Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
I love the Stacks feature and use it all the time, but sometimes I'd like to have one particular file sitting apart on the desktop and not be included in a stack. In this case a particular PDF of a book I'm reading, I want it to sit by itself and be clearly visible on the desktop so I'll remember to open and read it now and then. But I'd still like the rest of my PDFs to stay in the stack. Is there any solution to this?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
you could try making an alias of that one file, put that on the desktop (highlight the pdf, then File>Make Alias). haven't tried this (i don't use Stacks), but... try it, simple enough...

Reactions: Oohara

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
you could try making an alias of that one file, put that on the desktop (highlight the pdf, then File>Make Alias). haven't tried this (i don't use Stacks), but... try it, simple enough...
Yep thanks, I've tried that but the alias just gets treated like a real PDF and snaps back into the stack. I tried alt- and option-dragging too but no dice. So I guess I've already covered all options that make any sense, but still asking just in case there's something obvious that I'm missing.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
yup, just tried it, and you're right. what about dragging that pdf to the dock? at least it will be easily visible..
Oh I didn't know I could do that! Annoying that it's only allowed on the right portion of the dock near the trash can, also the icon goes generic PDF instead of showing the cover art but at least it persists in sight. Thanks!

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
There is a way to keep the cover art, just take a bit of tinkering.

Screen Shot 2019-02-11 at 7.39.02 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.