Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Google Maps is on the top of my most wanted list for CarPlay (in my private vehicle).

Does anyone think it'll make its way onto the interface?

I use it daily in my work vehicle (non-CarPlay) as it has more accurate ETA's/traffic, route redirection, an earlier turn prompt with precise lane suggestion & has great cross usage from mobile device to PC browser (Chrome), allowing saving of Favourites to sync across every interface.

All it lacks is the Speedometer of Waze, but that should eventually make its way in as Google seem to update their Maps with significant features, regularly.

Please get my hopes up & tell me it's possible for Google Maps to come to CarPlay!? ;)

Reactions: jiehanzheng

randomplaydo

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2014
I seriously doubt that Apple will allow third party nav apps on carplay any time soon, if at all. It's one of those quirks like not allowing us to set non-apple apps as native for email or browser.

Obviously, I can't speak to your experience in Australia, but here in Boston, MA (USA) I've found that Apple maps has definitely caught up to Google maps in terms of routing. What I've noticed though is that with Apple maps it overestimates the travel time - i.e. I've put the same location in apple maps and google maps and it gave me the SAME exact route, but two different ETA's for getting there. Google's was more accurate, but in reality Apple didn't take me any longer than google did.

Another thing I've seen is that when setting the priority to "quickest route" in Apple maps, it will often take me off the beaten path. Google maps seems to prioritize shortest route over quickest, even when it's not the fastest way to get somewhere. So Apple will have me drive, literally, around the city instead of straight through it because I'll still save 4 or 5 minutes with the extra distance included since there's no traffic the way it sends me. It's weird, but I'd rather save time than go in a straight line that takes forever.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Reason why I hold faith is that the iPhone didn't originally have Google Maps (nor YouTube) included for some time, but they eventually succumbed & had those Apps added to the App Store........

AllStarMe441

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2017
I'm considering making the switch to android simply because I hate apple maps so much. It regularly gives me incorrect directions (either destination or route) it often has trouble finding local restaurants (and instead gives me directions to similarly named places in other cities) and doesn't have many of the features of google maps (lane suggestions, etc). Anyone on here have any experience with android auto?

harlenmm77

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2016
Yes. It works much better than Apple car play. I'm considering connecting my old nexus 5 to my car and creating a hot spot every time I get in the car just so I can get google maps back. Although I will admit that Apple maps is much nicer to look at than google maps.

Reactions: jiehanzheng

StuBFrost

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2016
Manchester, England
I find google maps to be rubbish for displaying traffic in the uk. I leave the house early for work and it shows me traffic issues all over the place but I drive past them and see no traffic. It basically shows where traffic is likely to be later on which is no use to me.

Apple maps on the other hand gets it traffic data from Tomtom so only shows where traffic actually is.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Can we not turn this into a childish IOS v Android thing...

Apple Maps gets the basics wrong - a GPS program should have the ETA/Distance to Location displayed all the time. Instead Apple decided to replace this information with the 'next turn' info for much of the trip. In order to view those key details, you need to turn Guidance off....very puzzling decision this.

Apple Maps is also too late with its final repeated turn instructions. This is particularly detrimental when coming up to a busy intersection & you don't hear the 'turn right into____ street' until it's too late to merge onto the only right turning lane...Google Maps repeats this turn instruction much sooner & has better lane selection instructions also.

Last edited:
Reactions: up2pixy

buckZor

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
To the point of the topic I too support the freedom of choice, hopefully Google Maps adds CarPlay support.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Google and Apple aren't the best of friends - I wouldn't blame either one but maybe both

danwells

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2015
The incredible annoyance of this (at least where I live) is that Apple Maps has no offline capability. I'd be happy to pay for a mapping app that did (and use up phone storage for the map), because the places I get lost are generally where there isn't cell service. There are plenty of mapping apps that let you cache maps, but CarPlay is Apple Maps only, and it is the only current mapping app that has no caching at all (except on an active route)... I want to be able to cache a state or two worth of maps (most of northern New England), so I can create new routes or just see what's around without worrying about the frequent service dropouts.

Reactions: 5pctoff

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
ok this is an old thread but even if we were ok with apple maps, UAE does not have Apple Maps. Its sad to have a car play auto without any benefits.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
ok this is an old thread but even if we were ok with apple maps, UAE does not have Apple Maps. Its sad to have a car play auto without any benefits.
So you can't see this in the UAE?
IMG_4802.jpg

navigates

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
The maps application opens. You can also find POI's (Although very limited though) but turn by turn navigation does not exist. Its no where close to google maps. Google Maps is an Ace Application and apple is just being arrogant. There is an upgrade on my Audi which I can do to get car play on it but without google maps carplay is almost pointless.

essential

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2008
What I don't understand is why you can't use CarPlay and your phone at the same time. Ideally, I'd be running Google Maps on my phone while CarPlay is displaying and allowing me to control my music. If Apple won't let Google Maps on the CarPlay screen, the least they can do is allow CarPlay and the phone to be working at the same time, the phones are plenty powerful enough to support that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.