Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facebook has confirmed to TechCrunch that it's testing an ability for its users to "snooze" certain keywords in their News Feed and groups for 30 days. The text-based snooze follows an update from late last year that introduced a way for users to snooze people, pages, and groups for 30 days.

In order to start snoozing keywords, users will first have to come across a post that includes the keyword they want to avoid, as there's no dedicated section to enter keywords into. Facebook has said that a "preemptive snooze option" is being looked into and could be added in the next few weeks.

facebook-snooze-techcrunch.jpg
Image via TechCrunch

For now, once a post is spotted users will find a new "Snooze keywords in this post" option in the ellipsis drop-down menu. From there, Facebook will generate a list of nouns gathered from the post that are available to snooze for one month. TechCrunch gave one example of how this might work for avoiding spoilers in the World Cup:
Tapping that reveals a list of nouns from the post you might want to nix, without common words like "the" in the way. So if you used the feature on a post that said "England won its World Cup game against Tunisia! Yes!", the feature would pull out "World Cup", "England", and "Tunisia". Select all that you want to snooze, and posts containing them will be hidden for a month. Currently, the feature only works on text, not images, and won't suggest synonyms you might want to snooze as well.
Ads won't be affected by snoozed keywords, so if you snooze something related to a movie the feature will only hide posts by friends and groups, but not ad posts encouraging Facebook users to visit the film's page or buy tickets.

In regards to the 30-day limit, Facebook mentioned that it is open to expanding the snooze feature if it hears from people "that they want more or less time," but didn't confirm an unlimited ability to snooze keywords. In comparison, Twitter and many related third-party clients offer the ability for users to mute keywords, users, hashtags, and more for as long as they want.

For Facebook's keyword snooze feature, a "small percentage of users" will see the update today ahead of a wider rollout in the coming weeks.

Article Link: Facebook Testing Ability to Snooze Keywords for 30 Days

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
What a coincidence. I just snoozed the Facebook app notifications about three weeks ago :cool:

Also, what prevents this feature from cleaning out my News Feed completely with the exception of ads? Lots of keywords piss me off on there.

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
You know what killed Facebook? Algorithms. They decided it wasn’t ok for people to just see a line of posts and updates from their friends, they needed to be the ones choosing which posts were seen and when.

The end result is people miss things they want to see, and are bombarded with the same posts over and over. Forget the politics stuff, most of which is overblown, the death of Facebook began with the algorithm. This “snooze” feature is just another way Facebook wants to try to control what people see, and it’s killing their brand.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Will it accept Wildcards for a search term? Will there be a Wildcard comparable to ‘*’ ?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
People must've leaving FB in droves. Its been nothing but damage control at FB ever since the Cambridge Analyitica fiasco.

Reactions: Order_66

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
I preempted this feature 3 weeks ago by simply deleting my Facebook account. Felt weird the first week, but now I’ve noticed how much more time I have because I’m not busy reading through all the drivel.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
People must've leaving FB in droves. Its been nothing but damage control at FB ever since the Cambridge Analyitica fiasco.

People aren’t, 15-25 year olds are. Many times they are just moving to another social media program and it’s not because of privacy concerns or being angry at what FB has done as a business but because their parents or other Old People use Facebook and that not cool.

A lot of them turn to Instagram and it’s OWNED by Facebook.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I use the Facebook Purity extension for my desktop browser and it’s awesome. You can filter out words, phrases, sidebar junk and keep the feed sorted for most recent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.