Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that FaceTime is launching on Apple TV as part of tvOS 17. The feature will take advantage of Apple's Continuity Camera feature, allowing for people to use a wirelessly connected iPhone or iPad camera to participate in a video call.

FaceTime-Apple-TV.jpeg

Users will be able to start a FaceTime call directly from the new FaceTime app on Apple TV, or hand off a FaceTime call from an iPhone or iPad to your TV. The feature requires a second-generation Apple TV 4K or newer updated to tvOS 17, as well as any iPhone or iPad model updated to iOS 17 or iPadOS 17 for camera and microphone functionality.

FaceTime on the Apple TV supports Center Stage, an existing feature that keeps people perfectly framed on the screen, even as they move around. New gesture-based reactions allow callers to use their hands to initiate on-screen effects, such as hearts or fireworks. FaceTime calls can be transferred back to an iPhone or iPad as needed.

tvOS 17 and iOS 17 are available in beta starting today, and the software updates will be released to the public later this year.

Article Link: FaceTime Launching on Apple TV With iPhone and iPad Camera Support

Last edited:
Reactions: m4c1n705h

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I like this! Does anybody know what phone stand that is they’ve used in the screenshot above? Looks quite nice
If you have a 3D printer, there are a variety of designs you can print that will sit on a table:

ttyRazor

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2019
Nice, but I wonder what's the lag of this.
it’d be interesting if the camera + mic is one connection and the display on your apple TV is another, rather than an extra hop from phone to apple tv to the other person (or people) you’re talking to.

gk_brown

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2020
Dumb as ****! Instead of having to right 150K lines of code to fix a problem they caused by not putting a USB port on the Apple TV.
Agreed - using the phone as a camera/mic seems like a hack to work around the fact that the ATV doesn't actually support peripherals.

Reactions: grs5003

jjMMpp

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2022
What I would love to do is use my Apple TV as a music server of sorts, and then a USB connected DAC. Wishful thinking I know... Apple... letting people outside of their straight-jacket walled paradise.

McWetty

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Can’t say I’ll use FaceTime on Apple TV like they expect, but I’m glad to see this first step. Hoping for a HomePod Show to fill the gap.

Reactions: 211

Jgreg00

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2016
Agreed - using the phone as a camera/mic seems like a hack to work around the fact that the ATV doesn't actually support peripherals.

Nah, being able to use am iPhone which has a much higher quality camera and microphone and which people already have is much better than having to purchase a webcam which will generally get minimal use. People with wall mounted TVs, especially nicely integrated ones or like a Frame, are gonna leave webcams plugged in? No. It's also much easier to move and aim a phone than a wired webcam.

Reactions: pplfn and Kengineer

mossimossimossi

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2023
I guess a phone stand set up on the coffee table will work in a pinch but I can see them coming out with the HomePod + Camera or just an updated iSight camera!

dpfenninger

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2005
Can anyone confirm that FaceTime on tvOS 17 requires the 4K Apple TV? I'm still on an Apple TV HD, but I've been pining for FaceTime on my TV for years...so this may be the nudge I need to finally upgrade my Apple TV if it does indeed require the 4K version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.