for every PowerPc for 50 €

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by G4fanboy, Nov 22, 2013.

1. G4fanboy, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013

G4fanboy macrumors regular

I am loving the Raspberry desing. There are 2 million sold in the world. I´ve been searching info about setting an net with a Mac and a Pi and I ´ve found ...

These instructions to make a VNC conection from the Pi board to the Mac using tightvncserver.

These instructions for file-sharing in AFP and these instructions for file sharing with OSX and use the raspberry as multimedia player with raspbmc .It has a installer for 10.5 but do not know if it is Universal.

Maybe someone can make a Pi setup to see the PowerPc thru the Pi using HDMI having both connected thru ethernet (maybe wireless too, but slower) modifiing the steps on here to install a vnc viewer instead of a vnc server and command the PowerPc thru the Pi board.

Or reproduce 1080p files from the PowerPc drive thru the HDMI of the Pi ...

Get the inspiration for you from the banned Zen´s article . Instead two sawtooth think of a Raspberry and your beloved PowerPc. A dual CPU setup with Raspbian in the Pi and your choice Os on the PowerPc seems the ultimate setup for ours machines. Using Raspbian´s genuine firefox alone seems more updated for browsing internet that on our machines TenFourFox ...

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Does it? Try running a full blown browser like any derivative of Chrome or FireFox on an rPi in person, you'll see how painfully slow it is. The CPU in the pi is equivalent to a CPU found in an Android device from >4 years ago. You'll notice its limitations particularly when transferring files, even to ext4 I only ever got a maximum of 24 megabits.

Don't get me wrong, I love the rPi. I have one running xbmc as our HTPC and it does a great job, you just need to understand the limitations of the hardware to know it's good for.

3. G4fanboy thread starter macrumors regular

Can you compare the performance to a PowerPc machine?

My point is the rPi been the cheapest of a batch

For sure compared to a windows 8 machine or windows 7 phone should be slow, but compared to a G3 or G4...YMMV

Look at the performance of a ODROID xu for 169$ but there are lots of choices for xbmc and linux-android machines that fit inside powermacs, emac, imacs, etc

Cubieboard is cheap also and beagleboard and Ouya

4. AdrianK macrumors 68020

For web browsing or video decoding?

Any G4 or G5 will crush the rPi for web browsing. It can take seconds for Midori (a lightweight browser) to respond to a click of the scroll wheel. You only need to look at the specs to see that.
    As for video decoding I've only tested ~4mbit h264 which it handles fine from USB storage.

If something isn't fit for purpose then the price is irrelevant. The rPi is not a good dedicated web browsing machine no matter what the cost. Feel free to find out for yourself.

I'm aware that there are more powerful boards, I haven't commented on them because I have no experience with them.

5. G4fanboy thread starter macrumors regular

Is the raspberry compatible with eMMC? Everybody talks about 2x to 4x the performance compared to SD.

Also, how you codec "~4mbit h264 which it handles fine from USB storage". I mean, with what app you made PI compatible videos?

As a summary :

rPi(AdrianK)= CPU BCM2835 (700 MHz ARM1176JZF-S). Good 4mbit/s H264 xmbc player, bad lightweight browser, cheap, kinda slow for today req.

Let´s see if any user of a GHz ARM cubie, Beagleboard, or dual Atom, quad ODROID-U2 or octa ODROID-XU Lite had another experience