Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
schermata-05-2456420-alle-15-54-25.png

Am I the only one? Or does anyone else join in in the madness that is Eurovision?!

Denmark seem huge favourites to win this year, but anything can happen (apart from the UK winning...)

So, let's settle down for 3 and a half hours of cheesy, bad europop while listening to the dulcet tones of acts such as Cascada, Emmilie De Forest, ESDM and Bonnie Tyler.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Doctor Who starts in five minutes, then Eurovision shortly after that finishes. I have several bottles of fine ale chilled to perfection to enjoy during the course of the evening.

Tonight is going to be ace. Ace, I tell you.

After the last Eurovision thread I started on MacRumors, I was thinking that I was the only one left here. :eek:

I would've joined in if I had seen it - though I think I was actually at a Eurovision party... :eek:

Oh well, just me and you then eh?! :p

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Haha - Dont worry, still here!

Voted for Greece, France, Denmark and Ukraine... One vote each in our house!

Pretty good so far, for Eurovision at least!

OnceYouGoMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
In front of my Mac
I'm watching. I hope Denmark wins. UK and Ireland aren't doing all that great :( I think the UK should pull out in future. I don't think it matters what song they enter, they will always do crap.

OnceYouGoMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
In front of my Mac
Well it looks like Eurovision will be in Copenhagen next year :D Only 20 minutes from Malmo. I guess loads of people will fly Ryanair to Malmo and drive over the bridge - or will they? :D

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
When I lived in Europe, My time was too precious to waste it on crappy Euro pop songs.

Nothing has changed in the last 20 years.

-t

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Nah, Eurovision is great. On one level, it is a celebration of some notional 'European' identity. On another, it promotes a sort of levelling out of musical tastes, yes, it is cheesy, but that seems to be the point.

And yes, it is easy to be dismissive of the setting, competition itself, and the music (of course, the music), but to newly emerging states especially, success in the Eurovision means something, usually another step on the road to respectability, recognition, and acceptance on the European stage. It allows them to define themselves as 'european' (even though, sometimes, that means stretching what is understood geographically to mean 'Europe' more than a bit).

Most importantly, it gives newly independent countries, countries unsure of themselves, or what they stand for, a platform, and, in a number of cases, has served as a sort of carrot or beacon on the uneven path to establishing some sort of democracy (here, I'm thinking of the Serb victory a few years ago).

Seriously, though, anyone who has witnessed the ecstatic - and, at times, touching delight of 'new' countries when they win the contest for the first time, will soon discard their jaded palate and allow the 'new' countries their moment in the sun.

Mobile phone voting has transformed the contest, as the computer literate eastern Europeans vote in vast numbers, while we, complacent an occasionally condescending sods that we are, are content to sit on our sofas, drinking our beers, and criticising the songs while lamenting that fact that Terry Wogan no longer does the commentary.

I missed it this year, as I am away, but was commiserated with by grinning colleagues. Never mind. There is always next year, and well done Denmark.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.