Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brother Michael

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2004
I highly recommend Tiger to G3 iBook (and powerbook) users. It is really snappy and quick on my G3 600 mhz with 8megs of video ram.

Spotlight works fast, Dashboard is fast, all of it.

I know I was apprehensive about getting it for my Mac, even though it claims it is supported, but it is.

That is all I wanted to say.

Mike

LGRW3919

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2005
cupertino (no joke)
Brother Michael said:
I highly recommend Tiger to G3 iBook (and powerbook) users. It is really snappy and quick on my G3 600 mhz with 8megs of video ram.
Mike

awesome thanks for the feedback. if you read my sig then you'll soon realize i'm on a G3 ibook as well and i'm on the fence about tiger. i really wanna move on from jaguar but i'm not sure if its worth the money if i'm going to be getting a Rev B 20" iMac soon, with Tiger on it. We'll see though. It sounds like tiger should be tolerable on this bad boy.

JupiterTwo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2003
GB
I think Tiger runs as quick, if not quicker than Panther in my G3 iBook. Things like Spotlight and Dashboard run great too - go for it - upgrade :p

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
Well, rarely do Apple's operating systems get slower than previous versions, so I'd expect Tiger to run just as fast if not faster than Panther on any hardware. It's good that Apple isn't leaving us G3 Mac owners behind.

Brother Michael

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2004
LGRW3919: if you are running 10.2 I would definitely upgrade. It is worth every single penny.

To the rest: I am amazed by the speed of it too. I would have figured it would have been slower...WRONG!

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Yes, but upgrade the 256MB card under the KB to a 512MB card to get the max 640MB and you'll really run it nice!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Vster, my experience (but with a G4 and more RAM) is that, in typical use, Tiger seems to use up about 64-128 MB more memory than Panther, so that I had to tone down multitasking very slightly (only in the most severe cases...iPhoto and PSE3 running on top of all the usual apps) as a result of Tiger. So if you typically operate with a lot of free RAM available, Tiger will probably be ok without the upgrade, but if you are getting beachballs now, you will get somewhat more with Tiger. But outside of beachballs, it's *definitely* faster for pretty much everything on which it runs.

MacHarne

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Virginia, U.S.A.
Agreed. I've no had issues with Tiger and this machine is faster than ever.

i really wanna move on from jaguar but i'm not sure if its worth the money

Woah! If you are still on Jaguar, you'll likely experience a life-changing world with Tiger. Even with Panther - Expose entirely changed the way you could access programs and that was an enormous leap over Jaguar. However, jumping from Jaguar to Tiger might be so overwhelmingly great that you may explode or something. I'm just warning you...

:)

Brother Michael

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2004
mkrishnan said:
Vster, my experience (but with a G4 and more RAM) is that, in typical use, Tiger seems to use up about 64-128 MB more memory than Panther, so that I had to tone down multitasking very slightly (only in the most severe cases...iPhoto and PSE3 running on top of all the usual apps) as a result of Tiger. So if you typically operate with a lot of free RAM available, Tiger will probably be ok without the upgrade, but if you are getting beachballs now, you will get somewhat more with Tiger. But outside of beachballs, it's *definitely* faster for pretty much everything on which it runs.

Heh, I don't have to worry about that. I am a horrible multi-tasker. I always close everything except for Camino, Adium, iTunes. So memory hasn't been a huge problem for me.

Mike

Brother Michael

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2004
Vster said:
Do you think it would run good on a G3 iBook 700 with 384 MB ram?

It should be ok. I have Mail, Adium, Camino and iTunes open and I am only using 191megs of RAM.

A side note, I loaded up Word and started typing and found that it is much more responsive than it was on Panther. I would type something and there would be a 1/2 to 1 second delay between what I typed and what appeared on the screen. It makes proofing on the fly easier.

Mike

EDIT: Expose is also a lot smoother too.

oxjox

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2003
Tigder DVD or CD?

I just got a used iBook 500 on eBay and I want to put Tger on it. I upgraded the hard drive to 60GB, loaded the Tiger DVD in but I'm getting a flashing folder. Wondering if the iBook either needs a firmware update or if I can't use the DVD to install Tiger :( I'm going to try and boot with target disk and see what happens - would appreciate some help though.

matt_randal

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2005
New Zealand
Did you upgrade you HD yourself?

I did a clean install of tiger and it runs great on my G3 800 ibook. Id say better than 10.3(Jaguar/panther....I cant remember!!).

3lions

macrumors member
May 9, 2005
Iowa
would tiger work well on my 400mhz imac running 384mb RAM? I'm kind of doubting it but don't really know.

oxjox

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2003
oxjox said:
I just got a used iBook 500 on eBay and I want to put Tger on it. I upgraded the hard drive to 60GB, loaded the Tiger DVD in but I'm getting a flashing folder. Wondering if the iBook either needs a firmware update or if I can't use the DVD to install Tiger :( I'm going to try and boot with target disk and see what happens - would appreciate some help though.

Target disk worked great :) Installing Linux on it now!
It is a little slow though, but I'm hoping its just because I just installed the new OS - journaling and syncing and whatnot...

jiv3turkey748

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2004
atlanta
3lions said:
would tiger work well on my 400mhz imac running 384mb RAM? I'm kind of doubting it but don't really know.

panther runs ok on my imac 400mhz with 192mb ram it can be slow at times but its not too bad

d_saum

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
NC
Awesome thread!!!! I have a G3 iBook (in sig) and want to install Tiger but was worried it might slow me down, but now I am stoked! Thanks! :D

Widgets....here I come!!!!

mikeytwice

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2005
I have an iBook G3 - what sort of ram do I need to purchase for upgrade? I'm not sure whether it has 128 or 256 - the Tiger install went berserk and now my mac hangs at startup at the grey apple screen. I'd rather not purchase ram from the Apple store as it's rather expensive, but I'd like high-quality ram nevertheless.

d_saum

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
NC
mikeytwice said:
I have an iBook G3 - what sort of ram do I need to purchase for upgrade? I'm not sure whether it has 128 or 256 - the Tiger install went berserk and now my mac hangs at startup at the grey apple screen. I'd rather not purchase ram from the Apple store as it's rather expensive, but I'd like high-quality ram nevertheless.

what speed is your g3? I would check pricewatch for a good deal (just be sure to check the reviews of the vendor). Dont know what happened to your install. Did it give you an error message?

I have a 700Mhz iBook with 640MB ram. This is what I added from pricewatch:
Size: 512 MB
Type: SDRAM
Speed: PC133U-333

mikeytwice

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2005
I'm not sure of the speed offhand. Actually, the computer isn't mine but a friend's, and I'm doing a favor. It should be fast enough, though I don't know if it has enough RAM. I tried formatting the drive and doing a reinstall by booting in target disk mode and installing from a DVD by loading the OSInstall package, and the iBook still hangs. I wish it ran, even if slowly, because then I'd be able to check all the specs...

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I think Tiger runs really well on my Clamshell iBook 366MhZ maxed out with RAM the thing is still a fast capable laptop. Its no G5, but it gets the job done in a pinch.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
If I get external storage for my apps and stuff, do you think tiger would run well on my iBook (considering I'm going to upgrade to 576MB of RAM). I'm kinda scared to install a new hard drive in it, and I think I'll wait 2 months before doing that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.