Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Cyber security company F-Secure has acquired Little Flocker, the behavioral analysis-based monitoring app for Macs, developed by iPhone forensics expert and security researcher Jonathan Zdziarski, who joined Apple last month.

The Helsinki-based firm announced the news in a press release posted to its site, where it revealed that Little Flocker would be built into a new security product it's releasing, called XFENCE.

Little-Flocker.jpg

Little Flocker protects Macs by using advanced behavioral based analysis, and monitors apps that attempt to access confidential files and system resources. It also detects and blocks Mac ransomware. F-Secure will build Little Flocker's next-generation security engine into its new XFENCE technology. XFENCE will complement F-Secure's existing endpoint solutions to provide advanced behavioral Mac protection for both corporate and consumer customers.
F-Secure said that the "myth" of Macs not requiring protection against ransomware, backdoors, and other software was fading away, due to "Apple's popularity among senior-level employees and other high-value targets". By acquiring Little Flocker, it said it hoped to further enhance its products' existing cyber security capabilities for the sophisticated detection of zero-day attacks.

For businesses, the core technology is to be combined with F-Secure's security cloud and packaged into its Protection Service for Business, a security solution with centrally managed computer, mobile and server security with integrated patch management and mobile device management. Consumer customers can make use of the Flocker technology with F-Secure Safe, the company's multi-device security product.

Little Flocker developer Zdziarski announced in March that he was joining Apple's Security Engineering and Architecture team. Known as "NerveGas" within the jailbreaking community, Zdziarski had provided input on a number of important iOS-related security matters over the years, including Apple's high-profile battle with the FBI over unlocking an iPhone used by a shooter in the 2015 San Bernardino attack.

Article Link: F-Secure Acquires Jonathan Zdziarski's Mac Security App 'Little Flocker'

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
F-Secure said that the "myth" of Macs not requiring protection against ransomware, backdoors, and other software was fading away
Indeed, Macs are not completely immune but so far we've had no ransomware out in the wild.

dantroline

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
I have this app. I'm amazed at what it picks up. For example, App Store wants to access my camera when it starts up, I'd like to know why! On the other hand it can take a little bit of training, a bit like NoScript does for Firefox.

However I think for really security conscious people an open source version of the software would be ideal, if only there were developers willing to do it...

arilev

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2004
Oakland, CA
I have this app. I'm amazed at what it picks up. For example, App Store wants to access my camera when it starts up, I'd like to know why!

The camera can be used to snap a photo of prepaid/gift card codes so that you don't have to enter a crazy long string of numbers manually. Lots of people pay for their App Store and iTunes purchases this way.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
The camera can be used to snap a photo of prepaid/gift card codes so that you don't have to enter a crazy long string of numbers manually. Lots of people pay for their App Store and iTunes purchases this way.

Yeah, I get 'points' for buying gas, and when I get enough points, I turn them in for an iTunes gift card. It's about the only thing they offer for points that I can get. Makes total sense too. Well, at least I'm getting something usable...

diarbyrag

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2011
Having recently bought this I assume that in it's present form it is now dead, with no updates or support from the new owners ? ...

F-Secure costs around £80 per year so that ain't cheap

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Um, Wut!?! To my knowledge there has been Mac Ransomeare. One of them was from downloading Transmission from the source!
I was unaware of that, do you have any links that detail this?

Thanks

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Indeed, Macs are not completely immune but so far we've had no ransomware out in the wild.

Thanks

MalwareBytes have a few instances mentioned on their blog:

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/cybercrime/2016/03/first-mac-ransomware-spotted/
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/threat-analysis/2017/02/mac-ransomware-on-piracy-sites/
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/threat-analysis/2017/01/new-mac-backdoor-using-antiquated-code/

whothefvck

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016

Thanks

Patrick Wardle summarized Mac Malware of 2016 pretty good.
Patrick Wardle said:
KeRanger - 3/2016
The first fully-functional, in-the-wild ransomware for OS X.
Eleanor - 7/2016
A PHP-based backdoor that exposed infected computers as a hidden Tor service.
Keydnap - 7/2016
A standard backdoor for OS X with a propensity for stealing credentials, and used Tor for its communications.
Fake File Opener - 8/2016
A rather annoying piece of adware, though it did have a unique persistence mechanism.
Mokes - 9/2016
A fairly standard OS X backdoor, that did support a wide range of features.
Komplex - 9/2016
A Russian (APT 28/FancyBear) OS X implant, that provided remote 'administrative' capabilities.

Last edited:
Reactions: derohan

bennyf

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
USA
Bought Little Flocker and tried to use, but was just too annoying. Also a super pain to uninstall (have to google a terminal command...).

Not really suited to everyday use. F-secure can maybe make it practical for everyday users.

You are the One

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2014
In the present
I like Zdziarski so I went to F-Secure and read about it. Sounds useful. Read up on their vpn-service Freedome as well. They offer a vpn-service to private persons and then they use technology to block protocols in their customers traffic. As a customer you will not know this unless your read their fine-print. And logging they do of course.

