Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Canada's most populous city may eventually be home to a flagship Apple retail store at one of its busiest intersections.

The-One-Condo-800x480.jpeg
A render of what The One will look like upon completion

MacRumors has learned that Apple has been labeled in a planning document for The One, a massive 85-floor condominium under construction at the corner of Yonge Street and Bloor Street in Toronto. The architecture firm behind the project, Foster + Partners, has partnered with Apple on numerous occasions.

apple-yonge-bloor-blueprint-1-800x278.jpg
The One's architectural plan

The plans outline a proposed triple-height, 9,000-plus-square-foot retail store with space for a riser to the ceiling, suggesting the store could have a cantilevered balcony like Apple's flagship Union Square location in San Francisco. The store's large glass entrance would open up to the sidewalk facing Bloor Street.

apple-union-square-balcony-800x533.jpg
Apple Union Square in San Francisco

While the blueprints were submitted to the City of Toronto in March 2016, eagle-eyed MacRumors reader and Toronto resident Pedro Marques noticed the document has been updated, and it appears Apple was labeled at a later date.

Apple has yet to announce any plans to open a flagship store in Toronto, but rumors about the company setting up shop at Yonge and Bloor date back to at least 2012. The planning document is the first concrete evidence we've seen beyond subtle hints from builder Mizrahi Developments.

Apple would be one of several retailers at the base of the condominium, and the store could also have an entrance in Toronto's PATH, a series of underground hallways that connect downtown offices, stores, and subway stations.

Despite being mentioned in the planning document, there is no guarantee that Apple has finalized a lease to occupy The One. A few years ago, an anonymous tipster informed MacRumors that Apple was considering pulling out of the project given delays, pushback from some local residents, and other issues.

Toronto has four existing Apple retail stores at Eaton Centre, Fairview Mall, Sherway Gardens, and Yorkdale, but all of them are within shopping malls, and only one is located in the downtown core.

A large, street-facing Apple store has been long desired in Toronto, and within two to four years, it may finally be a reality. The One is expected to be finished by early 2020, although Foster + Partners still lists a 2022 completion date.

Article Link: Flagship Apple Store Possibly Still Planned at Yonge-Bloor in Toronto

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepIn2U

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The Eaton Centre Store has become an embarrassment for Apple. It was built at a time when the iPod was Apple’s most popular product and Macs were used by fewer than 10% of people. It wasn’t built for a ubiquitous Apple, specially in a booming city the size of Toronto. It’s about time Toronto gets a proper flagship.

Last edited:

rpat701

macrumors regular
May 25, 2016
Does Apple really need to continue to open these ridiculously extravagant stores in expensive locations? I mean I understand keeping up an image; but at this point, who doesn't know Apple's image in the civilized world?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I’m moving to a new city where the closest Apple Store is about an hour away. Currently, I’m 10 minutes from one. Almost didn’t want to move just because of the Apple Store situation.

Reactions: Gregg Thurman

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
The Eaton Centre Store has become an embarrassment for Apple. It was built at a time when the iPod was Apple’s most popular product and Macs were used by fewer than 10% of people. It wasn’t built for a ubiquitous Apple, specially in a booming city the size of Toronto. It’s about time Toronto gets a proper flagship.

Yes the Eaton Centre one is a disgrace, bloody tiny serving the entire downtown and east.

Fine open up another one downtown, but why haven't they opened up one in the east end, in the Scarborough Town Centre?

SCT has renovated and improved its image quite a bit from the run down dump it was just 5 years ago.

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
Does Apple really need to continue to open these ridiculously extravagant stores in expensive locations? I mean I understand keeping up an image; but at this point, who doesn't know Apple's image in the civilized world?

And that's how they maintain their image. It's a constant effort. They can't just say, "We're huge so we're all good now."

Reactions: pianophile

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

AFAIK these so called "ridiculously extravagant stores in expensive locations" bring in the most cash, they bring in much more money than they cost.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
THAT right there is dedication to a brand.
Maybe not dedication so much as convenience. Bit of a pain to drive an hour to have an iPad or iPhone repaired/exchanged whereas currently it’s quite easy. 4 iPads and 5 iPhones in my household - not to mention 4 MacBooks and two iMacs, so a near-by store is a great convenience.

