Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular accessory company Anker launched its own low-cost smart speaker with built-in Alexa on Wednesday called the Eufy Genie. Costing $35, the Genie is a little bigger than Amazon's Echo Dot, which retails at $50, but claims to offer stronger bass and double the volume of Amazon's equivalent device thanks to a 2W speaker.

The Genie's list of features pretty much tallies with Echo Dot's abilities, so it can play music, control other smart home devices, order products, answer questions, set calendars, report the weather and news, and more.

Screen_Shot_2017_08_09_at_8.54.12_AM.0.png-800x533.jpeg

According to Anker, it's also possible to use the Amazon Alexa app with the Genie to access over 10,000 skills and services, such as Pandora, Domino's Pizza, Uber, ESPN, NPR News, and more. Future updates from Eufy are said to include the ability directly control Spotify with your voice, and Alexa messaging and calling.

The Genie also links up to other smart products under Anker's Eufy brand, which include a robotic vacuum cleaner, air purifier devices, and a range of domestic lighting. According to The Verge, Anker also plans to introduce a $40 version of the Eufy Genie that includes Bluetooth support, which might let it connect to external speakers for playing music.

The Eufy Genie is available to pre-order off Amazon today but doesn't ship until August 16. Eufy plans to launch the speaker in Europe around mid-October. Further details on the Genie and Anker's other products under the Eufy brand can be found on the Eufy website.

Note: Amazon is an affiliate of MacRumors and we may benefit from clicked links in this article.

Article Link: Anker's $35 Smart Speaker With Built-in Alexa Claims Better Audio Than Amazon's Echo Dot

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Interesting to see Anker contribute in the smart speaker market. Granted it's only really competing with the Dot, Having stronger audio is an advantage when using these devices across the room or simply for other media. For $35.00, this is a decent starting price and Anker makes quality products.
[doublepost=1502363580][/doublepost]
Dear god that thing is ugly! Looks like a fat robot vacuum cleaner!

I will be honest with you, the majority of smart speakers on the market are not aesthetically pleasing. They all have this awkward, Somewhat unrefined look. As long as the results deliver, that's all I can ask for. But my sights are set on the HomePod.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kangastu

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
So this seems sort of odd to me. Amazon is allowing other manufacturers to use Alexa in their devices AND Amazon is helping them sell them through Amazon.com in direct competition with Amazon-branded products? If Siri was included in some Chinese speaker/music product, what do you think the chance is that device would sit next to the Apple HomePod in the Apple Store? (hint...none).

Reactions: nicroma

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
So this seems sort of odd to me. Amazon is allowing other manufacturers to use Alexa in their devices AND Amazon is helping them sell them through Amazon.com in direct competition with Amazon-branded products? If Siri was included in some Chinese speaker/music product, what do you think the chance is that device would sit next to the Apple HomePod in the Apple Store? (hint...none).
Amazon wants people using their services. That's where the long term repeatable money is. Amazon doesn't care about a speaker. It's simply a means to an end.

Reactions: Foggydog and err404

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5

Not every company functions like Apple. Some companies prefer to go for market share/exposure (a long play) instead of squeezing every possible nickel out of buyers of their creations (a short play).

Once upon a time there was a company that first brought a mouse-driven windowed OS to the masses. That OS is now known as macOS. Years after the early incarnation of macOS was released a rival competitor finally released their crack at a mouse-driven windowed OS, then and now known as Windows. The former kept their OS to themselves, allowing it to run only on their own hardware priced at a premium. The latter made it as easy as possible for every other computer maker to roll out their hardware with Windows. Time passes. Even today, what percentage of the world's computers run Windows vs. what percentage runs macOS? And as such, all kinds of software is still exclusive to Windows because it is the most popular computer OS in the world.

Note the question just posted is not about which OS is better or even Apple as an entity vs. Microsoft as an entity. Instead, it's just an early example of how one company goes for maximum profits from each customer (or quality of each sale) while another goes for maximum share (or quantity of sales).

