Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Privacy oriented search engine DuckDuckGo today released an updated version of its browser extension for desktop Safari users running macOS Catalina.

safari-duckduckgo-privacy-extension.jpg

The launch comes after DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials had to be removed from the Safari extensions gallery following major changes introduced in Safari 12 that made the extension incompatible. From the DuckDuckGo website:
As you may be aware, major structural changes in Safari 12 meant that we had to remove DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials from the Safari extensions gallery. With Safari 13, new functionality was thankfully added that enabled us to put it back. Consequently, you'll need Safari 13+ on macOS 10.15 (Catalina) or newer to install the updated version.
DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials blocks hidden third-party trackers on websites and features a Privacy Dashboard, which generates a Privacy Grade rating (A-F) information card whenever a user visits a site. The rating aims to let them see at a glance how protected they are, while providing additional options to dig deeper into the details of blocked tracking attempts.

While the extension doesn't include private search, DuckDuckGo Search is built into Safari as a default search option, and they work together to help users search and browse privately.

DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials is only available for desktop browsers, however DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser is available for iOS and uses the same privacy protection technology.

Article Link: DuckDuckGo's Safari Privacy Browser Extension Now Available for macOS Catalina

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Does the Safari browser extension and/or iOS app block ads, too?

I installed and did a test at cnn.com and it only blocks trackers and not ads.

DuckDuckGo is still quite a bit behind google when it comes to search results. I still use it as my primary engine, but sometimes have to switch to google...

Same here, but I uses StartPage for when I need Google results. You get Google results without going to the Google web page and being tracked.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
Not at all... any extension that has an end user accessible GUI like this needs access to your data like that to work. You can uncheck the dashboard part of the extension and the extension will still work, but you just won't see the widget up top showing what was blocked.
I see, I don't have any extensions so it was a bit of a shock. I see Adblock also says the same thing, how is it not dodgy them having access to passwords and CC details?

Reactions: macfacts

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I see, I don't have any extensions so it was a bit of a shock. I see Adblock also says the same thing, how is it not dodgy them having access to passwords and CC details?
It is just not possible to have that GUI without the extension seeing that data. If you don't want them to have the data, just disable the GUI. For example the adblocker Wipr does not have that warning because they have no GUI to see what is blocked. 1Blocker on the other hand does have a GUI, so they do have the warning.

I guess you have to decide if you trust the company to see your data or not, but it is not something they are doing for no reason.

luvbug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Getting closer every day!
I've been using the Brave browser with great success. No ads, no tracking, stats if you want them, and very fast. I am using DuckDuckGo as my search engine, which also allows you to '!s' a search to use Start Page.

Marketing folks don't seem to get the concept that some people, by choice, are *never* going to respond to an ad, where they see it or not.

Reactions: nvmls and Bitácora

Pangalactic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2016
If DDG is to be believed, they are not collecting this data at all, they are just notifying you the extension can see that data. So in theory, DDG has nothing of yours to be hacked.

That is a very big "If". There has never been a public audit of DDG, so in fact we have no idea how much data they are really collecting.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
That is a very big "If". There has never been a public audit of DDG, so in fact we have no idea how much data they are really collecting.
I think the same could be said about any company. Bottom line is there is an element of trust here, and if you don't trust them, disable the feature or don't use their software or services.

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
Same here, but I uses StartPage for when I need Google results. You get Google results without going to the Google web page and being tracked.

From our experience you don't get Google results, although they may look like a closer version than duckduckgo's, but so far it seems no privacy focused search engine is able to match Google results quality-wise (sadly).

Pangalactic

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2016
I think the same could be said about any company. Bottom line is there is an element of trust here, and if you don't trust them, disable the feature or don't use their software or services.

Not quite, if it’s an open source software that underwent a public audit (like Truecrypt used to be) then there is no reason not to trust them.

as for the private companies - all of them are a risk factor. Some (like Apple) probably take fewer liberties with privacy than others, but overall it’s just hoping that thy won’t screw you over if they decide to.

Spendlove

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Cambridge UK
Someone here pointed me to Startpage a few months ago and I loved it. I was VERY annoyed when Apple removed the search bar function from the new Safari. I also lost Ublock Origin. Not a happy bunny.

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
Is anyone able to download Version 1.0.1 from the AppStore . When I try it goes into the loop and back to the update button .

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Reactions: Spendlove

notrack

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
DuckDuckGo is still quite a bit behind google when it comes to search results. I still use it as my primary engine, but sometimes have to switch to google...
From our experience you don't get Google results, although they may look like a closer version than duckduckgo's, but so far it seems no privacy focused search engine is able to match Google results quality-wise (sadly).

Never missed Google results after I switched to DDG. After a while I stopped comparing bc Google wouldn't find anything better than DDG. I have the impression that google shows more commercial stuff for shopping.

Classie

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2018
Sweden
Never missed Google results after I switched to DDG. After a while I stopped comparing bc Google wouldn't find anything better than DDG. I have the impression that google shows more commercial stuff for shopping.
The most obvious difference is when your search for images. DDG sometimes shows ridiculous few images, while Google seems to have an endless scroll, with good match.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.