Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
10/10

I wear a pair of polarized Maui Jim sunglasses. After getting my X this morning I tested FaceID While wearing them. Full sun.

I tried it with the sun in my face, at my side, at my back (so it was shining on the phone and I would’ve been backlit). I tested it in the car (so I was covered in moving, partial shade), and while in my car in complete shade, all with the polarized sunglasses on.

It worked every time.

The times in the car, my phone was not held directly in front of me as the steering wheel would’ve been awkward, so I held it as I normally do, which is off to the side a bit.

So far, FaceID is a champ. :cool:

Last edited:

kingneptune117

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2014
10/10

I wear a pair of polarized Maui Jim sunglasses. After gettin my X this morning I tested FaceID While wearing them. Full sun.

I tried it with the sun in my face, at my side, at my back (so it was shining on the phone and I would’ve been backlit). I tested it in the car (so I was covered in moving, partial shade), and while in my car in complete shade, all with the polarized sunglasses on.

It worked every time.

The times in the car, my phone was not held directly in front of me as the steering wheel would’ve been awkward, so I held it as I normally do, which is off to the side a bit.

So far, FaceID is a champ. :cool:
Same here! I have a pair of Maui Jim Freight Trains (amazing sunglasses by the way). Face ID has no problems working with these sunglasses.

Reactions: eoblaed

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Part of the reason I posted, was because some people were concerned about how well it would work bright, direct sunlight. No problem so far!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Good to know. I know this was heavily speculated with brighter lighting conditions possibly interfering with the facial recognition. Craig Federighi also stated some sunglasses could be problematic, but no issues with yours at least.

fmalloy

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
My TouchID works flawlessly, every time, when wearing a hat, sunglasses, scarf, ski mask. Only issue is gloves :p

bmac4

Suspended
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I am glad it worked for you, but I can’t get it to work with my polarized Ray Bands. I have tried everything, and it’s a no go. Pretty frustrated.

Reactions: JPIndustrie
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.