Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marlman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
I am an ageing enthusiastic dog walker so I was excited to get Apples health app. Was looking forward to seeing how many steps and miles I walked each day.

But after installing iOS8 I was so disappointed Apple seem to think we all have the eyesight of a 16 yr old and can see the tiny fonts. Also Apple seem to think we here in the UK use Kilometres we don't we use MILES!

I saw the app Steps + recommended somewhere in this forum so I thought I would try it.

Its perfect for me shows the number of daily steps in a nice big font, it also shows the distance in miles.

I would recommend it anyone who has a 5s, 6 or 6+ and even better its FREE.

To me it looks more suitable for iOS8 than Apples effort!

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Thanks for sharing. Do you have a link? Can't seem to find it in the store.

I personally use Breeze.

Health is really meant to be used with multiple apps. I'm sure they're going to have a huge revamp version for iOS 9 to match the Apple Watch, but for now that's what they're giving us.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
There is a way to change from Kilometers to Miles and vice versa, though at the minute I cannot remember where that option is, and I do not have the time to look it up at this moment. Possibly under the "Maps" settings in "Settings.

Also, you can turn up the font size in Settings----->Display & Brightness.

Use Google and search for how to change distance settings.

Hope this helped, some.

:apple:

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
OP has found how to set units, but as he said, Apple has programmed in metric for UK. BTW: The setting is Settings > General > Language & Region > Region.

Only work around I can think of is to see if one of the UK territories are set for miles.

marlman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2012
Yes the maps setting is miles but the health app uses the region settings.

There is only one option and that is UK

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.