Example #2: A touch-based OS. Once again Apple most effectively packaged up a touch OS and brought it to the masses. And once again, they kept it exclusively for their own hardware, priced at a premium. Shortly thereafter Android is released. And once again, iOS plays for quality of each sale while Android goes for market share. For a while iOS was both "most profitable" and share dominant. But now it's just the former... and it continues to lose share to Android. Android expands to more and more things while iOS is locked to only Apple things.

Again, that's no argument that Android is better than iOS or Google/Samsung/Et all are better than Apple... just pointing out another very tangible example of one company going for maximum profit-per-sale while another aims for volume sales to dominate a market(s). Android is finding its way into all kinds of off-shoot products (like even TV interfaces) while iOS remains locked to a small portfolio of products made only by Apple. In the long play, all tech suitable for a mobile OS at it's core probably runs on Android. Eventually, iOS share vs. Android probably looks like macOS share vs. Windows.

Example #3: Alexa vs. Siri. Once again, Siri preceded Alexa by many years. And once again, Siri has pretty much been locked to only Apple offerings. Alexa is late to the game but- like Windows and Android- Alexa seems to be readily available to be installed in just about anything & everything looking for a Siri-like voice assistant. My household is pretty heavily an Apple-dominated household. But Alexa snuck in by being chosen by DISH network as THE voice assistant for DISH hardware. I didn't even buy anything. There was a DISH software update and Alexa arrived.

Furthermore, a desirable STB app called DISH Anywhere is still not available for :apple:TV at $1XX but is available for Amazon Fire TV stick at $3X, so now there's a Fire TV stick plugged into a spare television, mostly to run that single app (basically bringing the benefits of the main TV's DISH DVR and programming to the other TV without the lease of a separate box). And that has Alexa being THE voice assistant for that TV too.

Apple basically does the same thing over and over. They seem to invent or bring something into the mainstream in a well-conceived way but then hold it tightly, locked down to only Apple hardware. At first they own or dominate the market for that new innovation, and own a good head start until someone else rolls out a viable clone or clone+. Then, the latter goes for market share and basically eats away at Apple's dominance. Apple still gets to claim "most profitable" (which, curiously enough, seems to bring great joy to some of us consumers who's pockets are being emptied to give them all that profitability) but ultimately loses the breadth & depth race. In the long play, like Windows & Android, what seems most likely: Alexa or Siri ruling voice-controlled interfaces in all the places where such interfaces make sense? More simply, if you are betting on a name of a voice assistant most likely to become THE ubiquitous voice assistant, name that assistant.

Apple people may recoil with shock and scream Siri, but let history be your guide. The only way Siri becomes ubiquitous is likely to be the faux way... a household and members of that household only use Apple products so it seems like Siri is the dominant voice assistant in their bubble. But step outside that bubble and try to find Siri in anything else. And don't be surprised if Alexa sneaks in as the voice of other tech in homes- just like it did in my home. Same basic sequence of events over and over again.

So you are right: I doubt there would ever be a Siri-driven speaker made by someone like Anker for sale in an Apple store. But it's no surprise Amazon would have 10 Alexa-driven clones for sale in the Amazon store. Amazon is playing for voice assistant dominance/ubiquity. Apple is playing for maximum profit-per-product sold in the now. Buy this voice controlled speaker for $39 or buy HomePod for nearly 10X higher price? Apple fans will readily pay anything and rationalize anything with an Apple logo on it. But step outside of our bubble: will the Windows and/or Android-using masses justify a 10X higher price so easily?

Last edited:
Reactions: Foggydog

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Amazon is a services and software company first and foremost (online retail aside).

They literally don't give a damn how you access their products.

They will embrace competition using their software, because they hope that others can fill the gaps in their targeted demographics/preferences.

