Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facebook today activated its Dark Mode feature, which has been available as an "Easter Egg" setting since early March. According to a blog post on Facebook's Messenger site, a Dark Mode toggle is rolling out globally starting today.

Dark Mode can now be enabled by tapping on your profile photo in Messenger to get to the Messenger settings where Dark Mode is now an available option. Enabling Dark Mode changes the traditional white interface in the Messenger app to black.

facebook-messenger-dark-mode-800x576.png

Facebook says that Dark Mode is designed to provide lower brightness in situations where lighting is lower while maintaining contrast and vibrancy.

Prior to the launch of Dark Mode, it was able to be activated by sending a crescent moon emoji to someone using the Messenger app. Doing so would unlock the Dark Mode setting and allow it to be enabled. Facebook in March said the feature would eventually become an official setting.

Dark Mode is still rolling out to people and so not everyone may see the toggle right away.

Article Link: Facebook Messenger's Dark Mode Feature Now Available Worldwide

thewebb

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2014
AZ
I wish it would stop randomly turning off dark mode and making me manually turn it back on:mad:

Mizouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2014
I turned it on when the moon trick first came out.

But I eventually turned it off because there are times where you can’t see the message with dark mode on.

dipstah

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2017
not going to install fb, insta, messenger or anything related tofacebook. some of the worst apps you could install privacy and performance issues. I don't care what features they add to get users to install their crap.

Reactions: 341328

Evelyn Harthbrooke

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2013
Canada
not going to install fb, insta, messenger or anything related tofacebook. some of the worst apps you could install privacy and performance issues. I don't care what features they add to get users to install their crap.
Umm, Instagram is fine when it comes to privacy and performance with it is fine. Messenger is the same exact way. The only app in Facebook's repertoire suffering from those problems is the Facebook app itself. That's the only one that's slow.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2009
Big deal. Telegram is much better. It can automatically change to dark mode in the... you know... when it’s dark (later at night).

Reactions: MikeTheBohunk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.