Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At a media event in New York City earlier this month, Google previewed a new low-light camera feature called "Night Sight" that uses machine learning to choose the right colors based on the content of the image. The result is much brighter photos in low-light conditions, without having to use flash.

Google showed a side-by-side comparison of two unedited photos shot in low light with an iPhone XS and its latest Pixel 3 smartphone with Night Sight, and the photo shot on the latter device is much brighter.

pixel-night-sight-800x318.jpg

Google said Night Sight will be available next month for its Pixel smartphones, but an XDA Developers forum member managed to get the feature to work ahead of time, and The Verge's Vlad Savov tested out the pre-release software on a Pixel 3 XL. The results, pictured below, are simply remarkable.

low-light-1.jpg
Without Night Sight

high-light-1.jpg
With Night Sight

low-light-2.jpg
Without Night Sight

high-light-2.jpg
With Night Sight

low-light-3.jpg
Without Night Sight

high-light-3.jpg
With Night Sight

Google and Apple are both heavily invested in computational photography. On the latest iPhones, for example, Smart HDR results in photos with more highlight and shadow detail, while Depth Control significantly improves Portrait Mode. But, Night Sight takes low-light smartphone photography to a whole new level.

Article Link: Google's Upcoming 'Night Sight' Mode for Pixel Phones Captures Remarkable Low-Light Photos

Reactions: imtoomuch

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Photos in pitch black darkness. OK. Kinda cool. Not anti-android/google nor pro-Apple by any stretch. But I'll be curious to hear of any outcry for Apple to incorporate a response. Will customers soon demand their phone be able to jumpstart their car or walk the dog next?

Last edited:

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
This is great for landscape photography, but will be useless with capturing people in the moment without being "smeary." It seems like an easy software implementation to just tell the camera to keep the exposure open for 5 seconds just like any other mirrorless or DSLR camera.

Now if this works with "instant shutter" then I'll be blown away.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
I... I don't think I can get behind this.

If I'm shooting at night, it's for a reason. I'd much rather have a camera capable of rendering what I'm actually seeing versus one that can apply a filter to turn night into day. This is essentially the same kind of thing that Prism does, turning a photo into "art." It's no longer reality.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Sorry but I have to call BS where I see it. Unless I'm missing something specific about the lighting in these images (please feel free to correct me if I am), they're ********. I've been taking plenty of low light shots on my iPhone XS without flash because I never use flash, and they're great.

I'm not saying Google hasn't made some kind of advancement, but it's hard to tell when they're obviously faking these images.

EDIT: I get it its The Verge that posted these pictures, but the fact that there's something screwy still stands. I've never taken awful low light photos like what is in the article.

Last edited:

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007

If I'm shooting at night, it's for a reason. I'd much rather have a camera capable of rendering what I'm actually seeing versus one that can apply a filter to turn night into day. This is essentially the same kind of thing that Prism does, turning a photo into "art." It's no longer reality.

So like, turn it off?

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
Yeah, pretty cool. But as far as computational photography goes, I think Apple’s smart HDR is more useful. When shooting in pitch blackness, one can always use flash anyway. Night shots even with ‘night sight’ will always look grainy on the small sensor of a smartphone. I’d much rather have skies that aren’t blown out and detail in shaded areas when shooting in daylight. But hey, that’s me. It’s all good. Competition only benefits us the consumer.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Very impressive. I wonder what would happen if the items were not in somewhat predictable colors, instead of red fire extinguishers they were pink? Perhaps they use a very high ISO mode to get colors and details at expense of noise and the redo a lower ISO image based on the analysis of that image?

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
This is truly a big step forward for very low light smartphone technology - Google hit it out of the park with their camera work again. I thought the original photo example at the launch event was a fake, but now that people can sideload a prerelease version of the app and are showing the results it looks like its for real, these are handheld, the shutter isn't just open 5 seconds - supposedly this will go out in the Pixel software update next month.

Would rather have Apple pushing the limits of smartphone photography since they were for quite a while, but Google has been in the drivers seat these last two cycles (Pixel 2 and 3).

The other really cool thing is Google is backporting this feature to the Pixel 2 and Pixel 1 as well and the super low light pictures on the Pixel 1 are equally impressive (about 1/2 way down the comments in The Verge article which has added more night pictures).

That's something I doubt Apple would do instead of their pattern of only the best features for the current iPhone's - but is something Apple should do once they figure out how to emulate this.

Last edited:

edgonzalez32

Suspended
Jul 21, 2011
Best part about this is that it's coming to Pixel 1 and 2 as well. Super excited to start using it on my 2 xl. I hope Apple adopts something similar. More importantly, I hope it's a feature they introduce to phones going back to the iPhone 8.

Reactions: Delgibbons

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Night Sight is closer to reality. Or did you think The Verge editor was stumbling all over his house and the street in pitch black?

edgonzalez32

Suspended
Jul 21, 2011

Then turn it off. Majority of users that are shooting at night are just trying to shoot a moment.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Very impressive. I wonder what would happen if the items were not in somewhat predictable colors, instead of red fire extinguishers they were pink? Perhaps they use a very high ISO mode to get colors and details at expense of noise and the redo a lower ISO image based on the analysis of that image?
The colors won't change. It draws out the color already there, not create new colors.

It's something RAW shooters have been doing for years: shoot underexposed and then draw out the details post production. We do it in tricky lighting. ie a spot where normal exposure would completely blowout one section of the picture. There is no way to retrieve data when the it's 255 255 255 RGB (completely white). The "black" in the raw isn't all 0 0 0 RGB (completely black) so some details can be recovered.

So Google does this now in the phone. Nice trick, but I prefer doing it in during post production.

Merode

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Warsaw, Poland

Have you ever tried taking picture at night? Night Shift seems to actually reproduce what eyes see instead of pitch black.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.