Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moved to XR from X/XS/XS Max due to Eye Strain. Do you still have eye strain on the XR?

• No, believe the no-PWM from the LCD screen solved my issue

Votes: 109 34.9%
  • Yes, still have eye strain.

Votes: 44 14.1%
  • Yes, still have eye strain. However, the strain stopped once I covered the 'Notch' FaceID

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • No, you guys are crazy!

Votes: 150 48.1%

• Total voters

TDDM

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2017
KA
Anyone else happy about the iPhone 9 Plus rumors?
I definitely am, I just hope it releases sooner than later. I thought Apple may delay all of their products due to coronavirus, but it seems like they‘re moving forward (considering all the stuff announced last week).

Personally, I’m hoping for an announcement this week. Might be a bit too soon since the 9/9 Plus apparently just entered mass production on March 18th, but I dunno.

francerex

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2018
I definitely am, I just hope it releases sooner than later. I thought Apple may delay all of their products due to coronavirus, but it seems like they‘re moving forward (considering all the stuff announced last week).

Personally, I’m hoping for an announcement this week. Might be a bit too soon since the 9/9 Plus apparently just entered mass production on March 18th, but I dunno.

Rumors says we will get it next year in a revised design with lateral touch id. Very skeptical though

TDDM

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2017
KA
Rumors says we will get it next year in a revised design with lateral touch id. Very skeptical though
I’ve been following Jon Prosser’s leaks (Excellent track record, recently correctly predicted the SE announcement + ship date), and he‘s been saying it was supposed to launch simultaneously with the SE, but had some production delays. He seems to think we’ll be getting it later this year.

Assuming this is all true, are you guys gonna get the SE Plus? I’m really happy about it, it should be perfectly fine for us eye strain wise & it’ll last at least 4-5 years. We may not be able to get the most modern looking phone out there, but at least we’ll have modern specs and features to hold us over until something changes with Apple’s other displays.

Attachments

• 5C738AED-209A-4D0D-82F8-D6C2806E5A86.jpeg
    5C738AED-209A-4D0D-82F8-D6C2806E5A86.jpeg
    313.7 KB · Views: 252
  • 9C0F36FA-592D-4E70-A0EB-320B42AC88E2.jpeg
    9C0F36FA-592D-4E70-A0EB-320B42AC88E2.jpeg
    515.8 KB · Views: 237
  • C84A5C68-D99E-4DD8-A563-0992DA33892E.jpeg
    C84A5C68-D99E-4DD8-A563-0992DA33892E.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 243

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I’ve been following Jon Prosser’s leaks (Excellent track record, recently correctly predicted the SE announcement + ship date), and he‘s been saying it was supposed to launch simultaneously with the SE, but had some production delays. He seems to think we’ll be getting it later this year.

Assuming this is all true, are you guys gonna get the SE Plus? I’m really happy about it, it should be perfectly fine for us eye strain wise & it’ll last at least 4-5 years. We may not be able to get the most modern looking phone out there, but at least we’ll have modern specs and features to hold us over until something changes with Apple’s other displays.
I’m looking forward to it and seeing how it all works. Bezels don’t bother me, and I don’t need a great camera.

dimitricook

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013
Dear iPhone users,

I am launching a survey to get more detailed information about this issues we have.
With this survey my goals is to collect all input from iPhone users who are experiencing problem.

1. Identify the cause of this problem by data.
2. Report this data to Apple so they can work on the solution.

Please take 2 min of your time to complete this survey and spread it to everyone you know that has that issues.

Thanks for your help!

Reactions: jimmy_uk and GlenK

mirmish111

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2020
Hi everyone , so its been around 1.5 months since i bought this iphone 11 , and until i visited this forum and read about the face id being considered as a reason i never believed in it either.
I have been having eye troubles within 1 week of usage, vision started to get blurry ,eyes started to get irritated , eyes started watering and headaches as well , So i decided to check if the face id is causing the issue so i covered the left part of the notch because i thought that is the only sensor , and i used my phone for 3-4 days and felt far far better but still a slight irritation was bothering me , until i saw a video a fellow member posted where the light rays emits from both left and right , and i left the right side uncovered . Since i use the phone for watching movies and playing game when the phone is in landscape the sensor appears to be in the left side and it made sense that my most strained eye is left (I ve never had an history of eye issue) i am gonna entirely cover the notch and use it for few more days until i confirm that this thread is true 100%

And its not just a normal flaw that someone can make , our eyes and vision are at stake and it really matters a lot !
Hello Everyone,

Starting a new thread because we believe this warrants a new poll. Many folks in this thread "https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/eye-strain-while-using-iphone-x.2085427/" are still having Eye Strain issues, even when switching to the iPhone XR.

