Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced that its AI helper, Google Assistant, will begin rolling out to users with smartphones running Android 7.0 Nougat and Android 6.0 Marshmallow. Previously, the company's AI assistant was exclusive to the Pixel smartphone, Google Home, the Google Allo app, and Android Wear devices.

Google Assistant will first arrive to English users in the United States this week, followed soon after with an English debut in Australia, Canada, and the United Kingdom. Support for German speakers will be coming soon, and Google said that it will "continue to add more languages over the coming year." Users with eligible Nougat and Marshmallow devices will automatically gain Google Assistant through Google Play Services.

google-assistant-expansion.jpg
Whether you need to know how to say "nice to meet you" in Korean or just a simple reminder to do laundry when you get home, your Assistant can help. With the Google Assistant on Android phones, you have your own personal, helpful Google right in your pocket.
A few new smartphones will be incorporating Google Assistant from the get-go as well, like the LG G6 and some other "newly announced partner devices." Sony, Huawei, Samsung, and HTC are all listed as companies with Android smartphones that will support Google Assistant.

With the expansion of Google Assistant to more smartphone lines, as well as a future launch on TVs and in cars, Google is continuing to bolster the Assistant's competition against Apple and Siri. Many smartphone vendors are reported to be doubling down on artificial intelligence features for smartphones debuting in 2017 and beyond, including Apple with the "iPhone 8" and an update to Siri that is said to bring more "enhanced" capabilities to the personal assistant.

In its announcement post, Google said that its ultimate goal "is to make the Assistant available anywhere you need it." Google's hope for an AI future was highlighted at a media event in October where it unveiled Google Home, the Pixel smartphone, and more, while connecting everything to its artificial intelligence initiatives.

Previous Coverage: Siri and Pixel's Google Assistant Compete Side-by-Side in New Video

Article Link: MWC 2017: Google Assistant Expands Beyond Pixel to New Android Smartphones

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Did anyone believe that Google would only keep it on a single phone?
Google had probably intended to at the start to better differentiate the Pixel, but when they saw other OEMs retaliating by bundling Alexa, Google realised that they held far less leverage over their own platform than they realised.

This represents the lesser of two evils, but either way, the god has bled and now sharks are swimming in the water.

travwill

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2013
Honestly Siri kinda sucks compared to the other options now. She is good for setting an alarm and that's about it IMHO.

If the iPhone 8 isn't revolutionary, I'm switching away to Google.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Why wait?

I recently switched from iOS to Android (Google Pixel) and the only complaint I have is that I didn't do it sooner.
It's funny because I just switched back to the iPhone 7 Plus from a Nexus 6. While Apple's hardware and iOS is top of the line IMO, Siri is a dog compared to the Google app's voice command function.

Reactions: 5105973

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Google had probably intended to at the start to better differentiate the Pixel, but when they saw other OEMs retaliating by bundling Alexa, Google realised that they held far less leverage over their own platform than they realised.

This represents the lesser of two evils, but either way, the god has bled and now sharks are swimming in the water.

Or it was intended as a killer feature for one phone to push sales that would become the standard for the os....Siri 4S?
[doublepost=1488185622][/doublepost]
Why wait?

I recently switched from iOS to Android (Google Pixel) and the only complaint I have is that I didn't do it sooner.

How would you compare the pixel to iPhone ? I've tried a few galaxy models in the past and the experience was just not there. The closest I liked were the S6 and S7 edge , though i own both of those they are just collectors editions, so never use them.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.

Well, the NSA and other intelligence services could already turn your normal landline or any normal cell phone into a microphone decades ago. All Internet traffic is fetched directly from the backbone routers anyway, they don't necessarily need direct access to anybody's computer or phone to know what you're doing. So these assistants do not potentially add more to the mix than there already was. There never was any privacy on the Internet to begin with...
[doublepost=1488190778][/doublepost]
Siri is a lobotomized AI.

Once you've worked with Amazon's Alexa, you don't want to use any of the other assistants anymore. And since Alexa is an open and developer friendly platform, we will be hearing a lot more of her in the future.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Well, the NSA and other intelligence services could already turn your normal landline or any normal cell phone into a microphone decades ago. All Internet traffic is fetched directly from the backbone routers anyway, they don't necessarily need direct access to anybody's computer or phone to know what you're doing. So these assistants do not potentially add more to the mix than there already was. There never was any privacy on the Internet to begin with...
[doublepost=1488190778][/doublepost]

Once you've worked with Amazon's Alexa, you don't want to use any of the other assistants anymore. And since Alexa is an open and developer friendly platform, we will be hearing a lot more of her in the future.

