Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jun 16, 2004
The European commission is starting an investigation into the pricing of Apple Computer's digital music service after consumers complained that downloading tracks was more expensive in the UK than other parts of Europe.
Officials are investigating whether price differentials on iTunes between the UK and other countries such as France and Germany of up to 20% are unjust and amount to a breach of EU pricing regulations.

Link

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
This is an interesting case. As I see it there are two conflicting pieces of legislation.
One says that things for sale in the EU must be available without restriction to people from any EU member country. The other is the collection of different music licensing arrangements in different countires.

I predict that the EU price law will take precedence and that people in any EU country will eventually be able to purchase music from any EU based iTMS. I hope this means, for example, that people like me in the UK will be able to purchase music from the French store at a considerable discount.

This has already happened in other industries. For example (if I could be bothered with the extra effort) I could now buy a UK spec (right hand drive) car from a French dealer for less than I can buy it in the UK. The law doesn't actually specify that the UK prices have to come down, merely that I am allowed to shop abroad if I like. This has had the effect of reducing prices slightly in the UK car market through increased competition.

Fingers crossed for 65p songs soon :D

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
Forgot to say - can you imagine if French record shops (e.g. their HMV equivalent on the high street) stopped British people buying CDs because they lived in the UK and only had a UK bank account? That would never be allowed!!!

edit- I'm not picking on the French, just using them as an example as our nearest neighbour...

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
Are these the same geniuses that forced Microsoft to remove Media Player from Windows? What will Apple have to remove from the iTMS?

The Europeans are so lucky to have these guys looking out for them.

geese

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
broken_keyboard said:
What will Apple have to remove from the iTMS?

What are you talking about? Does anyone know what this sentance means? :confused: Its an EU investigation in iTunes pricing in the UK.

As the above posts said, it may mean that Apple will be forced to allow EU citizens to buy tracks from other countries iTunes stores. Or force the UK iTunes price lower to the EU price. Thats all.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Ive stopped using itms because it is rather expensive, I have started using allofmp3.com its fantastic.

I tend to get my cd's from fnac when im on the continent as new EU laws allow me to take any ammount anywhere in the EU as long as it's for my personal usage.

It is daft how they dont allow us to purchase songs from the German / French stores when for almost any other store i can order across the EU.

I really do hope the EU sort of this out because 79p / £7.99 for a album is looking mightily expensive considering the exchange rate is 1.91 $ -> £ at the moment which at $0.99 would mean we can buy for 51p

Applespider

macrumors G4
garybUK said:
Ive stopped using itms because it is rather expensive, I have started using allofmp3.com its fantastic.

It's illegal. The Russian police have just recommended that its operators be charged with criminal copyright infringement.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/111971/

Edit: Not to mention that I'd be very uncomfortable with my credit card details sitting on a Russian server, given the level of electronic fraud emanating from Eastern Europe/Russia

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
broken_keyboard said:
Are these the same geniuses that forced Microsoft to remove Media Player from Windows? What will Apple have to remove from the iTMS?

The Europeans are so lucky to have these guys looking out for them.
Let's put this into a US perspective. Would it be OK for Apple to charge people in (for example) Texas $1.20 for a track but everyone else in the US £0.99 and forbid people from Texas from buying the tracks from the rest-of-the-USA store? That is in effect what Apple does in the UK. That Apple has a cross-border store within Europe that residents of several countries can use, tends to show it could (if it wanted to) allow us to buy from the other stores. Apple can charge what it wants in each store. It's allowed to do that. It's not allowed to stop you buying in another EU country.

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
caveman_uk said:
Let's put this into a US perspective. Would it be OK for Apple to charge people in (for example) Texas $1.20 for a track but everyone else in the US £0.99 and forbid people from Texas from buying the tracks from the rest-of-the-USA store?

