Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week Firefox announced its upcoming "Quantum" browser that will bring twice the internet browsing speeds when it launches on November 14. Ahead of that major update, the company is now releasing a few minor additions to Firefox on desktop that will let you save screenshots, share content more easily between your computer and smartphone, and more.

Screenshots allow you to capture any area within the Firefox browser without needing to download new software. After tapping a "Screenshot" button, Firefox presents a new interface where you can customize the specific part of the page you want to take a shot of, or let Firefox automatically detect the area you want, and then click save.

You can save the screenshot to the web and generate a URL for easy sharing, or download the file to your computer. Firefox will also keep track of all the screenshots in a new "My Shots" folder, saving images automatically for two weeks.

"Send Tabs" allows you to two-finger click on a tab open on Mac and select "Send tab to..." and choose between synced iPhone and iPad devices, which will then have the same tab ready for you in the mobile Firefox app. The same function can be repeated in reverse, and is supported by PCs and Android smartphones as well. Firefox also ensured that Send Tabs is encrypted end-to-end, so "even Mozilla can't decrypt it."

The last new feature is coming to the United States first and aims to make filling out address forms easier, allowing you to complete online forms on shopping sites and relief organizations through a dropdown menu.

After you fill out the relevant information once on Firefox, the browser will ask to automatically save the field information to "Saved Addresses," which will then resurface when another website asks for similar data. You can save multiple addresses, which Firefox said should be useful for information like where you work, your home, and addresses of family members when you send gifts.

These updates are available in the latest version of Firefox, which you can download now from the Firefox website.

Article Link: Firefox Updated With Screenshot Feature, Cross-Platform Tab Delivery, and Form Autofilling

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
No entire page screenshot :(

Can't believe Safari doesn't have this either.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Although not a big deal on the Mac - it's already x64, the big deal on the Windows side is that they're upgrading alot of their Windows x64 users to the 64bit version of Firefox with this release...previously it was always the 32 bit version by default.

Still use Firefox and Safari in my Mac.

Not sure if you had an invisible /s at the end there, but its doesn't look any different from 55. 57 (next version in Nov) will throw the Firefox UI (and old plugins) under the bus and drop the search bar though.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
....no one cares about Firefox, it died in like 2009, let it rest
I have lots of customers (I’m a computer consultant) that use Firefox.

Safari, IE and Edge probably get used the most since they are native and come with their respective OS’s.

For alternative browsers Chrome probably does get used more on average, I think, but I still have plenty of customers and relatives that use Firefox.

I have them all installed for testing and such, and I use it occasionally. I’ll certainly give the new Quantum version a try.

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
....no one cares about Firefox, it died in like 2009, let it rest

You forgot to tell us how much Chrome is great and how much you love it...that's the standard response that must be accompanied to any FF hate, please stick to the protocol.

Reactions: shinji

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
You don't know many browsers if you think that's only one.

So what are a few non corporate browsers that people actually use? Opera? Dolphin? Brave? You get beyond Chrome, Edge/I.E. and Safari (all commercial products) then Firefox is probably the only remaining browser most people have heard of, let alone used.

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015

You'd think they would know this is basically the ONLY reason why anyone would want the feature... My god, how dumb some of these developers are. As if to assume there's no standard screenshot feature built into the OS already.

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
Wrong. I care. FF is the only non-corporate, trustworthy browser. Especially for Windows. Plus they invest in a lot of pro-Internet advocacy.

I get that, but Firefox just feels so clunky. There isn't even a two finger zoom trackpad gesture on it. Having to do Command +/- makes me feels like it's 2005.

nvmls

Suspended
Mar 31, 2011
You'd think they would know this is basically the ONLY reason why anyone would want the feature... My god, how dumb some of these developers are. As if to assume there's no standard screenshot feature built into the OS already.

I agree sadly, however on dev's defense, version 57 is a significant improvement. The screenshot feature as it is, it's just bloat. Another useful feature aside from full screen shots, if they are going to have a resizable selection option, would be to display pixel dimensions as well (as the native macOS one).

msteele

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2017

Can't believe Safari doesn't have this either.
Actually it does do entire page screenshots! You can click and drag to cover the entire page and then save it. I've been using this feature in beta mode for a while. However it would be better to just have a button that captures the entire page.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
As if to assume there's no standard screenshot feature built into the OS already.
Another useful feature aside from full screen shots, if they are going to have a resizable selection option, would be to display pixel dimensions as well (as the native macOS one).

I'm using the latest 57 beta that will come out in November. It has a full page screenshot feature (and shows pixel dimensions for free size screenshots). At first sight the screenshot feature looks like a gimmick, but it's actually useful. You can also extract background image from any page just with a right-click, a nifty feature. Also it's much faster than previous Firefox releases. Overall, while the UI isn't as slick as Safari's one, the user experience feels better than Safari, I like it.

57 (next version in Nov) will throw the Firefox UI (and old plugins) under the bus and drop the search bar though.

Search bar is still there.

mkeeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
If it would just stop slowing my system down so much. This latest version was supposed to speed up browsing. Nope...

No it's dreadfully slow on my mid 2014 macbook. Almost unusable when you compare it to safari or anything else come to that. On my hack it's just about OK with its extra oomph.
[doublepost=1506720928][/doublepost]
So what are a few non corporate browsers that people actually use? Opera? Dolphin? Brave? You get beyond Chrome, Edge/I.E. and Safari (all commercial products) then Firefox is probably the only remaining browser most people have heard of, let alone used.

Are you saying brave, vivaldi etc are corporate browsers that you can't trust unlike ff? News to me and I'd image them. Vivaldi especially is getting a very decent following and I'd imagine when ff users find a chunk of their extensions no longer work they'll grab quite a few more.

Also one of the big things about ff was they manually reviewed extensions so didn't have the problems that often popup with rogue chrome ones. That's now changed and in the first instance it's now also an automated process, and guess what the first extensions with hidden miners have just been found

Last edited:
Reactions: PinkyMacGodess
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.