Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrianSalts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
because i really need a laptop for school right now i rushed into buying a black macbook-

and now i'm not feeling so good because it's a CTO, and I can't return that incase a new macbook model comes out on tuesday.

*smacks himself

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
*smacks you too*

Does your MacBook suddenly stop working when they release new ones? I don't get it. Seems to me you picked out the machine that did what you needed it to do, and no matter what Apple releases (if they do) next week, it won't stop serving your needs. Hell, with that logic, you should never buy a new Mac, because in a few months a new one will come out!

apachie2k

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2006
was NYC...now MIAMI
livingfortoday said:
*smacks you too*

Does your MacBook suddenly stop working when they release new ones? I don't get it. Seems to me you picked out the machine that did what you needed it to do, and no matter what Apple releases (if they do) next week, it won't stop serving your needs. Hell, with that logic, you should never buy a new Mac, because in a few months a new one will come out!

hahaha...it's a constant battle...that computer is good though, it's gonna last u a longgg time

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Don't worry about it. If it serves you well, that's all you should care about. Even if they do put a Core 2 Duo in the Macbooks (my gut feeling is that they won't yet) you're only talking about something like 10% speed increase in benchmarks. To me that's nothing to get too worked up about.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
You can still play nice and they'll let you return it. Few years back i bought a G5 iMac with BTO 2.0GHz/1GB RAM and 250 GB HDD. Had it for 5 days but couldnt keep it because the display wasnt adjustable hence it wasnt ergonomic for me.

I simply called them and told i wanted to return in in hopes of buying a laptop instead. The woman obliged with no questions at all. I did this twice by the way, first was a 20" model then the second a 17" model.

Your mileage may vary though.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
livingfortoday said:
*smacks you too*

It's not a matter of whether or not your computer will still work, it's about trying to get the most for your money.

I watch the buying guides very close so I can guesstimate the release of the next version of whatever product I'm looking at buying. I bought a new Mac mini two days ago, but I was going to wait until the 12th (or even a week later) to buy it because I would have kicked myself if an update came out just a week or two after I bought mine. Would the old mini still have worked? Absolutely, but having waited I got the most out of my money at this time.

Anyway, I don't think a new MacBook is going to be announced on Tuesday, just my gut feeling. They'll update the MacBook Pros first, then a few weeks later they'll update the MacBooks. Just my feeling anyway.

So be happy with your purchase, it's a powerful machine, and it looks sexy too. ;)

SpankyPenzaanz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
What seems logical to me is that they would upgrade the chips (core2duo) in the mbps and leave the mb at core duo. This would cause the separation they need in their laptops because as it stand now the mbps only edge out the mb in performance. why would someone spend more money on a mbp if it only performs marginally better than a mb (barring the screen and video card difference). I'm sure the bean counters at apple know this and probably create a similar scenario when the powerbooks had g4s and the ibooks had g3s.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
BrianSalts said:
is there a big diff between the core 2 duo chips and the core duo chips?

Not enough to make the average consumer to sell a computer they just bought to sell it to get the Core 2 Duo I dont think. On the other hand if you had a G4 and wanted to upgrade then probably worth the wait

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Can't really comment on the feeling stupid, since I don't have the sense of touch over MacRumors, and those touch sculptures were always freaky.

But, post a pic. And we will see if you are looking stupid right now. :p

---

On another note, rushing into a $1500 purchase...
attachment.php

Note: I just love thread titles like this, because I'm always waiting to see if somebody is going to say the obvious.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
i see no reason to be mad, i did the same thing but i needed the comp researched and decided core 2 duo isnt better enough for me to not do well in school. The macboks are amazing and i see no reason you should be mad at yourself. you can paly th waiting game forever, but the buying game is so much fun when you get it.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
BrianSalts said:
is there a big diff between the core 2 duo chips and the core duo chips?
Benchmarks I have seen show the Core 2s about 10-20% faster than the plain jane duos.

The real question is: is it a big difference for you? How regularly are you encoding video and converting RAW images? Email won't be any faster (that's a tubes issue).

I still do a lot of work on my 12" PB G4 and only yearn for a new MBP every once in a while. Hell, I run Handbrake on here sometimes...

Gosh

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2006
Good review by-the way!

Treat your MacBook to maximum RAM and be pleased in the knowledge that with it's extra RAM, it'll take on allcomers!

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
don't sweat it--it's possible that Apple actually won't announce new laptops tomorrow, and even if they do yours is still as good as it was yesterday ;)

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
I bought a powerbook g4 1.5ghz 2 years ago ( to the day actually) and it still does everything I need it to do flawlessly. I also see no signs of slowing down with this computer and I feel that it will last me longer than any windows based pc i've ever built or owned. Plus its designed and seems to be built much better than any pc I've ever used.

I am a graphic designer. I run the whole adobe suite plus Quark and macromedia suite as well, often at the same time.

That macbook will last you a very long time. Don't worry.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
tuartboy said:
Benchmarks I have seen show the Core 2s about 10-20% faster than the plain jane duos.

The real question is: is it a big difference for you? How regularly are you encoding video and converting RAW images? Email won't be any faster (that's a tubes issue).

I still do a lot of work on my 12" PB G4 and only yearn for a new MBP every once in a while. Hell, I run Handbrake on here sometimes...

Another real question is - does your computer work well? Defectless? Because the MB isn't expecting a case redesign at all, and because graphics cards don't matter, the main factor apart from the slight speed difference is "Rev B stability." If your new MB works fine, then odds are that it'll be pretty much just as good as a Rev B and you won't notice a difference.

(note: this doesn't apply to MBPs, as the MBPs do have important things that can potentially change with a new rev)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.