Reactions: imageWIS

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
This can't come soon enough. The Eaton Centre location is completely inadequate for a downtown core of millions of people. It's no bigger than your typical suburban mall location. Even Samsung built themselves a garish flagship store downtown.

Yes the Eaton Centre one is a disgrace, bloody tiny serving the entire downtown and east.

Fine open up another one downtown, but why haven't they opened up one in the east end, in the Scarborough Town Centre?

SCT has renovated and improved its image quite a bit from the run down dump it was just 5 years ago.
STC would be an excellent location for a store, but they could be trying to avoid the stigma that still lurks over Scarborough.

Reactions: V.K.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I wish Apple would build a proper stand alone flagship in Toronto, not one in the base of a tower.

I’ve considered Where they could build one downtown and we’re really short on space. It would have to be in a privately owned plaza like Apple Fifth Avenue. TD Centre provides a good space for that. Or they could build it on the waterfront like Chicago’s new waterfront store. But unlike Chicago, our waterfront is still very low density and is pretty much dead in the winter.

For retail prime real estate, it literally does not get better than Yonge and Bloor. On top of where 2 subways intersect, at both of Toronto’s most popular streets, and in Yorkville, the high end retail district. I think it’s the perfect spot.

Last edited:

Gregg Thurman

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009

The "ridiculously extravagant" nature of Apple Stores make them shopping/tourist destinations.

As long as Apple generates more retail revenue per square foot than anybody else in the world, the answer to your question is a resounding YES.

jhuynh

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Nice to see a flagship store within 2 driving hours of Buffalo. This will be nice to check out when it opens.

I'm just curious what they would have at an "flagship" Apple store to make you drive 2 hours to see it vs a regular Apple store that's already in Buffalo?

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Agreed! Apple NEEDS a much larger, 2-storey retail space in Toronto. In comparison to Eaton Centre and Fairview Mall, close to where I live, I'd say each are very close in size, yet the traffic in Eaton Centre is just ridiculous.

I find the early "leaked" report of push back by The One condominium residents/potential residents (I'm unsure if anyone has fully moved in yet as it's still under construction on the south side). Most likely those residents use an iPhone and Mac products.

Apple needs that open learning space now being built into new stores. Someone mentioned a stand-alone retail space ... which is a good idea (owning the property) yet where in Toronto would have the best location to reach all consumers that drive or take public transit that is easy to know and get to in all seasons?

Are you smoking something? STC ... the one mall in the entire GTA that has a resident Police Station within it due to many reasons: Theft & Violence amongst teens over 12yrs now. No ... STC would be a horrible location! The retail price would be cheap of course but the traffic doesn't do any better than Fairview mall. Far too many authorized retailers there along with Telus Mobility Toronto HQ just across the street as well. The location is NOT easy to get to via public transit ... not that TTT-RT which is slow as molasses and carries less than half the people in a regular TTC subway car. Highway exit and entrance into the mall is the worst design in the entire city as well.

Maybe after Metrolinx replaces that whole rail in about 8yrs.

I wish Apple would build a proper stand alone flagship in Toronto, not one in the base of a tower.

Too expensive and proper location would be the key to keeping this from happening.

This can't come soon enough. The Eaton Centre location is completely inadequate for a downtown core of millions of people. It's no bigger than your typical suburban mall location. Even Samsung built themselves a garish flagship store downtown.

STC would be an excellent location for a store, but they could be trying to avoid the stigma that still lurks over Scarborough.

STC ... yeah right. It's at the edge of the main Toronto location, Highway exit is horrible especially during rush hours which lasts for hours btw. Scarborough's TTC RT is a joke for transport (is not to be replaced by Metrolinx for another 8yrs). Not to mention the reasons for an in-mall dedicated Toronto Police station - the only Mall in Toronto to have one. STC is a bad location.

