Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google has announced a significant update for Gboard, bringing new emoji, Google Doodles, voice typing, and additional language support to the iOS keyboard app.

Gboard integrates the company's search capabilities into an iPhone or iPad's keyboard. Using the Google button in Gboard, users can search for information, send what they find, discover GIFs, emojis, and more, without having to exit a messenger app to visit Safari or Chrome.

Screen-Shot-8-800x453.jpg

The update means Gboard now supports all of the latest emoji from iOS 10. Additionally, Google has added subtle alerts about Google Doodles, which frequently animate the Google logo to honor holidays, anniversaries and notable people. Whenever a new Google Doodle goes live, the "G" button animates, prompting users to find out more about it.

Elsewhere, today's update adds voice typing, which allows users to dictate messages directly to Gboard. To start a new text, users can now long-press the mic button on the space bar and talk.

The update also brings 15 additional languages to Gboard, including Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Greek, Polish, Romanian, Swedish, Catalan, Hungarian, Malay, Russian, Latin American Spanish and Turkish.

Gboard is a free download for iPhone and iPad available on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Gboard Update Brings Google Doodle, Voice Typing, iOS 10 Emoji, and Additional Language Support

clipse2d

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2011
Who uses Gboard on iOS, better switch to Android.
[doublepost=1487848958][/doublepost]I don't know why the stock keyboard doesn't have a swype input option. Using the Gboard myself, I would always switch back to the stock keyboard for voice dictation. This update will make things easier for alot of users. Maybe the next update will bring a swype input option for the stock keyboard

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
Too bad it still doesn't have true multilingual typing support like SwiftKey. You have to actually press the globe to change language. After using SwiftKey for years, I can't go back to changing language manually.

iHack13

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
city of octoberfest
Too bad it still doesn't have true multilingual typing support like SwiftKey. You have to actually press the globe to change language. After using SwiftKey for years, I can't go back to changing language manually.

Wow. That doesn't work? I switched to Android and the android Version does support that.

Reactions: JGIGS

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
G board is nice but I swicthed back to stock keyboard as Apple does not allow the 3rd party keyboards while phone is locked.

Reactions: Agit21

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I finally switched now from Swype to Gboard since they added support for Dutch. It's also pretty unique that you can use dictation feature although it uses Google's instead of Apples Siri (not allowed by Apple).
It works much better then Swype untill now as far as predictions are concerned.

Only limitation remain are:
- cannot use Siri with Gboard (only Google's version of it)
- cannot use on lock screen (Apple limitation)
- doesn't have multilanguage typing like Swiftkey, you have to switch between languages

It's great that it can also swype without full access setting on but then you do miss out on the below features though:
- Google search
- GIF search

Oddly enough you can use voice dictation without full acccess.

I also updated the 3rd party keyboard topic just now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Strutten

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
What I find weird and/or mildly annoying is that they started including GBoard in the normal Google app, so I deleted the standalone GBoard, but now that bundled version isn't up-to-date.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
What I find weird and/or mildly annoying is that they started including GBoard in the normal Google app, so I deleted the standalone GBoard, but now that bundled version isn't up-to-date.

I've noticed that as well. The new languages were added a few days ago (16th Feb) to the Google app but now a few days (23rd Feb) later they add those languages to the Gboard app + voice dictation feature. The voice dictation isn't available in the Google app which has Gboard also packed in it.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Had same issue. Kept waiting to see the update and then it occurred to me that I was running it through Google Search. I'm sure they'll update that, but for now, I went with the standalone version.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Had same issue. Kept waiting to see the update and then it occurred to me that I was running it through Google Search. I'm sure they'll update that, but for now, I went with the standalone version.

I had it on the 16th of February when all sites mentioned the update of the Gboard and the languages and then it was the other way around. I had to download Google app and now I'm back at Gboard app to get the latest version (23rd Feb) with voice dictation :)

Cronbo

Suspended
Sep 11, 2016
Google was started with CIA venture capital funds. I would never use ANY google products, SPECIALLY a keyboard which may transmit confidential info to their servers. I don't wanna hear from boot-licking statists and apologists for corporate technocracy. Save it for the compost pile...

Google has announced a significant update for Gboard, bringing new emoji, Google Doodles, voice typing, and additional language support to the iOS keyboard app.

Gboard integrates the company's search capabilities into an iPhone or iPad's keyboard. Using the Google button in Gboard, users can search for information, send what they find, discover GIFs, emojis, and more, without having to exit a messenger app to visit Safari or Chrome.

Screen-Shot-8-800x453.jpg

The update means Gboard now supports all of the latest emoji from iOS 10. Additionally, Google has added subtle alerts about Google Doodles, which frequently animate the Google logo to honor holidays, anniversaries and notable people. Whenever a new Google Doodle goes live, the "G" button animates, prompting users to find out more about it.

Elsewhere, today's update adds voice typing, which allows users to dictate messages directly to Gboard. To start a new text, users can now long-press the mic button on the space bar and talk.

The update also brings 15 additional languages to Gboard, including Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Greek, Polish, Romanian, Swedish, Catalan, Hungarian, Malay, Russian, Latin American Spanish and Turkish.

Gboard is a free download for iPhone and iPad available on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Gboard Update Brings Google Doodle, Voice Typing, iOS 10 Emoji, and Additional Language Support
Google w

Reactions: B60boy

Kagio

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008

What? I thought NO 3rd party keyboard was allowed to receive dictated text, and now ypu say swift even receives it multilingual?

Please confirm

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
What? I thought NO 3rd party keyboard was allowed to receive dictated text, and now ypu say swift even receives it multilingual?

Please confirm

No 3rd party keyboard can use Siri. 3rd party keyboards can use their own voice dictation software so it seems as Gboard now has implemented.

Swiftkey can use multiple languages but that is related to swype typing not voice dictation. I don't think Swiftkey has voice dictation in their iOS app see also their FAQ.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I get that apple wont allow 3rd party keyboards when inputting passwords, but why is it not allowed from the lock screen? I dont get it.

Reactions: tyasjs

imorton

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2010
It would be sooooo much easier if Apple just implemented a "slide/glide" option to their own keyboard. I tried this new Google keyboard, and it is very slow, clunky, and awkward to use compared top Apple keyboard... :(

Come on Apple, implement a glide/swipe/slide style option to yours... PLEASE :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.