Glassed Silver:ios

Reactions: 69Mustang

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
<snipped for brevity and clarity>
So you are right: I doubt there would ever be a Siri-driven speaker made by someone like Anker for sale in an Apple store. But it's no surprise Amazon would have 10 Alexa-driven clones for sale in the Amazon store. Amazon is playing for voice assistant dominance/ubiquity. Apple is playing for maximum profit-per-product sold in the now. Buy this voice controlled speaker for $39 or buy HomePod for nearly 10X higher price?
Hmmm, looks like someone needed to get something off his chest this morning.:D

Reactions: sinsin07

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Better audio than the Echo Dot will be easy given the Echo Dot has no speakers.

The Echo Dot does have built-in speakers; they're just not very good and really only intended for timers/alarms and voice responses (e.g., weather). It can play music, but I don't think Amazon ever really advertised it for such since the idea, of course, is that if you buy this you'll hook it up to your "good" speakers--but it does have speakers built-in.

But yes, having "better" speakers than the Dot, whose speakers were not intended to be good, is indeed a rather small feat. :)

Reactions: Huck

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I will be honest with you, the majority of smart speakers on the market are not aesthetically pleasing. They all have this awkward, Somewhat unrefined look. As long as the results deliver, that's all I can ask for. But my sights are set on the HomePod.

My only potential problem with HomePod is Siri. Siri is the dumbest assistant of the major assistants out there. That's really a shame considering Siri has been around the longest of all of them.

Reactions: Foggydog and Huck

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
We are an Apple house, and I won't lie - we love our Echo (and my oldest has a Dot). I pay for Prime anyway - so it is easy to give the kids Prime Music. The echo plays a bunch of other services too - it has saved me a ton of money in buying songs!

I will probably buy this for my work area. Hands free music or audiobooks. I didn't mind the Dot sound quality when I was working, so this should be fine. I could use the timers too - I shouldn't wear my watch around my heat press, it is an accident waiting to happen! LOL

Now, Alexa - she is for sure NOT Siri. We tell her that often... but for what she does she isn't bad. I'd LOVE the Apple one - but that is so NOT in my budget this year. Not at all.
[doublepost=1502373922][/doublepost]
My only potential problem with HomePod is Siri. Siri is the dumbest assistant of the major assistants out there. That's really a shame considering Siri has been around the longest of all of them.
Seriously? Because Alexa.... well.... she isn't so great when you are used to Siri's natural language stuff. I screw up the Alexa "skills" all the time!

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Seriously? Because Alexa.... well.... she isn't so great when you are used to Siri's natural language stuff. I screw up the Alexa "skills" all the time!
I also find Alexa to be very limiting. But the problem with Siri is that it only supports Apple Music, which I find to be far behind Spotify or Google Play w/ YouTube Red.
In fact, the only compelling thing Apple Music offers is its lock-in with Siri.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Amazon is a services and software company first and foremost (online retail aside).

They literally don't give a damn how you access their products.

They will embrace competition using their software, because they hope that others can fill the gaps in their targeted demographics/preferences.

Glassed Silver:ios

Like Apple isn't a services and software company first (iPhone retail aside)? Both of those "asides" are both companies first and foremost. And Apple, like Amazon, also gets large portions of it's profit from services.

Foggydog

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2014
Left Coast
Interesting to see Anker contribute in the smart speaker market. Granted it's only really competing with the Dot, Having stronger audio is an advantage when using these devices across the room or simply for other media. For $35.00, this is a decent starting price and Anker makes quality products.

That homepod will sound sweet I'm sure. But I'm really interested in Alexa/Sonos that's is supposed to be released around Christmas.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Yes, I agree Siri can be a downfall at times. But I think Apple is diligently progressing to making Siri a better experience and ready for the HomePod by December. The main Functionality of the HomePod is derived from Siri, which I think is crucial for a positive experience. But I'm prepared to believe the HomePod and new Siri will mesh together nicely if all goes accordingly.

Last edited:

architect1337

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016

Don't know about you - but I've got my Echo Dot hooked up via Bluetooth to my Marshall Stanmore Amp / Speaker. Homepod? No thanks.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Don't know about you - but I've got my Echo Dot hooked up via Bluetooth to my Marshall Stanmore Amp / Speaker. Homepod? No thanks.