So we are trying to decide what the issue is here. If there are still a substantial amount of eye strain / headache issues on the XR, it is not due to PWM. Perhaps it is due to FaceID or perhaps the lower resolution & reading of text?

Please do not vote, unless you have read the forum post above and have eye strain issues. We do not need the 'Tin-Foil' hat comments, as we understand that those of you that do not have the issue, do not believe it is a problem. If you do not have any eye strain with any device and feel like you NEED to vote, I put one called "No, you guys are crazy!", feel free to hit that one.

For those that have had the eye strain issues, this poll is for us to try and further understand the root cause.

Zaino

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2013
5c794259865ccc517da53a21e06f3f4a.jpg

Turn it off and set your screen on night shift. No more eye strain on XR.

francerex

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2018
I am very curious about the new iPad Air.

If I understand correctly there seem to be two possible explanations to iPhone XR/11 and iPad Pro bothering us:
- dithering of the Liquid Retina display
- FaceID

iPad Air 4 has Liquid Retina display but not FaceID. If it does not bother us then FaceID is the culprit. Will probably order it when available. My iPad Air 3 works just fine but this might be worth testing.

Anything wrong with this reasoning? Something that I am missing about the displays?

Reactions: Roadstar

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland

If I understand correctly there seem to be two possible explanations to iPhone XR/11 and iPad Pro bothering us:
- FaceID

iPad Air 4 has Liquid Retina display but not FaceID. If it does not bother us then FaceID is the culprit. Will probably order it when available. My iPad Air 3 works just fine but this might be worth testing.

Anything wrong with this reasoning? Something that I am missing about the displays?

This sounds like a great test, I’m eagerly waiting for the results if you decide to go forward with it.

orbitalpunk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
The iphone X screen did bother me but my 2020 iPP does not but i also turned off Face ID only on the iPP

TDDM

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2017
KA

- FaceID

Yeah, this was my thinking as well. I’m really curious if it’ll affect us in the same way as the other Liquid Retina devices.

EDIT: Just curious, has anyone here checked out the 2020 iPad Pros or the 2020 iPhone SE? According to notebookcheck, the iPads are now using PWM and the SE has the same flicker pattern as the XR, 11, 2018 iPad Pros etc. Not a good sign for those of us affected by this.)

Last edited:

TDDM

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2017
KA
Hey guys,

I made this post a little while ago in a different thread and thought I’d repost it here since it’s relevant to us. Curious if anyone has noticed a similar pattern:

-I’ve mentioned it before, but I think it has something to do with Temporal Dithering/A12 chip. This may only apply to some of us here, but certain people seem to have trouble with a specific range of devices. For example, if you’re part of this group I’m talking about, you’ll get consistent eye strain from the XR, 11, SE2020, iPad Pro 2018/2020, iPad Air 3, any Mac after 2015, etc. (OLED devices seem different, I’ve seen people who have issues with these devices strangely having no problem with PWM flickering.)

Anyway, I don’t know for sure because I can’t really test the screens, but I think Apple started doing something differently around 2016 for Macs and 2018 for iOS devices. Like I said, I think it started with the A12 chip, because we’ve cleared a lot of the other potential causes:

-It’s not True Tone because older devices have it and they doesn’t cause symptoms
-It’s not Face ID because the Air 3/iPad 8th Gen don’t have it and they still cause symptoms. Not to mention I’ve tried covering the Face Sensor on XR, 11, iPP 2018, etc
-It’s not any device setting in Display, Brightness, Accessibility, etc, we’ve tried nearly everything at this point
-It doesn’t have anything to do with the antireflective coating, P3 color gamut, oleophobic coating, etc.

