Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yakshay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2008
Hey... i wanted to know to know whether there is a freegate corresponding version for mac. I want it because in my university they have blocked most of the ports. So i cannot run Ichat, ICal, and other softwares. Any of you know any other software with similar utility ?

Cranberry24

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2008
they have them blocked for a reason AND it's their computer so they can do what they please.........

Thats not quite what he asked for... Who are you to play the moral police?... You're basically saying he can't use iChat, iCal, etc. It's HIS computer and he should be allowed to use the software he PAID for. Does it mean China is doing right by banning half the internet? It's THEIR country and they have the ban for a reason? Thats complete ludicrous, what ever happened to freedom of information?

To the OP, I'll post if I find a solution, atm I'm running FreeGate via BootCamp because my school's wifi has certain legal sites etc blocked as well.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
Thats not quite what he asked for... Who are you to play the moral police?... You're basically saying he can't use iChat, iCal, etc. It's HIS computer and he should be allowed to use the software he PAID for. Does it mean China is doing right by banning half the internet? It's THEIR country and they have the ban for a reason? Thats complete ludicrous, what ever happened to freedom of information?

To the OP, I'll post if I find a solution, atm I'm running FreeGate via BootCamp because my school's wifi has certain legal sites etc blocked as well.

So then I have a question for you then- since the university owns and provides the network services, apparently you feel that they should not have any right to control the usage of the resources they pay for as, they see fit, to protect it as they desire? If you are under the impression that students are entitled to use whatever software they have just because they paid for it you are simply incorrect. If you want to take that to a logical conclusion, the student should consider the school's restriction of usage of the resource as part of the system requirements of the software- as in "System requirements: Mac OSX 10.4 or later and unrestricted internet usage."

When you are out paying for the internet access yourself, do what you will as it will be your choice. Just please don't try to play the "entitled" card when you are using someone else's service. No one is entitled to use my wireless signal if I choose to deny them for instance. They can just head down the road and use a free wifi spot that some have made the choice to offer even though it may differ from my choice. If there is any entitlement involved it is in the hands of the paying party being entitled to make decisions about type of usage.

Salmar

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2007
Florida
You hit the nail on the head sickmacdoc. I completely agree with your analogy. Similar to we should not be telling other countries how to run their governments either.

Cranberry24

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2008
If there is any entitlement involved it is in the hands of the paying party being entitled to make decisions about type of usage.

The student is, in almost every case, a paying party as well... When they sign up for their education, there is almost always a fee included for the "free" internet provided by the school. I'm just saying, I need to check Mail, as that's where my school's mail arrives, but it was blocked, does that make any sense to you? I got someone from my school's HELP DESK to bypass the block on Mail. However, I DO understand that you are not allowed to access any warez sites like rapidsh*re or torrents and what not... If thats the goal of using FreeGate than I agree that the school is 100%, wait, make that 200% correct.

And at least you had the decency to respond in a mature way, instead of just sending people off without discussion, like the first reaction.

(Furthermore I would like to clarify my idea of "legal sites"- I'm a student Graphic Design, I need stock and fonts, however, even certain website containing these resources are blocked, perfectly legal websites that offer royalty free stock and free for use fonts.)

:apple:

mk2b2-sprit

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2010
Tehran,Iran
sorry

Sorry but i really need that free gate for mac i live in Iran there is no such freedom or etc... then i need it
The funny thing is because of huge sites blocking in Iran we have Freegate on our university computers but all of them have windows and i need this proxy in my home to use this ..... internet:confused:
can u please help me ? something to know about Iran
1-word big-bang is filter in iran!!!!
2-word oral is filter my father is dentist imagine he wants to search word oral surgery!
3-facebook is filter but u can see how iranian are active over there
4-youtube and twitter are filter 2
5-i pay for 500Kbs internet sometimes there is no access and i wonder is this speed real because they say the max internet speed for home users in Iran is 128Kbs.

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
There's a reason universities and other institutions restrict the ability to use things like iChat, Microsoft Messenger, certain website - it's to protect THEIR network infrastructure. Although less likely to happen with iChat or iCal, Microsoft Messenger is an open door to hacking. So, universities shut off all IM's.

Get over it.

proudvampire

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2012
well well well

u know guys.. I'm wondering Y u guys always make things so complicated for yourselves :-?? it's a simple question, doesn't require any extra explanation or whatever !! Do we have Freegate for Mac OR NOT !?? It's a YES/NO QUESTION !! if it's a YES, give us the link ! thx

xStreame

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2012
^ post above mine said it.

I live in china as foreigner and I can tell I'd be having a hard time without Freegate since alot of foreign sites are blocked and I can't read a bit of chinese.

So far Wine hasn't been working for me, still forced to use my windows pc

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008

Above is one of the posts I start scratching my head then roll my eyes then a quick chortle. This demand and self entitlement notion is what I expect from people who do not think and certainly not in a place of higher education where common sense should hopefully exist. There is nothing arbitrary about some connections not being made available. There are multiple reasons related to security of "sensitive data," bandwidth issues, attacks on end points and more.

Perhaps it would be good if Universities and such simply gave a reason why some things are shut down not as topics of debate but to at least provide the dim bulb who has tantrums and whines an official "reason" or definition of availability.

I won't go into the heavies of security but do remember, colleges are not handing out "pre set" secure computers to students. Ever student's computer is a potential target for all sorts of virus nasties. The rest is kind of obvious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.