Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier today Facebook announced (via 9to5Mac) Facebook SDK for tvOS, which the company says will help developers "build immersive social experiences on that platform." The three features the SDK allows thus far are Facebook Login, Share to Facebook and Facebook Analytics for Apps.

facebooklogin.png

Similar to Facebook Login on iOS, tvOS' Facebook Login would allow users to easily log in to their apps without having to worry about creating multiple accounts. Additionally, users wouldn't have to use Apple TV's cumbersome text entry method. Like some other TV authentication methods, Facebook Login would require a user to enter a confirmation code.
Facebook Login: A fast and easy way for people to log into your app and for you to provide rich, personalized experiences. To log into an app with their Facebook account, people can simply enter a confirmation code displayed on the TV into their smartphone or computer, rather than entering their username and password with the remote.
While Facebook Login would make it simpler for users to log into third-party apps and games, it's unlikely the same ease will be available for video apps like HBO Go, which require a user to authenticate the app via a cable or satellite provider account.

The new SDK would also include the ability for developers to allow users to share links, photos and video from tvOS to Facebook and help developers understand their audience with Facebook-based analytics. Developers can download the SDK from Facebook's developer site.

Article Link: Facebook Announces tvOS SDK With Login Support

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Follows the gameplan. Sure it was a half day of retargeting the source code, then two weeks of those who cannot code to be valuable giving their say, then the Zuck inner circle gets more words by yet more whom cannot code to make impression, then Zuck's inner circle changed a few APIs to make themselves look important. Then Zuck himself with the FB developer account password published it and all went public. Have fun anons!

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
Cumbersome text entry? It's no longer possible to enter text via the Remote app on iPad/iPhone?

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
Cumbersome text entry? It's no longer possible to enter text via the Remote app on iPad/iPhone?

The new Apple TV launched without support for either Bluetooth keyboards or the iOS Remote app, and there's no indication from Apple that they intend to provide either at a future date.

Reactions: Sandstorm

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
Facebook free since 2012.
Like quitting smoking, it seems unbearable at the start...but once you get past the first couple months, FREEDOM!
Reclaim your time and life again.

... seriously? I think you'd have to have some serious issues to have your life ruined by Facebook.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
The fact that Facebook already has a faster/better login method than Apple on their own device is sad. No remote app, no Bluetooth keyboards and a crappy single line text keyboard. At least the rest of the experience is good.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC

From what I've seen, they've laid out the alphabet horizontally, in one long row instead of the former grid. With the grid, you could jump up-down, left-right to quickly get to the letter or number you needed. Now, you must screen through the whole row to find it. I assume that's what is now more cumbersome. Definitely seems like form over function, something Apple is increasingly becoming guilty of.

And I want to add... that Facebook screen looks absolutely terrible. Low contrast, poor font. Reminds me of the Ariel font used for older versions of Windows. Ugh... please don't ruin Apple products with your terrible design, Facebook.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
... seriously? I think you'd have to have some serious issues to have your life ruined by Facebook.

When you've built up a network of "friends" around the world, it can become addictive keeping updated on what's happening and keeping them updated. Sure, maybe it's considered "a serious issue" to some people, but it's the new world we live in... socially connected through these services. So removing that from one's life can require a bit of discipline, focus and something else to take up your time.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
The new Apple TV launched without support for either Bluetooth keyboards or the iOS Remote app, and there's no indication from Apple that they intend to provide either at a future date.
Oh wow, I am happy now that I resisted the impulse to buy the new Apple TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.