Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I just checked out Epson's web site.

They now have two models that will run under OS X and are networked versions of their printers. The C80N and C80WN both have OSX drivers for their networking aspects, which would allow people to use the printer from either OS 9.x or 10.1.x. I have a C80, and checked the spec's of the C80N and found that it is packaged with the EXACT SAME external print server that is listed for the C80. With that being the case, I am ordering up the external print server and will download the drivers when it arrives.

This should allow people to use the one printer for both OS 9.x, 10.1.x and with peecee's all on the same network.

Upon it's arrival, and setup, I will post how well it does, and how easy/difficult it is to set up and access.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I have ordered up the part, and it is slated to arrive on Tuesday of next week. I spoke with an Epson tech and from what I was able to pull from the conversation, it should be fairly easy to setup and use. I already have some spare cat 5 lines at home, which is about all I will really need. Now all I need to do is clean up the wire rat's nest on my surge protector and UPS to allow for yet another connection.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Let us know how you go with it - how easy it is, how it works and what it costs...

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
The unit costs $161.10 from Epson. Believe it or not, they had the best price on the item. I am getting it shipped to me overnight. I missed the cut off today for shipping, so it is leaving them on Monday, and arriving to me on Tuesday. Total with shipping, no tax, comes to $179.10.

I will post about the difficulty level as well as where to get the drivers from (both 9 and X).

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
success, and easy at that

Ok everyone... I just plugged the external print server from Epson onto my C80 printer, connected the wires and such and powered it up. I then fired up my TiBook (running OS X 10.1.3) and you know what??? I didn't have to install squat!!! All I needed to do was to select it from the list under the print center that showed up when I went for 'Epson Appletalk'. This is going through my airport base station as well as a network switch. It appears that Epson has provided the drivers needed to use this device (at least with the C80). The external print server is the C823781, the same one they list under the C80N (otherwise the C80 and C80N are identical items).

I now no longer need to run that damned USB cable across the floor from where the printer sits to where I normally sit with the laptop. I will be setting up to use it under OS 9 as well as from the peecee at a later date. I DO know that the drivers are available for both of those platforms/OS's. The major item was for OS X.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I don't see why it wouldn't work... The main issue would be talking with the external print server.. Contact Epson (number is on their web site) and see if the C60 will work with the external print server. If it does, then see if they can get one of their techs to confirm that it will work...

I picked up the C80, since I don't go cheap on much of anything. That is why I buy Mac systems :D... I like getting a lot of good use out of them.

markeleven

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2002
NJ
I have a C 80 WN which I just installed about 2 weeks ago. The set up was a little sticky for some reason, with the Epson supplied software, but I have it working perfectly in my house with an i mac, i Book on 9 and and iBook on 10.1.3 Imac hits it through the router, airport base and the i books go through the the airport as well. Ta da . Prints beautifully. I definitely recommend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.