Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Former Apple executive and iOS chief Scott Forstall will make a rare public appearance this week at Code.org's Code Break event. He will appear alongside Grammy Award winning rapper and songwriter Macklemore.

scott-forstall-original-iphone.jpg
Forstall was Apple's Vice President of iOS from 2007 until 2012

Described as the "world's largest live interactive classroom," Code Break aims to engage with computer science students during the ongoing stay-at-home measures, and features weekly computer science challenges for students of all abilities, even those without computers.

Forstall was reportedly ousted from Apple in October 2012, following the botched launch of Apple Maps. Forstall has maintained a quiet presence since then, although he did sit down with journalist John Markoff for an interview at the Computer History Museum in June 2017. Otherwise his main focus has been Broadway production.

Anyone interested can sign up at the Code.org website, which has more information about the event. The Code Break stream is live every Wednesday at 10.00 a.m. Pacific Time / 1.00 p.m. Eastern Time.

Update: The full video is now available to watch.

Article Link: Former iOS Chief Scott Forstall to Attend Virtual Coding Event This Week [Updated]

Last edited:

insomniac86

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2015
Perth, Western Australia
Forstall's fetish for skeuomorphism went too far...

View attachment 916589
View attachment 916588

At least it was creative. I still prefer it over the mess of UI inconsistency today. Each to their own though.
[automerge]1589885373[/automerge]
...Of what? Didn’t he singly almost destroy Apple Maps?
It was ****** TomTom data that was the issue, he was kicked for not publicly saying sorry. But like why should he? It wasn't his call to ditch Google Maps.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Good. He can explain what happened when he was apparently advising the Snapchat developers. Was he responsible for their bad UI or did they not listen to him? I’m thinking the latter.

Wasn’t Forstall part of the core development OS team for Snapchat? I don’t think he was just an ‘advisor’, I believe he was literally a ‘lead developer’. Seems Broadway might be a better fit for Him.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: na1577

DinkThifferent

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2018
The Netherlands
Did you never use iOS 6?
Top images are when you delete a wallet pass.
Bottom image is the Podcast app.

I did but passbook was basically useless in The Netherlands back then and unfortunately still is today, except for Apple pay and the occasional boarding pass (remember that time there were these things called airplanes in the sky??).

I didn't listen to podcasts back then so i guess that explains why i didn't see it on my iPhone. The shredding looks kinda dumb, but i like the tape recorder.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
At least it was creative. I still prefer it over the mess of UI inconsistency today. Each to their own though.
[automerge]1589885373[/automerge]

I agree... The flat design is boring and less interesting. The skeuomorphism should have been toned down a bit but I think it was essentially a good thing and it made iOS special. I've never really taken to it since.

I wonder what iOS would have been like now if they had kept Scott in charge of UX and left Jony to do only hardware design. I bet it would have been a lot more interesting.

The flat design worked really well for Android because before Material Design that was basically a cluster**** of different design paradigms. It was simply better because it had a design direction at all :) But iOS before version 7 was more human and more engaging IMO.

smythey

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2007
Scotland
Macklemore’s moustache is a problem.
Perhaps his shaver ran out of battery mid-groom.

On-topic - this should be interesting, will check out the live stream

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
iOS 6 had the best music player on my iPhone 5. It allowed you to view large album artwork in your music library. The current music player shrinks your album artwork 50% and adds a childish animation by pausing turns smaller artwork and playing shows larger artwork but the larger is only 50% of what it use to be in iOS 6 music player.

I switched to Cs Music Player in the App Store which reminds me of how wonderful iOS 6 music player use to look and feel. Plus it has a dark mode.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Skeuomorphism did go too far, but the reaction afterwards went too far the other way. Irrespective of the graphics, the usability was much better when Scott Forstall was involved. It was more consistent, and logical. More features have been added since then, but there is still no reason for going away from making actions obvious. All the hidden stuff can be there to make things quicker for power-users, but it should still be easy and consistent for everyone who doesn't want to remember which non-obvious bit you have to tap or hold.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.