Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Urban Toronto reports that it has received information indicating that Apple has reached an agreement to occupy 1 Bloor Street West in Toronto, potentially signaling plans for a major new flagship store in the heart of one of Toronto's major commercial districts.

stollerys_bloor_toronto.jpg

Stollery's clothing store at 1 Bloor Street West in Toronto

The space is currently occupied by Stollery's, a 30,000 square-foot clothing store. It is unclear how Apple would choose to reconfigure the space for its own uses, but the potential for a large flagship store is certainly present at this key location.

Apple had previously been rumored to be looking to occupy retail space in an 80-story tower planned for 1 Bloor Street East, directly across Yonge Street from the newly-rumored location, but the tower project stalled amid financing concerns. A plan for 1 Bloor East has been resurrected by a new developer working on a 65-story condominium tower, but it appears that Apple has now pursued alternate plans for its forthcoming store.

Article Link: Flagship Apple Retail Store Coming to Toronto's Bloor Street?

Last edited:

BiigBiscuit

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Looks like my wish will be granted. Toronto could use a new Apple Store.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
...I also thought Apple would take over the HMV @ Robson and Burrard in Vancouver! that would be sweet. Three floors of Apple goodies!!!

Hope the Toronto one pans out!

nickelt

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

But wheres the home button???

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
That condo project has been messed up for years haha. I was walking by Yonge and Bloor the other day. They finally dug up the hole for the foundation.

I definitely prefer Apple putting a store in this location instead of in the condo tower. It should be more on it's own.

This is going to be an awesome addition to the area.

canadan

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Please god let this happen!

bketchum

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2003
Grand Portage, Minnesota
1 Bloor Street West needs a lot of work. I hope they do something about the glass on the third floor. The hoarding on top is pretty unsightly, too. I wonder if Apple will sign a long-term agreement with the ad company to have only Apple billboard ads on the roof.

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Great location. For those not familiar with Toronto, this is located at the main North/South East/West subway interchange. Busiest location in Toronto. And, located on Toronto's "5th Avenue" - at least for 3 blocks. Must be the most expensive real estate in Canada.

Starbucks and Tim Hortons 50 metres North. Perfect.

webitorgal

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011

Great location. For those not familiar with Toronto, this is located at the main North/South East/West subway interchange. Busiest location in Toronto. And, located on Toronto's "5th Avenue" - at least for 3 blocks. Must be the most expensive real estate in Canada.

Starbucks and Tim Hortons 50 metres North. Perfect.

There are probably 8-10 Starbucks locations within a 10 minute walking distance. Just saying :)

If this is true, I'm happy that it's going to be at that location. Stollery's is getting a little tired and out of place.

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
1 Bloor Street West needs a lot of work. I hope they do something about the glass on the third floor. The hoarding on top is pretty unsightly, too. I wonder if Apple will sign a long-term agreement with the ad company to have only Apple billboard ads on the roof.
My guess is that they'll rip off the ad hoarding and the brown glass. There's no way Apple would let it ruin the aesthetics of their flagship store. While it would be nice to get a glass store, the original building may be worth saving and restoring, so we could get a Regent Street style store.

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010

Hard to know if the store manager would know. Time for a change at the corner - been to Stollery's a few times and it is time for them to move on. Just like the Britnell's book store that was on Yonge 50 metres north since 1927 - finally gave up the book business about 10 years ago and now a Starbucks

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
My guess is that they'll rip off the ad hoarding and the brown glass. There's no way Apple would let it ruin the aesthetics of their flagship store. While it would be nice to get a glass store, the original building may be worth saving and restoring, so we could get a Regent Street style store.

The bronze glass is hideous and the ad hoarding could be great ad space for Apple. Maybe they could build a glass cube up there?

mac26

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
There are probably 8-10 Starbucks locations within a 10 minute walking distance. Just saying :)

If this is true, I'm happy that it's going to be at that location. Stollery's is getting a little tired and out of place.

then they'll be double the tim hortons in the same area! I :apple: being Canadian, EH?

I hope we get a Flagship in Toronto, then I'll have an even better place to camp out for when I get the next iPhone 5 this summer :D

webitorgal

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2011
then they'll be double the tim hortons in the same area! I :apple: being Canadian, EH?

I hope we get a Flagship in Toronto, then I'll have an even better place to camp out for when I get the next iPhone 5 this summer :D

Can't compare Starbucks to Tims. Different market. Starbucks is to Second Cup or Timothy's World Coffee, though.

To make it on topic: If this is true, there's almost no way it would be ready in time for the iPhone 5 launch.

mac26

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2011
Can't compare Starbucks to Tims. Different market. Starbucks is to Second Cup or Timothy's World Coffee, though.

To make it on topic: If this is true, there's almost no way it would be ready in time for the iPhone 5 launch.

OK fine, iPad 4 :D I got me a tim card, a sleeping bag and my MacBook, Lets go camp out at the iPad 4 launch together, don't worry about the cold, we'll cuddle up with my polar bear ;)

tienathlon

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2010

I'll be the first line up for t shirt.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
Wow. That's across the street from me. I was just looking out of the window. What a surreal thing to see it on Macrumors!

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto
This is EXACTLY what Yonge & Bloor needs. It's a Heritage building so the façade will remain intact, but Stollery's is a terrible store run by terrible people.

Bloor West and Yorkville need a revitalization in the absolute WORST way. This will be a good start.

Very glad they're not going in 1 Bloor East as well. That corner is going to be AMAZING when that tower finally goes up.

Now all we have to do is tear down Cumberland Terrace and replace it with something other than a factory-second 1970s pre-fab strip mall and we're golden :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.