Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following an announcement last year and launch in Europe, Eve Systems today released the portable LED lamp Eve Flare in the United States and Canada. Similar to Hue Go, Eve Flare lets you pick up and easily move the lamp around the house -- or to outdoor locations thanks to IP65 water resistance -- to bring light wherever you go.

eve-flare-2.jpg

Eve Flare is compatible with Apple HomeKit and offers six hours of battery powered light. When the battery runs down, you can recharge Eve Flare easily thanks to an included wireless charging base.
"Wherever you need a pop of light, it is easy with Eve Flare. Find a spot, open the Eve App, pick the perfect shade and enjoy hours and hours of soothing light," says Ina Hirsch, Director of Marketing. "As with all Eve products, there's no bridge required so Eve Flare is built to go from your bedroom to your balcony to your garden and beyond."
The lamp allows you to choose from pre-made lighting shades or create your own custom color scenes, and does not require a bridge to work with HomeKit. Thanks to HomeKit support, you can include Eve Flare in your existing scenes and automations to turn the light on/off when you arrive/leave home, activate a scene via Siri, and more.

eve-flare-1.jpg

Eve Systems is continuing its rebranding from Elgato by focusing solely on its Eve line of HomeKit products, a move that was announced last summer. After that news, Eve Systems announced a new power strip, light strip, and light switch; and also updated the Eve Room in the fall. All of these products are compatible with HomeKit.

Eve Flare is priced at $99.95 and available to purchase today on Eve's website or on Amazon.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Eve Systems' Portable 'Flare' Lamp With HomeKit Support Launches in the U.S. and Canada

Alan Wynn

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2017
I can't tell you how many times I've read some version of the quote on an item the poster has no intention of buying.

How is it that you are able to determine the posters’ purchasing intentions? That is a very valuable skill, you should offer it as a service to all the manufacturers.

I have Schlage locks, First Alert HomeKit smoke detectors, iDevices and Ecobee Thermostats (one where I do not need AC, the other where I do), Insteon light switches (installed before HomeKit existed, used through the HomeKit bridge), Orbit B-Hyve irrigation controller (waiting on the HomeKit support to be activated), and am looking forward to a NetAtmo doorbell to go with the two NetAtmo cameras.

There are many other products that interest me, but based on my experience with my B-Hyve (this is a company that is really trying based on my discussions with them at CES), I would not purchase anything else that did not ship with HomeKit support.

While there are products that interest me, I do not expect that I will purchase them all the day they ship, nor will I purchase all the products in every category. However, I can say that I will not, under any circumstances, even look at a product in a HomeKit supported category that does not support HomeKit.

luvbug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Getting closer every day!
So, someone earning $15/hr (upper end of US minimum wage) would spend an entire days wages, after taxes, to buy one rechargeable lamp that last 6 hours?? I have a few rechargeable lamps, dumb ones of course, that have dimming and color selection via touch controls, 3x longer between charges, and cost 1/4 of the price. But hey, this is the USA, where people routinely throw their money away on "stuff", especially "smart stuff", so I'm sure it will be quite popular.

jimothyGator

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
So, someone earning $15/hr (upper end of US minimum wage) would spend an entire days wages, after taxes, to buy one rechargeable lamp that last 6 hours?? I have a few rechargeable lamps, dumb ones of course, that have dimming and color selection via touch controls, 3x longer between charges, and cost 1/4 of the price. But hey, this is the USA, where people routinely throw their money away on "stuff", especially "smart stuff", so I'm sure it will be quite popular.

Median US household income as of 2017 was about $61,000. That puts this at less than half a days work.

Here’s a political incorrect truth: people who earn more get to enjoy more material goods. Eve isn’t targeting $15 an hour workers with its product line. Smart home products in general are extravagances. Nobody needs them. Some will want them. Some who want them can afford them. It all works out.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I can't tell you how many times I've read some version of the quote on an item the poster has no intention of buying.

That's weird how you somehow know their intention. I complain and I bought my second house in 2016 and have been building out smart home integrations since then. So far I have a HomeKit door lock, garage door opener, thermostat, and outlets, along with Ring Door Bell Pro and Ring Floodlight Camera in the back which were shipped alongside the promise of eventual HomeKit support (which still hasn't happened and pisses me off). I also have the Ring Alarm and they've been sending me surveys asking about potential integration with Siri which is what interests me the most. It's less about HomeKit and more about being able to raise my wrist and control things with my Apple Watch. I'm currently looking at HomeKit blinds but see some mixed reviews. We have 8ft windows along the back of our house overlooking a forest and it's really annoying to deal with them. I've also been waiting on WeMo to upgrade their light switch firmware for HomeKit because I like their simple design and lower price (plus I have their outlet switches which work great). Lots of people who are heavy into the Apple ecosystem are building out their smart homes piece by piece like me and they don't need to buy every single thing that says it supports HomeKit, but there are still many holes that exist where some of us would like a HomeKit version of something.

How is it that you are able to determine the posters’ purchasing intentions? That is a very valuable skill, you should offer it as a service to all the manufacturers.

I have Schlage locks, First Alert HomeKit smoke detectors, iDevices and Ecobee Thermostats (one where I do not need AC, the other where I do), Insteon light switches (installed before HomeKit existed, used through the HomeKit bridge), Orbit B-Hyve irrigation controller (waiting on the HomeKit support to be activated), and am looking forward to a NetAtmo doorbell to go with the two NetAtmo cameras.

There are many other products that interest me, but based on my experience with my B-Hyve (this is a company that is really trying based on my discussions with them at CES), I would not purchase anything else that did not ship with HomeKit support.

While there are products that interest me, I do not expect that I will purchase them all the day they ship, nor will I purchase all the products in every category. However, I can say that I will not, under any circumstances, even look at a product in a HomeKit supported category that does not support HomeKit.
We are one in the same when it comes to this, lol. Only reason I wandered outside of HomeKit potential with the Ring Alarm is because it integrates with the doorbell and floodlight cam I already have, and the more I thought about it, the more I didn't think I necessarily needed my alarm system to be a part of my smart home. But I am looking into HomeBridge because it would be great if my motion sensors could turn on lights after sunset. But our front door and garage door have HomeKit and so I can use those as lighting triggers too so IDK. The main thing is I want to use my cameras to turn on other exterior lights.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
That's weird how you somehow know their intention.
Maybe I'm just extra intuitive. :)

I believe there's a difference between coming into a thread and saying, "You know, I have been looking for a product like this that allows me to control my X, but I wish it had Homekit compatibility," and, as I have seen almost verbatim many, many times, "No Homekit, no buy."

You've been around a long time and your posts are always worth my time. The paragraph you wrote in response to me is an example of the former. The latter, I consider more trolling than anything.

Alas, we disagree. That's okay. There's one thing we do agree on: WeMo light switches. It make so much sense to me that the brains be in the light switch where I can use the app, my voice, or my finger or elbow. I am awaiting their three-way switches to finish out our house. We have, I think, 3 more switches to do, and a couple of Kasa (TP-LINK) three way switches to replace with Belkin, and then every light will be able to be controlled via voice. And then, like you, its on to blinds.

Reactions: macduke
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.