Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today updated its collection of productivity apps for iOS with support for the iPhone X, so now anyone who uses Google Docs [Direct Link], Google Sheets [Direct Link], and Google Slides [Direct Link] on Apple's newest smartphone will see full compatibility for the iPhone X's 5.8-inch screen.

google-docs-iphone-x.jpg

Additionally, the same update has introduced drag-and-drop support for all three apps on compatible iPads. This way, users can easily drag and drop content from other apps right into Docs, Sheets, and Slides using multitasking on iPad. The release notes for each app's version 1.2017.46204 update reads as follows:
- iOS 11 and iPhone X support
- In iOS 11, easily drag and drop content from other apps into Slides
- Bug fixes and performance improvements
While Google has now introduced iPhone X support into its productivity apps, it still has yet to roll out compatibility for the iPhone X's screen size with some of its more popular apps, including Google Maps and Gmail. Many other apps were ready with iPhone X updates prior to the smartphone's launch on November 3, and the list is now growing as more developers update their apps following the iPhone X's debut.

Article Link: Google Introduces iPhone X Support for Docs, Sheets, and Slides iOS Apps

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
What I honestly don't get is why it takes so long to do something like this. They've had the development tools for a while haven't they?

If they rush it, and release it at the same time as the iPhone X launch but with bugs, people complain. If they take their time, and release it a few weeks after the iPhone X launch, but without bugs, people complain. Just be glad you got a free update to a free app to use a free service.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Can we please get YouTube PiP support for the iPads?? Seriously! Google even does it on Android... not sure what's the hold up!

Reactions: jimthing

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
If they rush it, and release it at the same time as the iPhone X launch but with bugs, people complain. If they take their time, and release it a few weeks after the iPhone X launch, but without bugs, people complain. Just be glad you got a free update to a free app to use a free service.
twitter, tweetbot, facebook, instagram (and many others) released on launch day without bugs

it can be done, you know

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
At least google is a little more up-to-speed than feedly, which is actually shocking

wall of shame (latest edition):
google maps
google voice
google hangouts
google trips
gmail
snapseed
feedly

Don’t forget SKYPE!!!
[doublepost=1511810473][/doublepost]
Can we please get YouTube PiP support for the iPads?? Seriously! Google even does it on Android... not sure what's the hold up!
They try to sabotage apple, pretty obviously if you ask me.

MacFan23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010

Some of us pay a lot of money to use the service.

Reactions: dr34mc4st3r

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Gyaaadamn that notch is so hideous. Still shocked this is an officially released final product from Apple.

What alternative were you expecting, or is your gripe actually that they adopted FaceID and therefore needed the notch to support that (and just the plain old front-facing camera?)

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
They want to tie background watching to RedTube Subscription.

If it really WAS real background watching, I'd gladly pay for YouTube Red. However, as I see it, even with their subscription, I am not able to use the YouTube iPad app for PiP, but only audio in the background – or am I doing something wrong?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
If it really WAS real background watching, I'd gladly pay for YouTube Red. However, as I see it, even with their subscription, I am not able to use the YouTube iPad app for PiP, but only audio in the background – or am I doing something wrong?
Correct, but there may not be a way to restrict pip to subscribers. I dont know the API.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
They want to tie background watching to RedTube Subscription.

I don’t know about that, I think it’s more due to the fact they can’t regulate PiP as how they can on Android.

With YouTube Red your able to do PiP in Android, without YouTube Red that feature is unavailable. And since PiP is built into iOS, which it’s something you can’t turn into a paywall... Google won’t implement it.

Google gives us SplitView/SlideOver, but that’s about it. I resort to using CornerTube and send videos there to get PiP.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Correct, but there may not be a way to restrict pip to subscribers. I dont know the API.

I don’t know about that, I think it’s more due to the fact they can’t regulate PiP as how they can on Android.

With YouTube Red your able to do PiP in Android, without YouTube Red that feature is unavailable. And since PiP is built into iOS, which it’s something you can’t turn into a paywall... Google won’t implement it.

Google gives us SplitView/SlideOver, but that’s about it. I resort to using CornerTube and send videos there to get PiP.

Couldn't Google simply release two YouTube apps - the normal and the "Red" premium one, last one with unlocked PiP for YouTube Red subscribers? Probably yes, but maybe they don't want to go the "two apps" way ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.