Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Feral interactive has announced that BioShock Remastered, a new high-definition version of the popular first-person shooter, is coming to macOS later this year to celebrate the tenth anniversary of the game's original release.

Originally developed by Irrational Games and published by 2K for PC and consoles, BioShock is set in the decaying underwater city of Rapture, a darkly imaginative gameworld inspired by Ayn Rand's philosophy of Objectivism.

BioShock-remastered-696x418.jpg
Set in an alternative 1960, BioShock Remastered plunges players into Rapture, an individualistic utopia gone badly wrong. To survive the onslaughts of the city's deranged inhabitants, players must rewrite their own genetic codes, and find creative ways to combine their terrifying new powers with devastating weapons. With a thought-provoking storyline, BioShock is at once beautiful, thrilling and frightening, and explores profound ideas about science, politics and human nature.
"We're thrilled to bring an enhanced version of BioShock to macOS 10 years after its original release," said David Stephen, managing director of Feral Interactive.

"The improved graphics make the most of the spectacular art direction, combining art deco design, science fiction themes, and a horror sensibility. There's never been a better time to visit Rapture."

Rather than an update to the original title, BioShock Remastered will be available as a full game from the Feral Store, Steam and the Mac App Store. System requirements and pricing will be confirmed by Feral closer to release.

Update 8/15: BioShock Remastered will launch on Steam on August 22 for $19.99, and "shortly afterwards" the game will be made available at the same price on the Mac App Store.

Article Link: First-Person Shooter 'BioShock Remastered' Coming to Mac This Year [Updated]

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Beautifully crafted game, I got it for the PS4, yet with that said, it did not grab me. The game play seemed kind of redundant - even for FPS.

cracksoup

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2014
It's all about the story, largely the FPS element is incidental.

I remember when it first came out. Graphics were ridiculous. That opening scene and the water effect was incredible.
Until Crysis came along and shook the gaming world to a new dimension.. That friggin game is almost 10 years old and still looks immaculate at times...

twinlight

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2016
Amazing game. Tried it and was hooked. Played for hours the first day. Good story, creepy atmosphere. The book was really good to. Explains what happened before the game. To bad the movie was cancelled. :(

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

I remember when it first came out. Graphics were ridiculous. That opening scene and the water effect was incredible.
No question that the game is about the story, but it just didn't grab me. I'm probably 1/2 done, i.e. in the Farmers Market and I just put the game down.

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
If Apple released a 4K Apple TV with 4gigs of RAM and possibly the A12 or A12X next year, they could really start to compete with the game consoles and take the Apple TV to the next level, increasing revenue.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008

I remember seeing an interview with Ken Levine, the opening scene was filmed in engine that's why the effect was so well done and the cut from scene to game was seamless.

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
Amazing game and story, keynote worthy in all aspects not like those crossy road 5 year old looking graphics. I hope they fully embrace Metal 2.

Reactions: gixxerfool

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
what are system requirements?

when i link for requirements the table is empty.

also says cannot run on your hard disc.
will see if works in my imac later

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
If Apple released a 4K Apple TV with 4gigs of RAM and possibly the A12 or A12X next year, they could really start to compete with the game consoles and take the Apple TV to the next level, increasing revenue.

Yeah, that would be great, I'd really like to see them go all out on the Apple TV hardware, even in "loss leader" style. Unfortunately, we'll probably just get an A9 based 4K Apple TV this year, and then nothing at all next year.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
I hope they fully embrace Metal 2.

This.

I have the original game for Windows and MacOS and remember the Mac version running quite a lot worse compared to Windows on the same hardware (like most games do, I guess). Hope Metal 2 will change things!

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
"and you'll have to buy an £8000 iMac Pro with a video card good enough to play it at PS3 specs, arf arf arf arf arf arf arf"

jawonder

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2017
Will get it on Mac . What happen to their promise to bring back to iOS it’s been over two years or more ?.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
I thought Bioshock was a pretty amazing game on several levels, when it came out. But at the same time? It does grate on my nerves a bit, the way it blows up Ayn Rand's philosophies into a WAY out there "worst case scenario". Ayn Rand was one of the people who first got me interested in libertarian ideas, even if (like practically all philosophers), she was wrong about some things.

There seems to be a strong movement out there to bash her as utterly evil and with her writing having absolutely no merit. I'm not sure the authors of Bioshock meant to contribute to that, purposely .... but I think it did wind up adding more fuel to that fire.

I think even hard-core Objectivists would concede that parts of human nature like a sense of self-preservation would tend to prevent some of the things in Bioshock from ever happening.

I'm one of those people who didn't play the original game all the way through, too -- so maybe a remastered edition would prompt me to go back into it and try to finish it again. (I got pretty far into it, but life and a lack of free time got in the way at some point ... and I started playing the second and third installments later on, having already heard how the first one ends.) I agree though .... it's kind of a money grab just reselling people the same game a second time around, except with updated graphics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.