FaceID, polarized Maui Jim’s, and bright sun...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eoblaed, Nov 3, 2017.

1. eoblaed, Nov 3, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2017

eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

10/10

I wear a pair of polarized Maui Jim sunglasses. After getting my X this morning I tested FaceID While wearing them. Full sun.

I tried it with the sun in my face, at my side, at my back (so it was shining on the phone and I would’ve been backlit). I tested it in the car (so I was covered in moving, partial shade), and while in my car in complete shade, all with the polarized sunglasses on.

It worked every time.

The times in the car, my phone was not held directly in front of me as the steering wheel would’ve been awkward, so I held it as I normally do, which is off to the side a bit.

So far, FaceID is a champ. :cool:

2. kingneptune117 macrumors regular

Same here! I have a pair of Maui Jim Freight Trains (amazing sunglasses by the way). Face ID has no problems working with these sunglasses.

3. eoblaed thread starter macrumors 68020

eoblaed

Part of the reason I posted, was because some people were concerned about how well it would work bright, direct sunlight. No problem so far!

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Good to know. I know this was heavily speculated with brighter lighting conditions possibly interfering with the facial recognition. Craig Federighi also stated some sunglasses could be problematic, but no issues with yours at least.

5. fmalloy macrumors 6502

My TouchID works flawlessly, every time, when wearing a hat, sunglasses, scarf, ski mask. Only issue is gloves :p

6. eoblaed thread starter macrumors 68020

eoblaed

7. kingneptune117 macrumors regular

8. bmac4 macrumors 601

bmac4

I am glad it worked for you, but I can’t get it to work with my polarized Ray Bands. I have tried everything, and it’s a no go. Pretty frustrated.