Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
I just got my new 80 gig iPod. It's great, but MAN I hate going to USB. It is SOOOOO slow! I just don't understand why Apple got rid of firewire support for the new iPods. It takes forever to transfer 3000+ songs onto my iPod. I have no idea how long it's going to take a movie!

Anyway, just wanted to throw my opinion out there. I know USB 2.0 is supposed to be faster on paper, but when used it's not. I fell in love with the firewire when I bought my 3rd gen iPod and going to USB is rough.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
its not really all that much slower. maybe 20% if that. so instead of 5min its 6.5mins. and its not like your going to be transfering your entire collection all that much. but still, why apple did you shoot yourself in the foot with that? i love firewire.

PerfectlyFlawed

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2006
awe I hate that too. I've been trying to track down a 60gb photo for firewire support. I have a 5G now, usb 2.0 really is slow. I timed a transfer with a friends photo and transfered 1.5 GB. same files for usb and firewire.
firewire took 1:05 USB took 4 minutes exactly.

yeah I think firewire is quite a bit quicker.

frozencarbonite

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
zwida said:
What kind of Mac are you using? Are you sure your machine supports USB 2?
I have a 17" Powerbook G4 1.5 Gig. I got it the summer of 2004. I know it has 2.0 on it.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
frozencarbonite said:
I just got my new 80 gig iPod. It's great, but MAN I hate going to USB. It is SOOOOO slow! I just don't understand why Apple got rid of firewire support for the new iPods. It takes forever to transfer 3000+ songs onto my iPod. I have no idea how long it's going to take a movie!

Anyway, just wanted to throw my opinion out there. I know USB 2.0 is supposed to be faster on paper, but when used it's not. I fell in love with the firewire when I bought my 3rd gen iPod and going to USB is rough.

Apple got rid of the FW on the Ipods to save money. Now 1 ipod type (USB) serves 2 platforms (windoze & mac).

nutman

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
xlii said:
Apple got rid of the FW on the Ipods to save money. Now 1 ipod type (USB) serves 2 platforms (windoze & mac).

my six year old sony winbox has firewire....

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
So what?

nutman said:
my six year old sony winbox has firewire....

Congrats, most PCs don't.

Apple got rid of Firewire support for two reasons...

1. Firewire requires its own bus, so if they wanted to include firewire, they would have had to make the iPod thicker.

2. Most PCs do NOT have firewire, but semi-new ones have USB 2.0 and, since the PC market is quite a bit bigger than any other, Apple made a sound financial decision here.

To the poster...sure, it takes a bit for the FIRST transfer, but after that, it's not bad. It's noticeably slower than Firewire, but I'll take the reduced size any day.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
my g3 ibook does not have usb 2 and it is literally taking about 9 hours to transfer my library.

is there any sort of outboard cable connected firewire card that has usb 2 plugs?

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Nope

howard said:
my g3 ibook does not have usb 2 and it is literally taking about 9 hours to transfer my library.

is there any sort of outboard cable connected firewire card that has usb 2 plugs?

Nope, doesn't exist.

At least it won't take that long EVERY time!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.