Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Eve Systems today announced the upcoming launch of the Eve Play, an audio streaming interface created for AirPlay 2. Eve Play adds AirPlay streaming capabilities to existing amplifiers, active speakers, and sound bars, allowing them to be synchronized with other AirPlay speakers for whole-house audio.

eve-play.jpg

The Eve Play includes RCA connectors, optical digital outputs, and coaxial digital outputs, along with an Ethernet port and the option to connect to either 2.4 or 5GHz WiFi. According to Eve, the digital-to-analog converter has a signal-to-noise ratio of 112 dB for an "audiophile sound experience."

When used with the Apple Home app and Apple Music, the Eve Play can be integrated into automations similar to other AirPlay-equipped devices.

Alongside the Eve Play, Eve today introduced the Eve Thermo Control, a wireless temperature sensor and controller for rooms that are equipped with the Eve Thermo smart radiator valve. The Eve Thermo radiator valve is sold in Europe, so the new temperature sensor is also designed for the European market.

The Eve Thermo Control senses the ambient temperature and relays it to the smart radiator valve for more accurate climate control.

eve-thermo.jpg

In November, Eve plans to release a Matter update for Eve MotionBlinds roller blind motors and the Eve MotionBlinds Upgrade Kit, adding Adaptive Shading as a free upgrade feature. Adaptive Shading allows the blinds to open and close automatically based on location, date, and time.

Eve Play is priced at $150 and it will be available starting on November 14. The Eve Thermo Control is priced at €79.95 and will also be available on the same day. More information is available on the Eve website.

Article Link: Eve Debuts AirPlay-Compatible Eve Play and Eve Thermo Control

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

bittervictorian

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2005
Sydney
At first the $150 price for the Eve play sounded really high, but I'm actually having difficulty finding an existing comparable product for less, does anyone know of any?
Wiim mini:

Wiim Pro also (for more features)

MYZ

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2021
Canada
Wiim mini:

Wiim Pro also (for more features)
Thanks for the link, though it seems like the base model (the only one actually much cheaper) has this disclaimer: "Note that not all services offer 24-bit/192 kHz content; Amazon Music Ultra HD, Qobuz, and personal libraries support it. Additionally, TIDAL Master supports up to 24-bit/96kHz."

It doesn't say how low it can get for Apple Music users, so I'm assuming the worst.

bittervictorian

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2005
Sydney
Thanks for the link, though it seems like the base model (the only one actually much cheaper) has this disclaimer: "Note that not all services offer 24-bit/192 kHz content; Amazon Music Ultra HD, Qobuz, and personal libraries support it. Additionally, TIDAL Master supports up to 24-bit/96kHz."

It doesn't say how low it can get for Apple Music users, so I'm assuming the worst.
I’m not sure, as I don’t use Apple Music, but my understanding is that anything over airplay is not at “lossless” bit rates - so the Eve would be the same:

I think the only way you can listen to Apple Music on a stereo as “lossless” is some kind of DAC plugged into the stereo with an iPhone physically plugged into it

john9876

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
At first the $150 price for the Eve play sounded really high, but I'm actually having difficulty finding an existing comparable product for less, does anyone know of any?
The Belkin Soundform Connect. An AirPlay 2 adaptor that's been out for a few years. RRP is about £90, easily found for about £60 (on Amazon, eBay etc). Only has optical (SPDIF) and 3.5mm audio outputs, and WiFi not Ethernet, but a couple of them have worked reliably for me.

DeftwillP

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2011
Has anybody noticed issues with their old gen 2 AE and streaming lately? I hadn't streamed to one in some time but I tried over the weekend to go to my extra speakers in the kitchen along with the paired homepod minis and I realized that everyone one of my AE speaker sets would get out of sync almost immediately or cause all of the music to stop.

Marco Klobas

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2017
Italy
If only Apple would show more love for AirPlay protocol.

Namely: Hi-res and bit perfect. You know, the kind of stuff those silly audiophiles like.

It's not rocket science, Apple could easily implement it. If you're interested in these things, you'd use it. If you consider it a dumb audiophile-with-bat-ears fixation, you'd not use it. Simple as that.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
So, is the EvePlay similar to an AirPort Express Get 2 + an Amplifier?
like now I would only need to buy ONE item?

MYZ

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2021
Canada
I’m not sure, as I don’t use Apple Music, but my understanding is that anything over airplay is not at “lossless” bit rates - so the Eve would be the same:

I think the only way you can listen to Apple Music on a stereo as “lossless” is some kind of DAC plugged into the stereo with an iPhone physically plugged into it
Yes I think that is the case but the disclaimer for the Wiim is worded to suggest that Apple Music users won't even get "up to 24-bit/96kHz." let alone 192kHz. I think that's below the norm for airplay 2 to a homepod, studio display, iMac, etc...

Waterndirt

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2014
California
Has anybody noticed issues with their old gen 2 AE and streaming lately? I hadn't streamed to one in some time but I tried over the weekend to go to my extra speakers in the kitchen along with the paired homepod minis and I realized that everyone one of my AE speaker sets would get out of sync almost immediately or cause all of the music to stop.
Yes, I have 5 AE Gen 2’s in my house audio set up. 2 of them are now constantly giving trouble( not allowing me to select in Apple Music), one is wired Ethernet and the other wifi, reboots sometimes work and other time I have to set up as new. Buying them used typically costs about $30. They have been stellar up to this point.

Glad to see others getting in the game. Love Eve products.

Devnul0

macrumors regular
May 28, 2018
Greater Boston
The Belkin Soundform Connect. An AirPlay 2 adaptor that's been out for a few years. RRP is about £90, easily found for about £60 (on Amazon, eBay etc). Only has optical (SPDIF) and 3.5mm audio outputs, and WiFi not Ethernet, but a couple of them have worked reliably for me.
I have a couple of these and can second that they work well. In fact, yesterday I told my HomePod “Hey Siri, play album such-and-such on Big Stereo" (the Belkin is named that) and it worked, the HomePod streamed it to the Belkin, which I actually did not expect to work given the functionality quirks of the HP.

DeftwillP

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2011
Yes, I have 5 AE Gen 2’s in my house audio set up. 2 of them are now constantly giving trouble( not allowing me to select in Apple Music), one is wired Ethernet and the other wifi, reboots sometimes work and other time I have to set up as new. Buying them used typically costs about $30. They have been stellar up to this point.

Glad to see others getting in the game. Love Eve products.
Yeah it's a real shame. I had about a half dozen of them set up with independent amps and speaker sets but have been phasing them out for homepods. I've got a grocery sack full of them in my junk electronics closet.

deebinem

Suspended
May 7, 2017
So, is the EvePlay similar to an AirPort Express Get 2 + an Amplifier?
like now I would only need to buy ONE item?
I don't think so unless your speakers are powered. This looks to add some great connectivity/audio options but I'm guessing if you are using an amp for your speakers currently then this wouldn't change that setup:

eve-play-productpage-analog-digital.jpg

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

Once in a while I find myself having to power cycle the few that I have setup, but for the most part they're pretty good. One I use every morning (I airplay to it + a pair of OG HomePods).

gk_brown

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2020
I don't see much use for this in conjunction with a sound bar since an Apple TV would probably make more sense there.

Definitely a good option for a component-based sound system, although I have personally moved away from that in favor of HomePods.

jmw1480

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
Depending on what type of connections, channels, and power output you need, Fosi Audio makes some great products. I have a BT20A Pro powering two Infinity passive outdoor speakers, which gives me audio via Bluetooth and - via an AirPort Express input - AirPlay 2/Wi-Fi.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.