Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Antecea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Requires iPhone OS 3.0 +

What does it do?
It gives you access to the files on your computer right from the iPhone.
You don't need to install any software on your computer.

ezFiles also doubles up as a WiFi flash drive and even lets you save files to the iPhone (or iPod touch) from a web browser.

Do you have a Time Capsule or an AirPort Extreme with a USB disk?
With ezFiles, you can access them from anywhere in the world. Just turn on "Share disks over WAN", and use ezFiles to access your data wherever you are (WiFi/3G/EDGE).

- Stream your favorite music and movies from your computer. The movies need to be optimized for the iPhone and ezFiles cannot play any format that is not supported by the iPhone OS.

- Custom PDF viewer:
The iPhone OS has a built-in PDF viewer that chokes on large PDF files and does not support password protected PDF.
Well, don't worry about that anymore. ezFiles has a custom pdf viewer that can handle large and password protected PDF files.

- View Microsoft Word, RTF, iWork '09 etc.

- Edit text files or create new ones on your computer

- Upload images and videos from your iPhone Camera library to your computer

- Email files as attachments using the iPhone Mail settings.

ezFiles uses the in-built file sharing protocols found on MAC OSX and all major versions of Microsoft Windows (including Windows 7)
For those who care, ezFiles supports the SMB and AFP protocols.

What about ezShare?
Well, ezShare's price is going to go up further and we want to have an app that is cheaper and doesn't necessarily have the 100s of features that a lot of people don't care about.

Think you might like the App? Reply to this message the features you like the most or think we should add.
We will be giving out 10 promo codes

We really appreciate feedback, so if you have the App or even general questions, don't hesitate to drop us an email at ezfiles [at] antecea [dot] com

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I appreciate the offer of promo codes, but what makes ezFiles any different than the other hundred file storing/emailing/sharing apps?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I would buy this in a heartbeat if I can really stream music & movies from my NAS drive.

Chumbake

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
Being able to upload videos and pictures directly from the iPhone to my computer without having to sync is a great concept. I'd love to try that out

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I need something like this with the ability to edit spreadsheets, preferably Numbers 09 spreadsheets.

Antecea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Does this app read CHM files?

Not yet. I believe there is an open source library that can interpret CHM files and has a iPhone App compatible license. We will look into it.

I need something like this with the ability to edit spreadsheets, preferably Numbers 09 spreadsheets.

No. We are working on a DOC editor, but its a daunting task and will take a while before it's even ready for BETA testing.

yayicecream

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2009
I'd love one of the promo codes

The feature I like the most is the ability to stream music and movies from the computer

The feature I think you guys should add is a method to transfer files over USB instead of Wi-Fi. Several other competing programs have that capability, and it really helps in my opinion.

Antecea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
I'd love one of the promo codes

The feature I like the most is the ability to stream music and movies from the computer

The feature I think you guys should add is a method to transfer files over USB instead of Wi-Fi. Several other competing programs have that capability, and it really helps in my opinion.

As a developer, I know we will require users to download and install an application on their computer (since iTunes will not let us use USB).

As a user, I don't quite understand why it matters (maybe performace). There is a huge benefit if it were true plug-n-play USB.
Why not just create an Ad-Hoc WiFi network with your computer? You can use it anywhere (even if there is no other WiFi network available).

Maybe we are missing something very important because I have heard this come up a couple of times.

yayicecream

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2009
As a developer, I know we will require users to download and install an application on their computer (since iTunes will not let us use USB).

As a user, I don't quite understand why it matters (maybe performace). There is a huge benefit if it were true plug-n-play USB.
Why not just create an Ad-Hoc WiFi network with your computer? You can use it anywhere (even if there is no other WiFi network available).

Maybe we are missing something very important because I have heard this come up a couple of times.

You're right - it would be perfect if it were true plug-and-play USB. I have no idea what it's like to make a program for the iPhone, but I imagine that this just isn't possible. I don't particularly mind downloading a program (one of your PDF-viewing competitors uses a free program for this) to transfer files back and forth between the computer and iPhone.

I really like at least having the option of being able to use a program to transfer files, because at least for me, the speed and reliability is better. I wouldn't want to have to transfer a 1GB+ file over Wi-Fi between my computer and phone, but I do it all the time when I sync my phone with iTunes or with one of your competitors' programs.

I have two programs on my iPhone that compete with your product, and both offer software to transfer data over USB. If they didn't have that option, I would have never purchased them.

Antecea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
I really like at least having the option of being able to use a program to transfer files, because at least for me, the speed and reliability is better. I wouldn't want to have to transfer a 1GB+ file over Wi-Fi between my computer and phone, but I do it all the time when I sync my phone with iTunes or with one of your competitors' programs.

ezShare (our other product) has the ability to resume interrupted downloads (that failed because of any reason, including a user exiting the app). That is something we will be adding to ezFiles in the next update.

