Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Feral Interactive has announced that the first game in the Total War: Warhammer trilogy is set to come to the Mac next week.

Originally developed by Creative Assembly in partnership with Games Workshop and published by SEGA, Feral has completed the work of converting the popular PC title to run via Apple's new graphics API, Metal, and will launch the Mac game on April 18.

screen3-800x450.jpg

A fantasy strategy game of colossal proportions, Total War: WARHAMMER combines an addictive turn-based campaign of skillful empire-building with explosive real-time battles as players strive to conquer all at the head of one of four mythic Races.

The deep and rich universe of Warhammer opens a new era for Total War by taking the series into a magical realm of grand high fantasy. Gigantic monsters, flying dragons, legendary heroes and regiments of nightmarish warriors all take their place on the bloody battlefields of Warhammer's Old World.
Gamers get to command one of four races, each with its own radically different play style, units, characteristics and abilities. Players can choose to command the tough and vengeful Dwarfs, the undead Vampire Counts, the valiant men of the Empire, or the barbaric Orcs and Goblins of the Greenskin tribes.

The original Windows title proved a big hit, but some users reported technical glitches that marred their enjoyment of the game, so it remains to be seen whether Feral has managed to overcome those issues in the conversion process.

The Mac version of Total War: Warhammer will be available through the Feral Store, the Mac App Store and Steam from April 18. System requirements have yet to be announced.

Article Link: Feral Interactive to Release 'Total War: Warhammer' For Mac Next Week

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Yay! Hope Metal makes it runs well (at least as good as on Windows that is) on supported hardware.

But of course Total War: Warhammer II is on its way to Windows this year…

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
If you buy via Steam you'll be able to install the Windows and Mac version for the same price. So I'm expecting to see some performance comparisons on the same machine.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
You don't get a Mac to play games, simple as that

Yeah. You're not supposed to have fun with a Mac.

When I bought my first Mac, it didn't take me long to come to the sad realisation that Macs totally suck for gaming. I solved it by buying an Xbox 360. Now I also have an Xbox One and a PS4 and don't have to care about the gaming capabilities of my computers anymore.

Reactions: sudo1996

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
War is fun! C'mon kiddies, let's play! Never mind the blood and blown off body parts. Death, horror & destruction is just a game! Have fun!

Kynmore

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2011
War is fun! C'mon kiddies, let's play! Never mind the blood and blown off body parts. Death, horror & destruction is just a game! Have fun!

Better see people do this in a game than in real life. Though, I don't see too many Orcs in real life...

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Yeah. You're not supposed to have fun with a Mac.

When I bought my first Mac, it didn't take me long to come to the sad realisation that Macs totally suck for gaming. I solved it by buying an Xbox 360. Now I also have an Xbox One and a PS4 and don't have to care about the gaming capabilities of my computers anymore.

I have nothing against consoles, but some games work better on computers with a keyboard and a mouse. Such an example is real time strategy games like the game discussed in this article.

Zaqfalcon

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
I haven't played these Warhammer games for more than twenty years but it appears to me that Games Workshop are well behind the times with this stuff and should already be in the augmented reality space integrating with their boardgames and model figures by now.

Last edited:

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
Heh, I didn't even know about this. Last time I saw fantasy Total War game was when I tried the Hyrule Total War mod for Medieval TW. It was hilarious.
[doublepost=1492053811][/doublepost]
You don't get a Mac to play games, simple as that
Yeah I do. I mean, 99% of the time I'm not playing games, but I still play games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.