Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sturm375

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2002
Bakersfield, CA
I have a Powerbook Ti 500 MHz, and all of a sudden the firewire doesn't work properly. I have 2 firewire devices I use regularly. One external hard drive, and one external CD-RW. When I attach the Hard Drive, I see the light on it light up, and here it spin, but it doesn't mount. When I attach the CD-RW, it locks the screen. The mouse curser sill moves, but nothing reacts. The Dock doesn't come up, the apple menu doesn't show, and even the Apple 3 finger solute doesn't work. All works fine as soon as I unplug the devices.

I am at a loss. Is there any way I can "reset" the preferences in OS X to fix this?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Without knowing what brand devices you are using, I would suggest attaching them before you boot the computer. I know that QPS suggests that when using their burners.

What kind of hard drive are you using?? Is it one with a 3.5" drive or a slim drive (2.5", bus powered)??

sturm375

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2002
Bakersfield, CA
CD-RW: Iomega Predator w/ 1394 add-on
HD: 2.5" Bus Powered, enclosure from http://www.powerbook1.com

If I boot with the CD-RW attached, it stalls at the blue screen with the colered pinwheel spinning.

Booting with the HD attached does not stall the computer, but it does not produce any results.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
If you are not using OS X 10.1.4, download it. As well as any/all updates. If you are not on a high speed connection, get ready for some longish download time. Do it anyway.

I guess you haven't heard about how crappy iomega burners are... I almost feel sorry for you, but you did buy it.

I'd seriously suggest zapping the PRAM on the laptop (let it chime up to three times). You can also reset the PMU (little reset button on the back of the laptop) and see if those help.

If you have Applecare on the laptop, call Apple. If you don't, call them anyway. I doubt it is an issue with the TiBook, but it could be.

sturm375

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2002
Bakersfield, CA
No luck on reseting the PRAM, or using the button in the back. Doing some more testing, I have found 3 total firewire devices that are not being detected by my PB. The two I mentioned before, an another enclosure, this one is for a full size 5 1/4" drive bay, which I have a CD-RW in. It is manufactured by ADS? Also known as Pyro.

Also of note, none of these devices are being detected in OS 9.2.2. I do have the most recent OS X, and OS 9 updates. Is it still viable to purchase Applecare for this computer, I purchased it last Sep/Oct?

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
He just said that it wasn't working in OS 9 either... but did you physically boot into OS 9 or just try to get them to be recognized through Classic? If you haven't, try booting under OS 9 and then check the System Profiler.

If they still don't show up, it sounds like it definitely could be a hardware FireWire issue. Is you PB still under warranty?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by sturm375
No luck on reseting the PRAM, or using the button in the back. Doing some more testing, I have found 3 total firewire devices that are not being detected by my PB. The two I mentioned before, an another enclosure, this one is for a full size 5 1/4" drive bay, which I have a CD-RW in. It is manufactured by ADS? Also known as Pyro.

Also of note, none of these devices are being detected in OS 9.2.2. I do have the most recent OS X, and OS 9 updates. Is it still viable to purchase Applecare for this computer, I purchased it last Sep/Oct?

You can get the Applecare as long as it is still under the original 1 year warranty. If it is out of that, dude, you are screwed, glued and tattooed :D. It could be rather expensive to fix the computer without either the 1 year warranty or Applecare. Think of it this way, for Apple to replace the motherboard (which sounds like it could be the issue) it will cost about $800, with Applecare, it costs $0. Personally, I will be picking up an Applecare plan on my rev. c TiBook before the end of this year, so that I am within my 1 year span. Yes, it costs abotu $350 (you can get it online too) but it pays for itself with just one repair.

sturm375

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2002
Bakersfield, CA
Originally posted by Hemingray
He just said that it wasn't working in OS 9 either... but did you physically boot into OS 9 or just try to get them to be recognized through Classic? If you haven't, try booting under OS 9 and then check the System Profiler.

If they still don't show up, it sounds like it definitely could be a hardware FireWire issue. Is you PB still under warranty?

Actually booted into OS 9. I have had it less than a year, so I guess it is still covered. Makes me wonder if it might be a good idea to spring for the $350 for the Applecare program to extend the warranty?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA

Actually booted into OS 9. I have had it less than a year, so I guess it is still covered. Makes me wonder if it might be a good idea to spring for the $350 for the Applecare program to extend the warranty?

ummmm... in two words.. "HELL YES!" Oh, and call Apple TODAY to report the problem. THAT way you will ensure that it is covered. If it is something that they need to have the laptop to fix (most of the laptop issues fall under that category) they will send you an Airborne Express box. You follow the instructions, pack up your TiBook, call Airborne for a pickup and away it goes. Apple gets it the next day, work on it, and you will probably have it the following business day (unless they are waiting for parts).

At least that is how fast it all happens in the US... other countries repair times are subject to delays and such. :D

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA

exactly the reason why bought it for my Ti...I have a Rev. A as well...500....and it's never been subject to any of the typical problems that most people encountered....I'm a bit freaked out by it to be honest....but now I have the extra 2 years...which sets my mind at ease...:D

sturm375

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2002
Bakersfield, CA
1 Week

Last Monday, I reported the problem to Apple, after some troubleshooting, they sent a dispatch. Late Tue. I got the box, and Wed. I sent it out. Today I got my PB back, working good as new. They replaced (I assume) the main logic board, and the firewire is working great.

Thanks all for your help and opinions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.