External connections to speakers shouldn't be necessary if the quality of the audio of the HomePod is of high quality. Otherwise, external speakers would defeat the purpose of owning the HomePod for the audio experience Apple is claiming will deliver. But i your situation, the Dot would make sense to have external speakers.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Yes, I agree Siri can be a downfall at times. But I think Apple is diligently processing to making Siri a better experience and ready for the HomePod by December. The main Functionality of the HomePod is derived from Siri, which I think is crucial for a positive experience. But I'm prepared to believe the HomePod and new Siri will mesh together nicely if all goes accordingly.

Every year, I keep hoping Siri improves in practical ways that matter to me; and every year for the past two or three years, I've been disappointed. Maybe this will finally be the year.

I have Hue lights in my home. While it's nice to be able to control the lights with Siri, Siri is also the biggest pain point in the system. When I say "Turn on Family Room lights" to my iPhone 7, half the time, Siri thinks I said, "Turn on Front Room lights". There's no excuse for that. "Family" and "Front" don't sound anything alike -- even if the person giving the command had a heavy accent (which I don't).

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Every year, I keep hoping Siri improves in practical ways that matter to me; and every year for the past two or three years, I've been disappointed. Maybe this will finally be the year.

I have Hue lights in my home. While it's nice to be able to control the lights with Siri, Siri is also the biggest pain point in the system. When I say "Turn on Family Room lights" to my iPhone 7, half the time, Siri thinks I said, "Turn on Front Room lights". There's no excuse for that. "Family" and "Front" don't sound anything alike -- even if the person giving the command had a heavy accent (which I don't).

If Siri improves with iOS 11 with the new advancements and offers promising results, I think this will be a solid start moving forward with the HomePod. I also hope the HomePods microphone has decent range for larger rooms with sensitivity for hearing commands, which is equally important with the HomePod experience.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
Yes, I agree Siri can be a downfall at times. But I think Apple is diligently processing to making Siri a better experience and ready for the HomePod by December. The main Functionality of the HomePod is derived from Siri, which I think is crucial for a positive experience. But I'm prepared to believe the HomePod and new Siri will mesh together nicely if all goes accordingly.
People love to rag on Siri because it's an easy target. In no way is it terrible, but a lot of people think it should be much better due to it's time on the market and Apple's software prowess. At least it's not as bad as Bixby.:eek: Each assistant has it's strengths and weaknesses. MKBHD recently did a voice assistant challenge. Of note: you can tell where he was trying to "help" certain assistants in some queries - especially his speech pace with Bixby. To be fair, it's new on block.

shakerstevens

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2010
Better audio than the Echo Dot will be easy given the Echo Dot has no speakers.
Yes it does. Admittedly its not much better than the speaker on my iPhone but its enough to use as back ground music in the bedroom or kitchen.
In my living room I pair it up to my hi-fi system and speakers instead.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
People love to rag on Siri because it's an easy target. In no way is it terrible, but a lot of people think it should be much better due to it's time on the market and Apple's software prowess. At least it's not as bad as Bixby.:eek: Each assistant has it's strengths and weaknesses. MKBHD recently did a voice assistant challenge. Of note: you can tell where he was trying to "help" certain assistants in some queries - especially his speech pace with Bixby. To be fair, it's new on block.

My experiences with Siri has actually been mostly positive. Dictation and deciphering are the two main considerations with Siri and its accuracy. Siri is server-based and sometimes the responses or Queries are not always accurate, but that's expected at times.

Most times, when I am sending messages, emails, I use dictation. I personally don't have a major issue with what she deciphers (Aside from the common misspelled word). Something to consider when it comes to Siri, is annunciation of words, speaking clearly and audibly, are all key factors in experiencing Siri to have stronger results. Siri isn't perfect, but neither are the other voice assistance either.

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
My problem is the dumbness of Siri along with the price they want you to pay, it can't be ubiquitous at 10x the price of a dot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.