It's in Apple's best interest to limit Alexa and out do Amazon/Google simultaneously. Taking on two competitors provides iOS users with a competent AI. However, the Tim Cook era is "profits first even if you fall behind." It took till iOS 10 and the iPhone 7/7+ to get Siri open for more developers.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Still waiting for Siri on my iPad 2. :D
[doublepost=1488211307][/doublepost]
How would you compare the pixel to iPhone ? I've tried a few galaxy models in the past and the experience was just not there. The closest I liked were the S6 and S7 edge , though i own both of those they are just collectors editions, so never use them.
I'm not at all intending to hijack your question to @yg17. Just wanted to add in my two cents in hopes that it'd be beneficial to you. :)

I switched from an iPhone to a Nexus 6P (so, not even the latest and great Pixel, mind you) and am really enjoying myself thus far. As a matter of fact, my friend (iPhone owner) asked me over the weekend "If somebody offered you a brand-new iPhone 7 right now, would you take it?" My answer was no. After now using Android for a month (month and a half?), I realize that, in it's current iteration, I have no interest in returning to iOS. Google Now is remarkable. It automatically serves me news based on my interests, serves me a route home from work (with ETA times), serves me weather, as well as intelligently serves me information on locations/restaurants that I walk into. Not to mention the brilliant "Ok, Google" voice recognition which allows me to do a Google search for anything (not a Bing search, which Siri uses). Sharing options within apps as well as notifications are handled far better than in iOS as well.

Anyway, to answer your question -- an Android is not an iPhone. And I believe that a lot of people try Android expecting it to be the same and -- obviously -- end up disappointed because their unrealistic expectation wasn't met. But if you're willing to give Android a try for an extended period of time and use all of it's features, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much MORE Android does for you than iOS. It's what happened to me.

Also, I highly HIGHLY recommend using stock Android (like you'd get with the Pixel) for the absolute best experience.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Siri is a lobotomized AI.

It is. But the changes are coming sooner than later. And with a team of hired engineers to revamp it, I have a feeling it's going to bring some fairly personal, more unique changes.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Still waiting for Siri on my iPad 2. :D
[doublepost=1488211307][/doublepost]
I'm not at all intending to hijack your question to @yg17. Just wanted to add in my two cents in hopes that it'd be beneficial to you. :)

I switched from an iPhone to a Nexus 6P (so, not even the latest and great Pixel, mind you) and am really enjoying myself thus far. As a matter of fact, my friend (iPhone owner) asked me over the weekend "If somebody offered you a brand-new iPhone 7 right now, would you take it?" My answer was no. After now using Android for a month (month and a half?), I realize that, in it's current iteration, I have no interest in returning to iOS. Google Now is remarkable. It automatically serves me news based on my interests, serves me a route home from work (with ETA times), serves me weather, as well as intelligently serves me information on locations/restaurants that I walk into. Not to mention the brilliant "Ok, Google" voice recognition which allows me to do a Google search for anything (not a Bing search, which Siri uses). Sharing options within apps as well as notifications are handled far better than in iOS as well.

Anyway, to answer your question -- an Android is not an iPhone. And I believe that a lot of people try Android expecting it to be the same and -- obviously -- end up disappointed because their unrealistic expectation wasn't met. But if you're willing to give Android a try for an extended period of time and use all of it's features, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much MORE Android does for you than iOS. It's what happened to me.

Also, I highly HIGHLY recommend using stock Android (like you'd get with the Pixel) for the absolute best experience.

Cheers for that. Now very tempted to give the pixel a go. My 6s plus battery is shot, so deciding between an iPhone 7 or pixel

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Cheers for that. Now very tempted to give the pixel a go. My 6s plus battery is shot, so deciding between an iPhone 7 or pixel
What carrier are you on?

If you want my honest opinion, get an Android phone that doesn't cost $800, just in case you aren't satisfied. The OnePlus 3T is a phone nearly as good as the flagship $800 Android phones, at about half the price (the reason I asked about your carrier was because the OnePlus doesn't work on Verizon).

I myself got my used Nexus 6P on eBay for $360.

Get a phone that you can keep a month and really try out. The 14-day return period isn't quite enough if you ask me.

Reactions: MH01

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
What carrier are you on?

If you want my honest opinion, get an Android phone that doesn't cost $800, just in case you aren't satisfied. The OnePlus 3T is a phone nearly as good as the flagship $800 Android phones, at about half the price (the reason I asked about your carrier was because the OnePlus doesn't work on Verizon).

I myself got my used Nexus 6P on eBay for $360.

Get a phone that you can keep a month and really try out. The 14-day return period isn't quite enough if you ask me.

Cheers for the advice. I'm on three in the UK.

Reactions: v0lume4

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
It is. But the changes are coming sooner than later. And with a team of hired engineers to revamp it, I have a feeling it's going to bring some fairly personal, more unique changes.

It's probably not enough since the others are getting better and offer lower price points.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.