Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facebook today announced three new mobile app features aimed at helping its users better "create and save memories," with a launch in India first and then rolling out to the global community "shortly thereafter" (via The Verge).

The first feature allows photos and videos taken with Facebook's in-app camera to be saved directly to a user's Facebook account in the cloud, and not onto their device's storage. This is aimed at the India market due to the popularity of cheaper entry-level devices in the country and their inherent storage limitations.

facebook-camera-cloud-storage.jpg
Image via The Verge

These pictures and videos will only be visible to the user after they're saved, but can then be posted to a wide audience. According to The Verge, "If there's a capacity limit to the new storage options, Facebook doesn't mention it."

Also in the camera, users will be able to share voice messages as "Voice Posts" thanks to a new audio option. This is another aim at the Indian smartphone user market, since local users will be able to quickly record a voice message and send it to a friend, without Facebook needing to update its app with more native language keyboards.

Lastly, users will gain an ability to archive their favorite Facebook Stories before they disappear after 24 hours. Facebook debuted a somewhat similar feature for Instagram late last year, allowing users to highlight their favorite stories permanently on their main profile as a way to show off their personality to any visitors.

Facebook is also gearing up to launch a major Messenger update, which will introduce a dark mode, customizable chat bubbles, and a simplified user interface into the chat app. Facebook revealed the update during its F8 conference earlier this month, admitting that Messenger had become cluttered over the last few years and promising that the new update would greatly streamline and simplify the app.

Article Link: Facebook to Launch Cloud Storage Feature for Photos and Videos Taken With In-App Camera

erinsarah

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
I am also bemused with how the lead image shows one of those dumb lanterns; the ones that are extremely dangerous to animals and the environment.

I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering where these mobile fire pits go once they are launched into space.

As for the Facebook camera...that's that thing that appears on my phone when I accidentally swipe right on the app, forcing me to swipe left to get back to the news feed?

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
i thought the facebook messenger update was suppose to be out "very very soon" its been like 16 days since it was announced o_O

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering where these mobile fire pits go once they are launched into space.

As for the Facebook camera...that's that thing that appears on my phone when I accidentally swipe right on the app, forcing me to swipe left to get back to the news feed?

LOL I would have described the situation with FB Camera exactly the same way.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
They want to perfect face recognition and this is a really cheap way to do it. Facebook also wants to keep people in their app for as long as possible. I can only imagine how AOL would’ve taken advantage of their near monopoly had the Internet been as ubiquitous as it is today. AOL had no solution for broadband. FB doesn’t seem to be facing any existential threats on the horizon.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Hahahaha. This is the last thing Facebook wants to launch after recent events..

After everything current, you can pretty much assume ANYTHING you load into the Facebook app is collected and never, ever deleted. Every stray camera snap is theirs forever so don’t be naked around it. They never anonymize anything and sell it to the highest bidder. So every voice memo you make is sticking forever even the unsent ones. Until 5 years from now when they show up in some dataset FB sold to politicians and the stuff you “never uploaded” gets out in public.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.