Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sven945

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
I've got myself an iBook G4 and I've got it hooked up to my 5.1 speakers through a Hercules USB surround sound card. I can get VLC to play DVDs in full 5.1 surround, but the DVD Player software shipped with OSX only supports stereo output.

I've tried searching for other DVD software that supports 5.1 output (VLC is ok, but there are little things about its DVD playing that annoys me) with no joy. Has anybody got any recomendations? Or is there an update for DVD Player that I've been unable to find?

jack

sven945

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
There certainly isn't 5.1 output from DVD Player on my iBook! The normal output from the iBook is only stereo, so presumably they haven't included 5.1 support in the DVD Player supplied with an iBook. I've tried looking in all the options and there is nothing. No mention in the help (not even saying that it doesn't support surround).

jack

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
Try this go to system prefs>Sound>Output>(Whatever your USB card is)

Then:
Go to Utilities>Audio MIDI Setup>Audio Output>Change the Source to your card>Then change from 2ch 16bit to I'm guessing 5 or 6 channel

Then I think you can go from there.

sven945

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
G5Unit said:
Try this go to system prefs>Sound>Output>(Whatever your USB card is)

Then:
Go to Utilities>Audio MIDI Setup>Audio Output>Change the Source to your card>Then change from 2ch 16bit to I'm guessing 5 or 6 channel

Then I think you can go from there.

I've got that all selected, but there is still only stereo output from DVD Player. VLC works with correct 5.1 output with all that selected though. I also appear to have the latest version of DVD Player (4.6.5).

jack

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.