It works when you connect to the computer from the App (not WiFi drive since that is not controlled by us).

As far as speed is concerned, I understand that the transfer spped of USB is nice, especially if you move a lot of 1GB files around.

Thanks for the feedback. I will send you a promo code. Please check your private message when you get a chance.

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Requires iPhone OS 3.0 +

What does it do?
It gives you access to the files on your computer right from the iPhone.
You don't need to install any software on your computer.

ezFiles also doubles up as a WiFi flash drive and even lets you save files to the iPhone (or iPod touch) from a web browser.

With ezFiles, you can access them from anywhere in the world. Just turn on "Share disks over WAN", and use ezFiles to access your data wherever you are (WiFi/3G/EDGE).

- Stream your favorite music and movies from your computer. The movies need to be optimized for the iPhone and ezFiles cannot play any format that is not supported by the iPhone OS.

- Custom PDF viewer:
The iPhone OS has a built-in PDF viewer that chokes on large PDF files and does not support password protected PDF.
Well, don't worry about that anymore. ezFiles has a custom pdf viewer that can handle large and password protected PDF files.

- View Microsoft Word, RTF, iWork '09 etc.

- Edit text files or create new ones on your computer

- Upload images and videos from your iPhone Camera library to your computer

- Email files as attachments using the iPhone Mail settings.

ezFiles uses the in-built file sharing protocols found on MAC OSX and all major versions of Microsoft Windows (including Windows 7)
For those who care, ezFiles supports the SMB and AFP protocols.

What about ezShare?
Well, ezShare's price is going to go up further and we want to have an app that is cheaper and doesn't necessarily have the 100s of features that a lot of people don't care about.

Think you might like the App? Reply to this message the features you like the most or think we should add.
We will be giving out 10 promo codes

We really appreciate feedback, so if you have the App or even general questions, don't hesitate to drop us an email at ezfiles [at] antecea [dot] com

Where are the promo codes?

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
I have a few questions about the app.

1. How do I stream videos? I have tried mpg wmv and avi and none have streamed when I click it, they just give me the options of what to do with the file.

2. How do I transfer files from my iPod to the computer?

Antecea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
I have a few questions about the app.

1. How do I stream videos? I have tried mpg wmv and avi and none have streamed when I click it, they just give me the options of what to do with the file.

ezFiles can only stream iPhone formats that are supported by the iPhone OS.
Please see the "Video Playback" in the page below:
http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

2. How do I transfer files from my iPod to the computer?

Where are these files located? ezFiles uses a "copy n paste" mechanism to transfer files from one computer to another.
When you find a file you would like to transfer, just copy it to the clipboard.
To do this:
1. Tap the file icon on the left of the file name.
2. Select "Copy file" in the pop up menu
3. Navigate to the folder on the destination computer.
4. Tap the clipboard. This will open a new windows with all your files in the clipboard.
5. Select a file to start the transfer.
Please note that all file transfers done using the clipboard are performed in the background. You can always check the status of your transfers by looking at the activity tab.

Can you send an email to ezfiles [at] antecea [dot] com?
Customer support emails are all kept there (easy for us to track them).

ma11ory

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2009
Michigan
Interested!

I really like the idea of:

This would be awesome! Saves space on my phone and increases my accessibility? I'm in. :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Where are the promo codes?

Don't quote the entire first post. Clearly you're here just for this but just don't do that.

To the Dev. I got the code, thank you. I'll install today and start to use. Like I said, if really can stream iPhone formatted movies I'm going to be real happy. Even if I have to leave a machine on to do it.

AlvinDj

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2009
Great App ! I'd very much like to review it if possible.

How about moving towards remote access / VPN near future :D

ljhatlga

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2008
Dear Developer(s),

I'm interested in obtaining a code and trying your app. Warning: I've tried and/or continue to use them all, e.g., MobileMe, Readdle, Dropbox, etc.

As a Creative Director I must sync+share with my staff, clients and vendors constantly, in an absurd range of static and motion media, all from my iPhone. But good luck making revisions on the fly, right?

If your app can improve my status quo--its speed isn't as critical as its simplicity and reliability--I'll become an example of your human marketing solution.

Antecea

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Great App ! I'd very much like to review it if possible.

How about moving towards remote access / VPN near future :D

Unless I misunderstood your question, that is what ezFiles is primarily about. The WiFi Hard drive is an added benefit. The primary use of this app (in our opinion) is the remote access capability.

You can connect via VPN to a corporate (or home) network. Whether you are on a WiFi network or 3G/EDGE. After that, start ezFiles and connect your a computer inside the network.

With AFP (Apple File Protocol), you do not need to do any of that to access Time Capsule and Airport Extreme disks.
To access a MAC OSX inside your home network without a VPN, you will need to forward TCP port 548.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.