Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
The latest Macworld review on the dual 800 G4 seems to make the point that the dual processor G4s are suited for graphics professionals which I seem to hear from a lot of Mac people.

I know Photoshop takes advantage of dual processors, but what about Adobe Illustrator?

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Hmmm...

I'm not sure if it does or not. It probably inherently does in some spots under OS X, because I'm sure some areas of the program are threaded.

Maybe some of the filtering features that are now available were threaded in a way to take advantage should multiple processors be in place?

All in all, it's just not as important as it is in Photoshop where everything is so freakin' processor intensive.

I would doubt that Adobe puts a lot of effort into taking advantage of dualies for Illustrator at this point, though threaded areas should inherently take advantaged under OS X. Might make the program feel a little more responsive in some areas.

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
9 & 10

Illustrator 9 doesn't appear to have a performance benefit from a dual processor machine - I don't think it's dual processor aware. Since it's not carbonised either, there would be no benefit in using it in the Classic mode of X, if anything it would be slower.

Illustrator 10 is carbonised, and I can't wait to get my hands on a copy. Hopefully it will make better use of a dual processor machine in X.

Illustrator has always been my favourite app, and I'll never tire of drawing bezzier curves!

[Edited by Foocha on 11-06-2001 at 04:03 AM]

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
Pleasure overload

Check out the Apple Web site - they are featuring Illustrator 10 on the home page. Not long now...

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
10 is out!!

I got my hands on a copy a week ago. As for the dual poccesor question.. verson 10 runs native in OS X... so it will take full advantage of the dual CPU's OS X also hadels Dynamic RAM allocation.... meaning no more dumping all your RAM on a app that you dont use that often. It does it on the fly so your app gets what you need at that moment and shars it when your not doing big tasks. The dual CPU's dont't do that much good with running in OS 9.. there are only a few apps that really take advantage of it... In OS X.. they all should.

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
I'm jeleous. I guess you're in the US, right?

These things always seem to arrive later in Europe - like with DVDs - I hate living in Region 2!!

I need a green card.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Originally posted by Foocha
I'm jeleous. I guess you're in the US, right?

These things always seem to arrive later in Europe - like with DVDs - I hate living in Region 2!!

I need a green card.

OH... i see... I think that illustrator 10 hit stor shelves like yesterday or today in the US... I had mine for a while. What kind of internet connetion speed do you have?

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
You clearly have your sources!

My connection is a 512k ADSL line.

I was kidding about the green card, by the way - London can be quite nice when it's sunny ;-)

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
You clearly have your sources!

My connection is a 512k ADSL line.

I was kidding about the green card, by the way - London can be quite nice when it's sunny ;-)

maybe I could help you out????

London... I have never been ... I would love to go there sometime

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
You're always welcome in London - drop me a line if you visit and we could go for a beer - provided you're ready for the flat, sweet, warm ale they serve around these parts!

I've checked out MacWarehouse UK, and they're expecting deliveries on Monday, so I think I can hold my breath a little longer ;-)

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
I like mine cold

You're always welcome in London - drop me a line if you visit and we could go for a beer - provided you're ready for the flat, sweet, warm ale they serve around these parts!

I've checked out MacWarehouse UK, and they're expecting deliveries on Monday, so I think I can hold my breath a little longer ;-)

I guess Im used to driking mine cold... But I would give it a try... :)

jefhatfield

Retired
Original poster
Jul 9, 2000
thanks for the input everyone!

i just checked out apple's site and saw the info on illustrator 10...it sounds like a really great product!

i just put illustrator 8 on my ibook with 160 MB of RAM on OS 9 and everything works great

it would be interesting to put in a 256 MB RAM chip and up the total RAM to 288 MB, then put in OS 10.1, and finally put in illustrator 10...but that would be many months from now because i am happy with how things are going (my old machine was a 185 MHz powermac with 64 MB of RAM and i thought that was "cool" when i got it 2 1/2 years ago used)

does that sound do-able with OS 10.1 on ibook and illustrator 10 or is the 288 MB of RAM too little? i know many graphics pros won't work with anything less than half a gig of RAM

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Re: thanks for the input everyone!

Originally posted by jefhatfield
i just checked out apple's site and saw the info on illustrator 10...it sounds like a really great product!

i just put illustrator 8 on my ibook with 160 MB of RAM on OS 9 and everything works great

it would be interesting to put in a 256 MB RAM chip and up the total RAM to 288 MB, then put in OS 10.1, and finally put in illustrator 10...but that would be many months from now because i am happy with how things are going (my old machine was a 185 MHz powermac with 64 MB of RAM and i thought that was "cool" when i got it 2 1/2 years ago used)

does that sound do-able with OS 10.1 on ibook and illustrator 10 or is the 288 MB of RAM too little? i know many graphics pros won't work with anything less than half a gig of RAM

It will run but I would get more RAM than that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.