Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
GOW on the mac. WOW! I never thought I see the day. Shame the game blows, but hey at least it's a game :D

Is there anyway of getting a 360 pad to work in mac osX I wonder?

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
yikes... with the MBPs as the only line of hardware right now that has DX10 capabilities, Im a bit hesitant on seeing Gears or UT3 on a mac....

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Great news but I'll probably still buy the PC versions to play in bootcamp, I just shudder at the thought of OSX performance and underclocked cards (which can only be OCed under Windows).

icecone

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
yikes... with the MBPs as the only line of hardware right now that has DX10 capabilities, Im a bit hesitant on seeing Gears or UT3 on a mac....
I'm really interested in the differences between the video quality of DX and OpenGL.
I've googled but fail to find any comparison on the quality.:(

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

This is a misconception

DX10 is a list of arbirtury API instructions to the GPU - the mac version will NOT be using DX10 because the mac doesnt support DX10.

The Xbox 360 does not use DX10 for GOW (so why should the mac version be any different) or UT3. The PS3 does not use DX10 for UT3

The hardware can all achieve similar results with or without DX10, by utilising the API development set for that hardware tool.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
This is a misconception

DX10 is a list of arbirtury API instructions to the GPU - the mac version will NOT be using DX10 because the mac doesnt support DX10.

The Xbox 360 does not use DX10 for GOW (so why should the mac version be any different) or UT3. The PS3 does not use DX10 for UT3

The hardware can all achieve similar results with or without DX10, by utilising the API development set for that hardware tool.

icecone, try this link.

Anyway, Epic has been one good developer that has supported the Mac through the years, and have used Open GL anyway, so a port won't/shouldn't be too big of a deal.

Kosh66

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
Great news to hear that UT3 is confirmed for the Mac. We knew it was likely, but's always good to hear that they're actually going to do it.

Interesting to hear that Gears of War is coming to the Mac as well, the PC version was apparently recently announced, so it's nice to see a Mac version coming.

Kosh66

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
You won't pay $60? Do you buy any 360 games then...as they are all $60?

I don't know which one I'll be buying... I'll probably wait for review on the PC/Mac version. But if you buy the Xbox version used, you can probbly get it for $50 or less.

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
You won't pay $60? Do you buy any 360 games then...as they are all $60?

I don't buy many 360 games. You also seem to have mistook my meaning- I personally don't feel that it is worth $60. It'll drop eventually, and when it does I'll pick it up.

I really don't spend much money on video games- hardly any at all, really. Worms and Carcassone are the games I play the most- I haven't bought a game in I don't even know how many months.

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
They put it at Q4 in 2007. But with all games this is probably just an estimated date.

http://www.insidemacgames.com/misc/release_dates.php

This is all excellent news 3 titles announced from EA and now 2 from Epic Games. Anyone know if they are using Cider?

I would say not. Epic have obviously developed different renderers, hence the PS3 version. In fact, I think the only version using DX, is the PC version, though I may be wrong on that. They were always quite good at having plug-in renderers....

Kosh66

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
They put it at Q4 in 2007. But with all games this is probably just an estimated date.

http://www.insidemacgames.com/misc/release_dates.php

This is all excellent news 3 titles announced from EA and now 2 from Epic Games. Anyone know if they are using Cider?

Didn't see this comment last time I reviewed the thread. UT3 will likely be a port to the Mac and not use Cider as the UT3 engine has already been ported to the Mac and Linux by Ryan Gordon.

I'm not sure about Gears of War. Does GOW use the UT3 engine or a different engine? I would assume it would be ported, since most of Epic's games on the Mac are ported.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
Gears of War...this could be huge news for the mac gaming scene. There's no news of this hitting PC yet right?

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Awesome news. I'm a diehard UT guy, so I'm really looking forward to the new title. The question will be how well it'll run on the PowerPC: my G5 is also getting a bit long in the tooth, but I'm not quite to the point where I can justify going over to a Mac Pro (guess I'll wait and see what the next revision has to offer, especially in the way of video cards).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.