Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today announced it has updated its Calendar app with long-awaited iPad support.

google-calendar-ipad-800x400.jpg

The app is essentially the same as the iPhone version, but it is now optimized for the tablet's larger screen. Google said a Today view widget for Notification Center and the Lock screen is coming soon.

Here's a quick overview of the app's features:
o Different ways to view your calendar - Quickly switch between month, week and day view.
o Events from Gmail - Flight, hotel, concert, restaurant reservations and more are added to your calendar automatically.
o To-dos - Use Reminders to create and view to-dos alongside your events.
o Goals - Add personal goals--like "run 3 times a week"--and Calendar will schedule time for them automatically.
o Quick event creation - Smart suggestions for event titles, places and people save you time when creating events.
o All your calendars in one place - Google Calendar works with all calendars on your device, including Exchange and iCloud
Google Calendar can be downloaded for free on the App Store [Direct Link].

Article Link: Google Calendar App Finally Released for iPad

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Oh my god yes finally

And also finally to a notification centre Widget!!!

(Here's hoping its not a tiny widget though and we can interact with it like one is able to on Droid. Might not get that though.)

CAO 303

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2011
NHV CT
This is the first iPhone calendar app I find that actually shows events clearly in the month view. Nice.

Really? I haven't downloaded it, but from the app store details it looks like every other calendar app, where the month view is just a circle around the day and events at the bottom. But at least it's not colored dots.

IMO, Readdle's Calendars5 has the best month view of the several I've tried. The events are actually in words (!) on the day they happen (!!).

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Really? I haven't downloaded it, but from the app store details it looks like every other calendar app, where the month view is just a circle around the day and events at the bottom. But at least it's not colored dots.

IMO, Readdle's Calendars5 has the best month view of the several I've tried. The events are actually in words (!) on the day they happen (!!).

Calendars 5 is great, but Google calendar is also quite great as a free calendar app.

I use Android as well and it's easier to go between iOS and Droid if one uses Google calendar. Plus for my school schedule, everything works seamlessly with Google calendar. Not the case for Calenders 5.

Not everyone may use it, but for those of us who do, Google releasing an iPad version and finally a widget is a long awaited day. Especially for those of us who are cross platform.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
I hope Apple takes some hints from google for the next iOS update for calendar. The scheduling & reporting features are great. Never thought is say such good things about a google product over Apple. There you go.

Reactions: rcooked

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Does not justify anything.
No one said anything about being "justified" (or even good or bad or anything like that), simply addressing the basic reality of it all (which has been around for a long time now).

rcooked

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2015
I hope Apple takes some hints from google for the next iOS update for calendar. The scheduling & reporting features are great. Never thought is say such good things about a google product over Apple. There you go.
Your exactly right. I'm sitting right to see if Apple gets things in gear, but I'm less than optimistic after reading the comments by the Apple exec moving to readle. They really need to get the features upgraded on mail/calendar.

AronDraws

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2014
Burbank, CA
I tried updating an event in the app and it would not let me save. It would pulse when I tapped save but then would not exit. When I hit the X to exit, it just asks me if I want to discard or keep editing. Bugghhhh! lol. Maybe it will get patched.

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
If you were to delete the stock calendar app and replace it with something like this, what functionality would in iOS would stop working? Anything notable?

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
No one said anything about being "justified" (or even good or bad or anything like that), simply addressing the basic reality of it all (which has been around for a long time now).

I think there's a difference in that those companies don't provide a free service in order to profit off selling your data. It seems disengenuous; like a drug dealer approach.

If Google and FB think personal data is worth billions, I really question why people think so little of their own privacy. It's going to come back to haunt society in unimaginable ways; that much is certain.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think there's a difference in that those companies don't provide a free service in order to profit off selling your data. It seems disengenuous; like a drug dealer approach.

If Google and FB think personal data is worth billions, I really question why people think so little of their own privacy. It's going to come back to haunt society in unimaginable ways; that much is certain.
Well, they provide a service, some free some not, and in fact for services you pay for, like internet or TV or phone, and them still data mining this or that, it almost would seem worse then in that sense of it all--you are paying for something (in one way or another) and still having the data mined.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Well, they provide a service, some free some not, and in fact for services you pay for, like internet or TV or phone, and them still data mining this or that, it almost would seem worse then in that sense of it all--you are paying for something (in one way or another) and still having the data mined.

Data mining is not the same as data mining for the purpose of selling your data.

Also, it's one thing for your local grocer to know what foods you buy; it's another to know who your friends are, where you work, health issues, whether you're cheating or faithful, where you are every minute of every day, etc. companies like Google and FB have taken data mining to a whole new level of scary.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Data mining is not the same as data mining for the purpose of selling your data.

Also, it's one thing for your local grocer to know what foods you buy; it's another to know who your friends are, where you work, health issues, whether you're cheating or faithful, where you are every minute of every day, etc. companies like Google and FB have taken data mining to a whole new level of scary.
Seems like those are mostly things one decides to provide or not provide about themselves.

daanodinot

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2015
Great! Next step: switch the web version to Material Design. I'm not willing to switch from Apple Calendar just yet, until Material Design propagated across all platforms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.