Every device that seems to be causing problems for some of us has an A12 or better chip, that’s the only thing I can see that links them all together. I’m thinking this because my brother let me try his new iPad 8th Gen (which is the *EXACT* same as the 7th gen barring the new A12 chip), and it gives me the same eye strain as the other A12 devices. I could use the 7th gen for hours with no issues, so it points to the A12 chip IMO.

Again, this seems to only apply to some of us. If you only have trouble with just one or two of these devices and the rest work fine, I don’t think you’d need to worry about anything I say here.

On the other hand, if you notice you’re consistently having trouble with XR, 11, SE2020, iPad Air 3, iPad Mini 5, iPad Pro, 2018/2020, any Macs after 2015, etc, I would encourage you to try any iOS device with an A12 or better chip or a Mac after 2015 and see if you have the same symptoms, I think it could be valuable in finding what the actual cause is or trying to figure out a potential solution.

Reactions: nicklear

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
That’s terrible news. I never tried an Xr, but both an Xs max and a plain 11 gave me issues with headaches.

TDDM

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2017
KA
That’s terrible news. I never tried an Xr, but both an Xs max and a plain 11 gave me issues with headaches.
Have you tried any of the other A12/13 devices? It seems like some people have trouble with all the A12+ devices, but others don’t. You unfortunately won’t know for sure unless you try a few.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
Have you tried any of the other A12/13 devices? It seems like some people have trouble with all the A12+ devices, but others don’t. You unfortunately won’t know for sure unless you try a few.
I haven’t bothered. I know that if nothing has changed in terms of the pwm, I will just get the same results. My only hope was the se plus.

francerex

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2018
-It’s not Face ID because the Air 3/iPad 8th Gen don’t have it and they still cause symptoms.

Nice posting, those are on-point observations! I can relate with most of it except for IPad Air 3. Also, I do not exclude that the high gloss of apple screen worsens the symptoms. Having an antiglare screenprotector on my iphone 8 plus makes a difference.

I tested many screens in the last years. If I were to make a classification I would say:

Good - Normal Eye tiredness after very extended sessions
Dell Latitude
Dell XPS
HP Zbook15
HP monitors
Iphone 6s
Sony LCD TV

Decent - Eye strain after extended sessions
Iphone 8 Plus
Ipad Air

Bad - Eye strain after short periods
Iphone 11/XR
Macbook Air 2020

Killer - Debilitating after short period
IphoneXSMax

Watching this list, it seems the only explanation is temporal dithering, though not sure if the chip is the main cause. It seems to me that it is consistently related with the display itself

The macbook air 2020 is the latest I tried out (couple of weeks ago), after a few hours I had to lay down and sleep a bit as I felt sick. I then exchanged it with an XPS 13, and dear god, isn't this thing beautiful?
Normal tiredness after a full day of work and entertainment , but without that debilitating fatigue caused by apple screen. Now, if only dell were to make good phones and tablets :D

I am even considering selling the ipad as I can probably just do everything with the xps

Reactions: murtatha06

asus389

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2019
USA
Has anyone tried the 2020 SE and had this problem? I thought it was supposed to be the same as the iPhone 8, but now I'm wondering... I have a 2017 MacBook Pro (without Touch Bar) and do OK with it. My iPhone 6s and screen is fine, but it is on its last legs and was hoping to get a 2020 SE to replace it. I had to return an X because of PWM and the 11 Pro still bothered me, albeit a bit less.

Last edited:

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Has anyone tried the 2020 SE and had this problem? I thought it was supposed to be the same as the iPhone 8, but now I'm wondering... I have a 2017 MacBook Pro (without Touch Bar) and do OK with it. My iPhone 6s and the screen is fine, but it is on its last legs and was hoping to get a 2020 SE or 11 to replace it. I had to return an X because of PWM and the 11 Pro still bothered me, albeit a bit less.
I had a problem with the 2020 SE.

TDDM

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2017
KA
Just wondering: for those of us who have issues with the XR/11, have any of you tried the new iPad Air 4? Very curious to see if the problem is still there or if something has changed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.