Yes, it would be fine because it is their store. They own it. But apparently that word has no meaning in the UK any more, even though it was invented there.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
broken_keyboard said:
Yes, it would be fine because it is their store. They own it. But apparently that word has no meaning in the UK any more, even though it was invented there.
No it wouldn't. This isn't a school playground. Businesses have rules they need to abide by, they can't pick and choose what they do just because it's "theirs" :rolleyes:

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
broken_keyboard said:

Unfortunately for some, owning a store does not mean you can ignore the law when running it. Imagine if a store owner stopped allowing Jews, or black people, or Americans from using their store, and justified it by saying its their store and they can do what they like in it. No-one would think that was right.

Its the same principle here, you have to abide by the law, and the law says you can't stop citizens of an EU country from freely buying goods from another EU country.

Although I should say that I do not claim in any way to understand the complexities of EU law, and there may well be a reason why this is allowed in this case..

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
broken_keyboard said:
Clearly Apple can do no wrong in your eyes. Ownership doesn't mean you can do anything you want. Just 'cos you own a car doesn't mean you can run people over in it.

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
dobbin said:
Unfortunately for some, owning a store does not mean you can ignore the law when running it. Imagine if a store owner stopped allowing Jews, or black people, or Americans from using their store, and justified it by saying its their store and they can do what they like in it. No-one would think that was right.

They can do that if they want, and decent people will think they are racists and not shop there. Owning is owning.

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
caveman_uk said:
Clearly Apple can do no wrong in your eyes. Ownership doesn't mean you can do anything you want. Just 'cos you own a car doesn't mean you can run people over in it.

That's not the same my good man. No one should be allowed to hurt anyone else. But these EU commisioners are acting like it is a privledge for Apple to be able to do business in their jurisdiction. But in reality it is a privledge for us normal people to enjoy the products that geniuses like Steve Jobs make for us.

Just think about it: the iTMS wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for Apple, and then EU Commisioners have the absolute gaul to start telling them how to run it. Shameful.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
broken_keyboard said:
That's not the same my good man. No one should be allowed to hurt anyone else. But these EU commisioners are acting like it is a privledge for Apple to be able to do business in their jurisdiction. But in reality it is a privledge for us normal people to enjoy the products that geniuses like Steve Jobs make for us.

Just think about it: the iTMS wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for Apple, and then EU Commisioners have the absolute gaul to start telling them how to run it. Shameful.
By this twisted logic I suppose you think Microsoft should also just be left to do exactly as they please? And for that matter any major corporation?

Boy, would that be a great world (not that we're not half way there already of course :rolleyes: )

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
edesignuk said:
:confused: What are you talking about???

Because I said people from the UK don't understand what property means any more, and then low and behold a UK guy comes along and proves it by saying Apple can't choose what they do with thier own stuff.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
broken_keyboard said:
Because I said people from the UK don't understand what property means any more, and then low and behold a UK guy comes along and proves it by saying Apple can't choose what they do with thier own stuff.
I'm honestly having trouble believing what I am reading from you.

British, American, French, German, Spanish. It makes no difference, big busniess cannot be left to do as they please simply because they produce the products. You and I have to abide by laws, and so do they.

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
edesignuk said:
By this twisted logic I suppose you think Microsoft should also just be left to do exactly as they please? And for that matter any major corporation?

Yes, as long as they don't physically hurt anyone of course. Apple creates a cool product like iTMS, and then a bunch of stuffy old politicians think they can tell them what to do with it. Seems like bullying to me.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
broken_keyboard said:
Yes, as long as they don't physically hurt anyone of course. Apple creates a cool product like iTMS, and then a bunch of stuffy old politicians think they can tell them what to do with it. Seems like bullying to me.
It's clearly not worth my breath carrying on, so I'm stopping with this here :rolleyes:. I for one am glad on occasions like this that their is a powerful body able to stand up against big business for consumer rights.

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
edesignuk said:
I'm honestly having trouble believing what I am reading from you.

British, American, French, German, Spanish. It makes no difference, big busniess cannot be left to do as they please simply because they produce the products. You and I have to abide by laws, and so do they.

Yes, of course. But laws that say "don't steal old ladies' handbags" and "don't hurt other people." Not laws that say "you must sell this song to whom we say for what price we say. Sig heil."

By what right to one bunch of people say that to another? Because they were elected? So they got the most votes. In other words if you have the biggest gang you can push around whomever you like. Doesn't seem right to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.