So from a Privacy-prespective F-Secure suck. I don't like them not being upfront with their vpn-service as well.

I'll scrutinise their EULA for XFence before I decide if it's interesting.
[doublepost=1491497352][/doublepost]
You should check out a site called Mac rumors, they covered it...

It's an honest question. Be nice :D

Reactions: derohan

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
it revealed that Little Flocker would be built into a new security product it's releasing, called XFENCE

Effectively removing it from sale or download in the meantime.

Their corporate site is garbage and search fails.

weup togo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2016
Having recently bought this I assume that in it's present form it is now dead, with no updates or support from the new owners ? ...

F-Secure costs around £80 per year so that ain't cheap

I'm in the same boat. I'm guessing we early adopters get the shaft for supporting him at the beginning. As an Apple employee he pretty much has to wash his hands of the whole affair, and the new corporate overlords aren't going to give a **** about the few of us who knew about it before now.

tuukkap

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2017
I like Zdziarski so I went to F-Secure and read about it. Sounds useful. Read up on their vpn-service Freedome as well. They offer a vpn-service to private persons and then they use technology to block protocols in their customers traffic. As a customer you will not know this unless your read their fine-print. And logging they do of course.

So from a Privacy-prespective F-Secure suck. I don't like them not being upfront with their vpn-service as well.

I'll scrutinise their EULA for XFence before I decide if it's interesting.
[doublepost=1491497352][/doublepost]

It's an honest question. Be nice :D

Hi, please read https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/legal/privacy/freedome-no-nav for more information about privacy with Freedome. Working at F-Secure, I can say that our company does care a LOT about privacy, and at least I do not consider us sucking so much in that sense :) We jump a few extra hoops to further anonymise the collected data.

Yes, you probably get even more privacy by using something like Tor, but Freedome is offering security as well. Related article here: https://www.opswat.com/blog/malware-spread-tor-exit-node
Without trying to advertise too much, there was also a university research recently (linked in the article), where Freedome was found to be amongst the better VPN clients for security: https://arstechnica.com/security/20...ns-cant-be-trusted-to-make-users-more-secure/

Finally, Finland has pretty good privacy laws but like any country, the legislation still pose some requirements for providing these services.
[doublepost=1491810684][/doublepost]
I'm in the same boat. I'm guessing we early adopters get the shaft for supporting him at the beginning. As an Apple employee he pretty much has to wash his hands of the whole affair, and the new corporate overlords aren't going to give a **** about the few of us who knew about it before now.

Hello, one of the corporate overlords here, and giving a world about the few of you. No plans on shafting anyone ;) Instead we have been discussing about how to reach you early adopters to find a way for you to keep running and updating the product. Would love to hear from all of you and get valuable feedback in future too, so stay tuned.

weup togo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2016
Hello, one of the corporate overlords here, and giving a world about the few of you. No plans on shafting anyone ;) Instead we have been discussing about how to reach you early adopters to find a way for you to keep running and updating the product. Would love to hear from all of you and get valuable feedback in future too, so stay tuned.

Great to hear. Your stock went way up for actually being engaged with the community. I follow Mikko on Twitter, which is how I found out about the acquisition.

Honestly I'm sure the number of Jonathan's paying customers is so small that it might not be worth the effort. But I do appreciate that you at least know we exist. I don't actually think you owe us anything. With Jonathan going to Apple, the product was effectively dead anyway due to their IP and PR policies. I'm just glad the functionality is finding a home where the polish and ease of use can continue to improve for non-bleeding edge users.

Last edited:

diarbyrag

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2011
I actually had a reply from Jonathan and he assured me that f-secure would honour existing LF licences, so perhaps if they are watching this forum they could let us know exactly what we need to do ? unless of course he gave them our contact info from the purchase details ...

tuukkap

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2017
Great to hear. Your stock went way up for actually being engaged with the community. I follow Mikko on Twitter, which is how I found out about the acquisition.

Honestly I'm sure the number of Jonathan's paying customers is so small that it might not be worth the effort. But I do appreciate that you at least know we exist. I don't actually think you owe us anything. With Jonathan going to Apple, the product was effectively dead anyway due to their IP and PR policies. I'm just glad the functionality is finding a home where the polish and ease of use can continue to improve for non-bleeding edge users.

We will be contacting all of you existing LF customers via email hopefully still this week, based on the customer list we were provided. More information in the email, but basically you will have access to F-Secure XFENCE so no worries.
[doublepost=1491990536][/doublepost]
I actually had a reply from Jonathan and he assured me that f-secure would honour existing LF licences, so perhaps if they are watching this forum they could let us know exactly what we need to do ? unless of course he gave them our contact info from the purchase details ...

No need to do anything yet, we have the contact list and as mentioned above, will contact you soon :)

You are the One

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2014
In the present

Thumbs up for engaging with your customers here @ MacRumors.

Recently read about Finlands new coming surveillance laws. How will that impact your service?

maugustine

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2014
Portland, OR
Found it :)

To uninstall F-Secure XFENCE, first disable it from the menu bar, and then run the following command:

sudo bash /Library/XFENCE/uninstall.sh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.