Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yeiyei0891

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Every time I plug the external HDD (2TB- ExFat), spotlight indexing it again and I can't search files inside it.
I added the HDD to the spotlight privacy list and then I removed it and waited for it to finish indexing, but each time I unplug it and then plug again it starts again the indexing.
Any solution?
Thanks.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My solution to unwanted spotlight indexing was to COMPLETELY DISABLE spotlight with this terminal command:
sudo mdutil -a -i off

Or, you might try this command which (at least in earlier versions of the OS) stopped indexing of all volumes:
sudo defaults write /.Spotlight-V100/VolumeConfiguration Exclusions -array "/Volumes"

With spotlight disabled, I use the following two free apps for searches:
- EasyFind
- Find Any File

yeiyei0891

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
But i don't want disable spotlight, I want spotlight do a full indexing 1 time (only 1 time) and don't every time plug in.

yeiyei0891

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
I don't have an answer, but I see it being discussed other places like here and here.

Could be eXFAT related, but that's just a hunch. You might also copy your data and reformat again. Did it get formatted on a Mac, or Win box?
I formatted it with the MacBook. I'll try reformating it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.