Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Well I’ve already got the Windows workstation + eGPU working just fine. I was just concerned that the XDR would be tricky as it doesn’t behave like a normal monitor.
Do you have the Boot Camp drivers installed so you can use the presets and brightness control using the Boot Camp control panel in Windows? It can be manually installed on a PC.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 68040
Jul 20, 2011
Do you have the Boot Camp drivers installed so you can use the presets and brightness control using the Boot Camp control panel in Windows? It can be manually installed on a PC.

I didn’t think of that, so I appreciate the tip.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 68040
Jul 20, 2011
Unfortunately it seems like it.

I read on egpu.io about a guy who got it to work with a rx5700xt together with a Belkin cable for HUAWEI VR Glass (DisplayPort plus two USB-A inputs and a USB-C output). IT's 1.2 rated, but apparently supported 1.4 as well (in 6k@60Hz). I think he was running an old 5.1 Mac Pro (cheese grater). I ordered the cable today, as will try with the eGPU setup. Until then I'll run the ProDisplay XDR from the MacBook Pro's built in Radeon Pro 5500m, but the fans spin up after tree minutes and it's slooooowww.

Did you get your cable yet?

I have the Belkin Huawei VR cable with the Pro Display XDR, works great with DSC at 6k, and the USB connectors do indeed enable brightness control and such with the Pro Display XDR. I tested this with both a 2013 Mac Pro + Radeon 5700XT eGPU, and with a 2019 Mac Pro + W5700. I have to use this because I'm using a StarTech KVM switch in the middle, so that I can share the display with my work computer.

For that Belkin Huawei VR cable, would the USB-A connectors plug into my eGPU (Razer Core X Chroma) or my Windows machine? My goal is to have have XDR support from the eGPU (w/5700 XT Anniversary Edition), which is fed from my MacBook Pro and a Lenovo ThinkStation w/TB3. This ”manual” KVM situation works well right now unplugging/plugging the TB3 connector from Mac to Lenovo, with the eGPU feeding my LG 4K monitor via DisplayPort. But obviously I’d prefer an XDR - but only if I can get it to work with the Lenovo as well.

I can’t find any other XDR users that are switching between dedicated Windows machines and a Mac. Considering I already have the 5700 XT and Razer Core X Chroma, I think I’m kinda close??

Ted Persson

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2020
The Belkin Charge and Sync Cable for Huawei VR Glass arrived today. Works perfect with the Pro Display in 6k@60Hz using a Razer Core X with an AMD rx5700xt including the brightness controls. I've hooked up the USBs on the cable to the eGPU, so my MBP 16" only has one TB3 cable connected (to the eGPU). The display now also identifies correctly, with all profiles displaying. I also got that Wacom adapter someone recommended, but haven't tried it.
[automerge]1592332026[/automerge]
Will get back with results after trying on my other computers. I also have a 13", an old trashcan Mac Pro (using TB2 adapter) and a Razer Blade Stealth running Windows.

Reactions: Executor

BeatCrazy

macrumors 68040
Jul 20, 2011
The Belkin Charge and Sync Cable for Huawei VR Glass arrived today. Works perfect with the Pro Display in 6k@60Hz using a Razer Core X with an AMD rx5700xt including the brightness controls. I've hooked up the USBs on the cable to the eGPU, so my MBP 16" only has one TB3 cable connected (to the eGPU). The display now also identifies correctly, with all profiles displaying. I also got that Wacom adapter someone recommended, but haven't tried it.
Will get back with results after trying on my other computers. I also have a 13", an old trashcan Mac Pro (using TB2 adapter) and a Razer Blade Stealth running Windows.

Awesome! Really eager to see if you get that Razer Blade Stealth working as well.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store

I would be really interested to see how it would work for the 13 inch.

Ted Persson

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2020
I would be really interested to see how it would work for the 13 inch.

13" MBP works flawlessly, don't remember the exact spec, but it's an i7 from last year or the year before. It's really snappy too, faster impression than my maxed out MBP16" when connected straight into the onboard GPU.

Will try to Razer Blade Stealth later today.

Reactions: BeatCrazy

betovel

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2015
Hey guys, thinking of buying the new XDR and using it with my Mac Pro 5.1, is this doable in 6K 60Hz? What would be the cheapest GPU I could use if so? Any advice? Thank you mates!

Reactions: Executor

Executor

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
NYC
Hey guys, thinking of buying the new XDR and using it with my Mac Pro 5.1, is this doable in 6K 60Hz? What would be the cheapest GPU I could use if so? Any advice? Thank you mates!

I was able to use the Apple XDR with my Mac Pro 5,1 by using an AMD 5700 XT card and the Belkin Charge and Sync Cable for Huawei VR Glass. With that setup I was able to get 6K HDR using MacOS Catalina and open core. As fellow MacRumors user @joevt pointed out, you will need a 5700XT to drive the monitor at the full resolution since those are the only cards that support DSC. Thanks to Joevt's help I can now keep my system for a while longer until the next generation Apple Silicon Macs are available.

Last edited:

Xeonsenior

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2020
I got my Razer Core X + Radeon Pro W5700 work with dual Pro Display XDR.

Both of the displays work with 6K HDR 10bit and all control features.

- W5700 has one USB Type-C output, and connect it to the display directly through the thunderbolt 3 cable with the display.
- The other display is connected through Belkin - Huawei VR cable.

They work fine with my MacBook Pro 16-inch on macOS, but are not fine on Windows. Connecting to my MacBook Pro 13-inch four thunderbolt 3 2018, they work fine on both systems.

Duo_Pro_Display.002.jpeg

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
They work fine with my MacBook Pro 16-inch on macOS, but are not fine on Windows. Connecting to my MacBook Pro 13-inch four thunderbolt 3 2018, they work fine on both systems.
MacBook Pro 16 inch has Intel iGPU and AMD dGPU while MacBook Pro 13 inch has Intel iGPU. Maybe the MacBook Pro 16 inch doesn't work in Windows with eGPU because of the extra complication.

Did you check eGPU.io for other builds that include the MacBook Pro 16 inch?
Search for MacBook Pro 16-inch win10
Try the builds from itsage first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.