Yorkdale Mall is being rebuilt along with an entire new neighborhood being built up with Condo's and Townhomes around it. Although the Allen Rd is overly congested it's small and is NOT the only highway to reach it. 2 exists from 401 heading Eastbound to get to the mall (directly or from Dufferin), 1 exit from Allen Rd (North/South), and another from 401 West. There is also Dufferin and Wilson Streets that can reach the mall, It's not too far West and there is Go Transit and TTC terminal connected to the Mall ... not to mention the new extension for TTC up to Hwy 7! It's a great location HUGE parking lot that equals STC's size and large walkways. Since Yorkdale is being rebuilt all over Apple has a very unique opportunity to increase the current store there - even relocate it.

That are of the city is scarce for library's as well so the new Apple Today learning would have a huge impact amongst youth and other consumers.

The One at Yonge & Bloor although a great location to the North PATH walkway (which is very limited and does NOT connect to the larger downtown PATH), and on the North/South/East/West TTC Subway Line 1 & 2 ... parking, traffic on the main streets or coming off the DVP is a horrible nightmare. Actually Parking which is just south of The One may not be there for much longer and is VERY small!

I hope Apple bails from this location ... the condo's there are ridiculously priced as well.

Yorkdale Mall is the best location:
Parking
Location - Public Transit (soon to be 2 major East/West subway railways to get there, and on the main West North Line 1), 5 Bus routes can get you there, if not more.
Advantage larger retail space with more customization leeway.

Reactions: Gregg Thurman

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Good news. The Eaton Centre store is way too small and always overcrowded. But it seems this is still some years off. What exactly is the time frame on this. 3 years? 5 years? I don't understand from the article.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
Isn't this a bit close to the Eaton Centre? Why not move to a larger location within that, at the street level, as close to the square as possible? Certainly the H&M fad is over with, give them the boot.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Isn't this a bit close to the Eaton Centre? Why not move to a larger location within that, at the street level, as close to the square as possible? Certainly the H&M fad is over with, give them the boot.

H&M LMAO ... agreed.

On other news ... Samsung has a store in the Eaton Centre as well: https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/01/04/inside-samsungs-newest-store-at-torontos-eaton-centre/

Quite possibly Apple will move from the Eaton Center yet I fear large corporations that have Apple products will require the business team for rapid exchanges. I also vote for larger space in Eaton Centre or at Yorkdale. Eaton Centre may have larger store space on the street site of Yonge/Queen - if Roots gives up their location that would be perfect!

dennis laska

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2015

Will a new flagship store keep the canadians frome coming to the US? They come by the droves to the Apple store at the Galleria Mall just outside Buffalo.

Gregg Thurman

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
I’m moving to a new city where the closest Apple Store is about an hour away. Currently, I’m 10 minutes from one. Almost didn’t want to move just because of the Apple Store situation.

I'm 10 minutes away from my Apple Store with no plans to move (I'm retired).

Something the critics may be unaware of, but for the last 25 years or so, millennials and baby boomer retirees have been taking up residence in core downtown areas where high end shopping, dining and entertainment (including a 21 screen theater) are within easy walking distance.

In Spokane Washington (metro pop: ~500,000) the former Macy's building is being converted to an 11 story luxury apartment complex. The Ridpath, a classic multi-story hotel, is being converted as well. They will join about 3,000 downtown apartment/condo conversions.

Since the 1970s Spokane's downtown (circa 1900) has been revitalized by a 200 acre riverside park, upscale shopping mall and dining, with a new 20,000 seat arena (with professional arena football, hockey and major "Star" attractions) and a convention center. Two 1920s theaters have been renovated and become civic opera/thespian venues. All within a 10 square block area adjacent to the Spokane river. Located on the periphery of the downtown are 3 university campuses (Gonzaga, Washington State and Eastern Washington State).

Empty/unused multi-story commercial buildings from the early 1900s are being converted to residential use.

My point to all of the above is that the Spokane Apple Store is the second highest grossing Store in Washington. It is located in a downtown demographic with an above average revenue.

Noting where Apple is locating its Stores I believe Apple is addressing this migration (by millennials and retirees) from the outskirts of town to city centers. Could this migration be behind the relabelling of Apple Stores to Apple Town Squares with a more open, spacious design?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.